Started by Menion, December 05, 2019, 13:54:23

Menion

Important links
- this time without a blogpost
- list of news of public versions

Versions
5. 12. 2019 - Locus 3.42.0
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Andrew Heard

3.42 Pro had blank release notes at startup & menu > About > Release Notes.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Menion

Thanks Andrew, I've noticed it as well ... just a too late. The little stupid system when I always create notes for Free version and then copy&paste them to Pro version ... and this time I have a) forget to copy and b) forget to manually check if Pro version is generated correctly.
News are on the help desk (link in the first post).

Andrew Heard

I like reading a long list of changes. It's a sign that lots of development is happening! Locus is almost unique in the level of detail in release notes.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: 0709, alek

Tapio

To me also looks like a good and solid release. As for release notes, I'm happy with the way you do it. We all know lame Google/Spotify release notes which go like "bug fixes and improvements".
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

balloni55

Hello menion,
perhaps you implement "stabilized GPS" by accident to PRO and so it didnĀ“t work.
BTW in Beta it work well ;)
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Menion

@balloni55
heh funny. This seems to be a side effect of the installed Beta version.

Thanks all for the valuable feedback. Few comments:

• The size of the buttons is indeed a little larger. It may look that there is a lot of white space, but it is part of buttons. There were resized from previous 48px to 56px (so +25%). Size of images remains the same. Reason? Better usability in the field = easier to press.
  • zoom buttons: definitely optional! and definitely enabled by default. During the activity, mainly on the bike, pinch zoom is quite useless
  • Size of zoom buttons: they are not so wide as before but the touch area is higher. It is the same as in for example route planner in the current version.
  • Cover of the map: agree there should be setup to have the map as clear as possible. I'll for sure try to clear almost (if not all) all components optional, so it should be possible to have a map as fullscreen as possible with additional components.
  •  

Tapio

When I create a waypoint it has the field "Created" in hh:mm format, could you please add seconds, just as you did for trackpoints?
Also, "Last updated" field in POI has no seconds.

Quite a serious issue that in the configurable main menu you cannot make hidden (red) entries reappear. They are lost.
  •  

Tapio

Menion, creation time, it's already there in the beta, I was just saying it should include seconds, if it's there, at least for consistency.
  •  

slarti76

I was on a longer holiday and did quite some editing of tracks. A few things I noticed:

• When deleting a trackpoint or an inner part, the selection jumps not to the next point (delete trackpoint) or the endpoint of the deleted section, but to the point after that. Depending on the track, this may be much further away. Little annoying.
  • When the track has a gap/gaps and I insert trackpoints somewhere before that gap, sometimes the gap moves. I don't have specific steps, couldn't figure out when this happens (perhaps in 1/4 of the cases), but perhaps you can have a look if there's something that might trigger such behavior, because when it happens, it's definitely wrong.
  • And, more a wish: It's nice that the insert/edit trackpoint function has undo/redo, but it would be much nicer if the whole track edit had that. Especially with Delete trackpoint it's easy to accidentally delete the wrong trackpoint and then there's no way back (apart from importing a backup, if you happen to have it).
  •  

slarti76

Another thing in 3.42, about the wider side menus:
As the screenshot shows, on small devices the "bar" almost covers the whole screen. That's OK, but I think the design, especially of the points one, is more than suboptimal:
- Icon column takes up a lots of whitespace with a very small icon in it (and weirdly more space to the right than to the left)
- Name column second line is cut off by the "eye" column, which is especially unnice in this case, where the icons are active. The first line at least has a "...", but the second one is really cut off without any whitespace.
- Also, first and second line have the same vertical space as between row and horizontal line. Decresing this makes it more obvious that these belong together, and also allows for more rows to be displayed.
- And nitpicking: The grey vertical line separating rows to the right ends just a few pixel before the "selected eye" background
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: menion on December 17, 2019, 08:05:12
@tapio
I know creation time is already there. I was curious about why you need "seconds".
Ah I see. Not really "need". My autistic mind was speaking 😁 a) consistency b) if information is there, provide it if it does no harm. Someone could need it.
  •  

Menion

Hi guys,
I've split this topic into two parts. One related to the current production version of Locus Map & Beta testing etc and second related to work on new design & features in Locus Map 4. Second is here.

@slarti76
thanks for the complex feedback!

"Deleting trackpoint": if I edit and delete for example trackpoint number 100, then after this operation, map should move to the new point number 100 (so to next point). This does not work like this for you?

"Moving gap": this is for sure possible, but exact steps are unfortunately needed.

"Undo/redo": a little too complex task for now.

List of nearest points "needs more love", I know it. What you see with the second line is a little surprising, because there should be three dots at the end of line, weird. Anyway currently style is exactly the same (sizes of icons, white space etc.) that is used globally across the whole app and that is also suggested as a guide-line. I'm currently reworking some screens, so I'll keep your feedback in my mind: agree it should be improved.

@tapio
Oki, so seconds are not needed :). Then I see no reason to have them in the app.
  •  

T-mo

idea:
- pause navigation
when I was on holiday and on the way back from france to germany, I decided to hit a nearby supermarket to save delicious souvenirs. As navigation was over a longer distance and set so far perfect, I just wanted to make everything 'pause, being idle' until I would be back on the track and continue the journey, without any re-calculation or anything. As the traffic was busy and the surrounding unused, I still wished myself a freeze-button.
- being-in-action-button (keep screen on for some attention-time)
being in Paris-rush-hour and traffic I needed to keep the screen on to check the street-possibilities at any time. My current mode was via 'waving' (I love it), but still needed the screen on at that time to have free hands and overview  ::)

Yes, once again you find myself trapped in traffic-topics again  :D 8)

Menion

New Beta version 3.42.0.7 just published with few serious bug-fixes.

In the case of no other complains, this will be a release version. Testing may be useful not just to verify that some reported problems are solved, but also to confirm that work on Locus Map 4 does not break any existing functionality (as I mentioned many times, most of source code is shared).

@T-mo
thanks for the idea. It makes sense so I've added it to my list of "todo" tasks once I find more time to improve navigation system (hopefully during Q2/2020).
  •