Point is not stored

Started by Squeaky_Fish, October 20, 2019, 18:43:53

Squeaky_Fish

Trying to add a Waypoint to a Multicache solution so I can navigate there later, but keep getting a notice saying "Point is not stored.  Any changes to it may be lost."

Waypoint initially shows up but leaving the cache listing and returning and it disappears (obviously the message is correct.)

I'm getting another error but I'm not sure it is related.  When adding the point and selecting a point from the map, I get an error against the Coordinates; "Wrong item Latitude" and "Wrong item Longitude", although it seems to allow them and put the temporary waypoint in the correct place.

Although temporary, whilst it persists, it does have some link the original GC as the original GC number is attached in the popup.

I've checked storage setting and all is supposedly running from phone, not the SD card.

Any ideas?
  •  

Viajero Perdido

Sounds like you're trying to make a permanent change to a temporary geocache object, one brought in via Geocaching4Locus.  Right?

Try saving the object to a folder (effectively making it permanent), then modifying it.  Or simply switch completely to offline caching using PQs.

balloni55

the problem results from the "degree character" and will be fixed in the next update.
Until then, you can delete the "degree character" to save the point.
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4

Squeaky_Fish

Quote from: balloni55 on October 23, 2019, 07:18:03
the problem results from the "degree character" and will be fixed in the next update.
Until then, you can delete the "degree character" to save the point.
Interesting, as this is Locus entering the character not me.
But glad to see it is known and will be fixed.
Thanks balloni55
  •  

Squeaky_Fish

Quote from: Viajero Perdido on October 23, 2019, 04:11:59
Sounds like you're trying to make a permanent change to a temporary geocache object, one brought in via Geocaching4Locus.  Right?

Try saving the object to a folder (effectively making it permanent), then modifying it.  Or simply switch completely to offline caching using PQs.

Thanks for your help on this.

Yes, using G4L.  My workflow is generally to use GC Offinizer to enable the cache for offline, then if it is a puzzle or multi, add a waypoint with the final coords.  Once all done, I then create a track for my days caching.
I've been busy moving house for the last couple of months and just managed to start Caching again and was sure the above workflow worked before.

On recreating the scenario to write this message, I've just realised something.  GC Offinizer is saying Finished, but also "Nothing to Download".  Maybe this is the key and it is not getting downloaded and stored locally.

If the above is incorrect, can you advise what is the proper way for me to add a waypoint related to an existing cache, such as when I look at the GC page, I can see my related waypoint to the final coordinates?

I was sure this was the correct route, otherwise why would the waypoint tab invite me to add some waypoints?
  •  

Viajero Perdido

Hi again.

"Nothing to download" happens a lot with the GC Offlinizer; many caches simply don't have any images.  I don't see anything unusual there.

I'll clarify my earlier comments.  G4L's "live map" feature creates temporary cache objects that aren't stored in any named folder; they can be expected to disappear soon.  I've never tried to "offlinize" a live-map cache and don't know what would happen; that would be making an expected-to-be-permanent change to something that'll disappear shortly.

If you want to "offlinize" caches, or manually make changes (eg adding multi waypoints), you should be doing this to permanently stored waypoints, eg in a named folder.  You can get caches into named folders by loading PQs, by bulk-downloading in G4L ("nearest"), or one-by-one using the copy-to feature from a live-map cache.

Hope that makes sense.  :)  I generally do everything offline with PQs, which works quite well.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Menion

Squeaky_Fish

Had a play around with the options you suggested and also the "Import Live map geocaches" option.
The latter seemed to suit my requirements quite well and indeed saving them to a named folders allowed me to add the waypoint, as required.

I also noted that adding waypoint coords in the official website as a Note, they were picked up in Locus as a user waypoint.

So, I've got where I needed to be and learned a lot about how things with Locus and G4L work in the process.

Thanks for all your help.
  •