tar map format - search for example and/or specifications

Started by asw28, July 28, 2019, 16:32:00

asw28

Hi everybody
I'm trying to create a tar file which I can import in Locus. Till now I didn't suceed. Does anybody have specification about the files inside the tar? I have a .map file and an image.
Does anybody have an example map in the tar format which works with Locus? Or does somebody have further specifications? The Locus docs are in this case not very helpful.
I can't use the 'easy formats' like sqlite because they don't support the projection of my map.
Thanks in advance!
  •  

Menion

Hello,
I highly recommend not to use TAR maps. Locus Map still support them (tiles needs to be split to map tiles  + calibration "map" file). Better support is for SQLite based map that may be created by for example mapc2mapc application.

Anyway, I've attached one small TAR maps that should work, to see it's structure.

Menion
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: asw28

asw28

Hi Menion
Thanks a lot! I will try to adapt this to my case.
As far as I have seen you're in the Locus developer team? The reason I asked for tar is because SQLite and MBTiles only support Web mercator projection. My map has a "swiss grid"-projection. Which format would you suggest to import maps that don't have web mercator projection?
I know there is some support for "Swiss grid" projection in Locus, because the "Swiss Topo" Maps that are avaiable in the Locus store use this projection too. How are these maps stored when downloaded?

Marc
  •  

Menion

Hello Marc,

this is correct, I have a luck and I'm part of Locus Map team :).
You are absolutely correct, SQLite + MBT does not by default support other map projections than base Mercator system. In this case, TAR make sense and also because of this (mainly), TAR format is still support for read-only in Locus Map.

So I'll correct my answer before: do not use TAR until you know what you do. Anyway, TAR format will be supported by Locus Map in the future as well.

As I know, mentioned Mapc2maps application is able to reproject maps from one projection to another, so we use it as a solution for some maps we offer in Locus Store as well.

And Swiss maps in application: they use WMTS server for download that already offer EPSG3857 projection, so it's safe so use SQLite as storage.

Menion
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: asw28