Locus Map for Garmin

Started by Jan Čapek, April 17, 2019, 10:14:43

Jan Čapek

Hello!

on behalf of WearSoft and with cooperation with Locus Map team, I want to introduce you new application which enables you to benefit from advanced features of Locus Map while using your Garmin device.

FEATURES
With Locus Map for Garmin you can
1) use it as main activity application which enables you:
-- display real-time data from Locus Map running on your smartphone in your Garmin:
---- maps incl. any overlays (no need for native map support of Garmin device!)
---- navigation
---- guidance
---- track recording
---- device status (battery, GPS.. )
-- record activities, provide their statistics and store them on Garmin Connect
-- see map stored on your Garmin device (on supported devices)
2) export routes from your smartphone to your Garmin to navigate them with other activity apps (on devices supporting navigation features)

QUICK SETUP & DEVICES COMPATIBILITY & USER GUIDE & FAQ & TROUBLESHOOTING
https://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:user_guide:add-ons:locusforgarmin

DIRECT DOWNLOAD
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.wearsoft.locus.addon.ciq

Please let us know what you think! I am here to answer all your questions.

Jan Čapek

Hello, new version 0.9.0 now supports much wider range of Garmin devices and also adds screen with native Garmin maps if supported by device. 
  •  

sbouju

Too fast paid the full version with Lo Coins, none of my Garmin units being compatible :(

•  

Menion

Good day sbojuju,
please give Jan information which device you own. As I know, some are planned this month.

If none of your devices will be planned, let me know and I'll, of course, refunds your purchase.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Jan Čapek

Hello all,

past week was busy. We released more versions during these days. But you can now enjoy (in version 1.1.0):

- much more supported devices (check it here: https://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:user_guide:add-ons:locusforgarmin#devices_compatibility)
- new disclaimer screen to advise how to see more data screens
- updated preview mode
- and lots of smaller fixes and layout improvements

Enjoy and if you spot some issue, don't hesitate to let me know!

Jan

Papaluna

Hello Jan,

reading the news about your app in my Locus Pro app on my smartphone, i was really excited about that improvement for my most preferred combination of device which i used for hiking trips.
Although i used dedicated gps devices during my bicycle + hiking trip in the past 15 years, since 2 years for hiking i prefer using LocusMap Pro on a Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 together with a Garmin Fenix 3 HR.
A more easy transfer of tracks from Locus to Fenix and the option to get navigation turn advices would be a helpful enhancement to this combination.

At the moment Fenix 3 HR doesn't seems to be supported.
How far are you with your considerations about app for Fenix 3HR ?
  •  

Jan Čapek

Hi Papaluna,

we would love to add support also for Fenix 3 devices, but unfortunately they don't have enough resources (memory) to run such complex app. Currently we are still trying to find if there is way how to bring to this devices  more than just already planned track import functionality. For this reason, I can't commit to any publish date yet.

Jan
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Kalti94

Papaluna

Hi Jan,

many thanks for your reply.
Yes, i'm aware that the Fenix 3 series and some other device have limited storage (~24Mb).
Probably the only way might be to drop some functions.
But which ones!?
And it is a higher effort to maintain 2 version.
So i will wait, hoping you will find a solution.

kind regards
Gert
  •  

Theo

Just decided to buy a Garmin Forerunner 945 after I read that now, there is also Locus Maps support. :)

I really like the combination of Locus Maps and the GPS watch.
It also seems to work pretty solid thus far even though I wasn't yet able to test a lot.

That said, I already like to suggest two more features which would improve the binding a lot for me:

1. If I start recording from my phone, it won't record the heart rate data from the watch. It would be really awesome to have the watch heart rate data in the track record if there is no other heart-rate-device mounted.

2. If I start recording with the watch, my locus app on the smartphone won't start tracking (At least, it won't show the track recording screen). Would be cool if I a device-started recording would be in sync with the phone app.

Best regards
Theo

•  

Jan Čapek

Hi Theo,

Thanks for your suggestions.

1) You can do this even now if you enable heart rate sharing via your HR Widget on your watch. After that Locus Map can be paired via ANT+ to the watch via HR sensor configuration. Embed this feature directly to Garmin Locus Map application is not planned for near feature, but we will note it to our "possible future stuff" list. :)

2) Those two recordings are separated for reasons. There are also users who are using them together for purpose. But we are planning to make control of Locus Map recording from watch, which will basically do what you are requesting. So stay tuned for next versions!

Best Regards, Jan
  •  

sbouju

Quote from: menion on May 02, 2019, 14:58:18
Good day sbojuju,
please give Jan information which device you own. As I know, some are planned this month.

If none of your devices will be planned, let me know and I'll, of course, refunds your purchase.

Hi Menion, and sorry for the delay, I had not seen your message before...

And yes, none of my (too old) Garmin units is compatible with this app, but I had agreed it is my fault, as a demo mode was available before the purchase! ;)
  •  

Jan Čapek

Hi all,

for those who didn't yet find out hard way - Locus Map for Garmin for lots of users currently doesn't work as the Garmin app can't connect to Locus Map in smartphone. This is because of Garmin's unexpected change in Garmin Connect Mobile 4.20 resulting of fail of lots of Connect IQ apps which use local communication.

We are in touch with Garmin teams and they are working on solution, but we don't have confirmed day of fix from them yet. Unfortunately it is not possible to make workaround on our side, so until the resolution the only way how to make the app work again is to downgrade Garmin Connect to version 4.19. The installation file is available here:
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/garmin/garmin-connect-mobile/garmin-connect-mobile-4-19-1-release/

We are sorry for inconvenience.
  •  

Kalti94

After solving the problems with Garmin.
Can you check why the Fenix 3 and Fenix 3 HR are not supported while the outdated Vivoactive HR and the new Fenix 5 are?
  •  

Jan Čapek

Hi Kalti, the reason is that Fenix 3 has even less memory then those two mentioned models and current version simply do not fit there. But currently we are working hard to make it work even on Fenix3 models - we hope to release public version compatible with your watch in next few weeks.
  •  

Jan Čapek

Hello, for all with Fenix 3 or Forerunner 230/235 watches - check out the newest version! :)
  •