Help! How can I priority display Parking spaces?

Started by Tapio, March 05, 2019, 17:31:23

Tapio

Hi,

I want to edit an existing theme like "Elevate". What I want is, I want to have Parking on top of everything else no matter what. So that I can easily find parking spaces.
Because currently, I changed it to display from ZL15 onwards. But still in some zoom levels "P" symbol  is shown, then in another it is not shown because something else is displayed.

So, how is Priority done? Where do I want to look for documentation. "Mapsforge themes" is that the topic?

Look, there's XML stuff like this...

Thx!

<rule e="any" k="amenity" v="parking" zoom-min="15">
<rule e="any" k="access" v="private|destination|acc_no">
<symbol src="file:/ele_res_l/s_parking_private.png" />
</rule>
<rule e="any" k=" " v="~">
<symbol src="file:/ele_res_l/s_parking.png" />
</rule>
<rule e="node" k="*" v="*" zoom-min="14">
<caption k="ele" dy="28.1" font-size="9" font-style="bold" fill="#0092DA" stroke="#FFFFFF" stroke-width="2.00" />
</rule>
</rule>

Priority is a terrible thing in Locus. Like, on a world map, it does not display "New York City", but it loves to display "Dead dog memorial of an unknown NYC citizen", or "Saint George Kindergarten". etc etc
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest

Andrew Heard

Quote from: tapio on March 05, 2019, 17:31:23
Priority is a terrible thing in Locus. Like, on a world map, it does not display "New York City", but it loves to display "Dead dog memorial of an unknown NYC citizen", or "Saint George Kindergarten". etc etc
+1
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Tapio

I think it's a hopeless affair. I will see if I can do something for Routeconverter software for PC. Locus does seem to ignore priority tags. I also tried mapsforge v4 themes and maps. There's even additional problems: A world full of half painted icons and text.

It would be very attractive for me to prioritize stuff I am interested in. This is parking, huts and shelters etc...
  •  

michaelbechtold

The only remedy is when Menion not only takes the mapsforge library as such as a base for the Locus core, but in addtion applies the concept of its "Label Layer" (like Cruiser does).
MF alone, w/o LL, is crappy, too, when it comes to labels.
  •  

Tapio

Oh, this discussion is from 2016 and tells me: it's a terrible topic.

https://www.openandromaps.org/oam-forums/topic/daten-fuer-offline-adresssuche-moeglich

QuoteEs ist viel besser mit mapsforge 0.5 und höher, insbesondere mit aktivierten Label-Layer (was aber wieder nur Cruiser unterstützt), die Erfahrungen von Gervin sind schon richtig. Durch Prioritätensetzung ist das schon recht gut.
Locus hat einen anderen Weg beschritten, um möglichst viele Namen darzustellen: die Eliminierung von überlappenden Namen wurde abgeschaltet/geändert, was dazu führt, dass Namen Symbol verdrängen und Namen sich überlappen. Dadurch wird das ganze manchmal unübersichtlich, insbesondere bei den kleinen Kartenkacheln von Locus.
  •  

Tapio

A solution for me that I can see can only be a massively stripped down theme. Where I can turn off display of almost anything except the stuff I mentioned. But oh, the xml is not easy to handle.
  •  

Tobias

Quote from: michaelbechtold on March 06, 2019, 08:56:46
The only remedy is when Menion not only takes the mapsforge library as such as a base for the Locus core, but in addtion applies the concept of its "Label Layer" (like Cruiser does).
MF alone, w/o LL, is crappy, too, when it comes to labels.
Current mapsforge (not the Locus fork, so in Locus with V4 maps) is quite fine with labels (and priorities), except on tile borders. Only this last issue is solved with the label layer. It's not very likely that the label layer will be included in Locus soon, but at least larger tile sizes will come very soon, and therefore a lot less of those problematic tile borders:
https://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=6434.msg53911
Quote from: tapio on March 06, 2019, 09:37:12
A solution for me that I can see can only be a massively stripped down theme. Where I can turn off display of almost anything except the stuff I mentioned. But oh, the xml is not easy to handle.
This is already implemented in Elevate, just switch of every other overlay than "Car"; it will work better with V4 maps though.
developer of Elevate mapstyle for OpenAndroMaps
  •  

Tapio

I read about that tile size thing, yeah... So this is promising, if Locus respects priority tags then I will be able to create specific themes...

Quote from: Tobias on March 06, 2019, 22:44:00This is already implemented in Elevate, just switch of every other overlay than "Car"; it will work better with V4 maps though.
Yes I know and also Elemensts offered it. I changed the Elements XML slightly: allowed to display Parking starting at ZL15. But look e.g. N51.34485,E007.7955.
"P" Icon shows at ZL15, not at ZL16, but again at ZL17. This is the joys I try to prevent :D
Map I used is the OAM Germany North.

I was also thinking if there may be a way to export specific POI from the map itself and then import to Locus, as POIs. Because, Locus has no Parking in the POIdb. But they do exist.
  •  

Tapio

My current tests with mf4 (I use Voluntary Mapsforge for this) and Locus were rather bad. E.g., I increased a bench size, want to see it from ZL14 onwards and stay on top no matter what, so I added priority. It does not display often. Quite a few ZL>14 where benches will not display at all. Not sure if it is a tile size problem.
Or, on new mapsforge maps, does Locus not know about priority yet?

<rule e="node" k="amenity" v="bench" zoom-min="14">
<symbol src="file:../vol_res/svg/bench.svg" symbol-scaling="size" symbol-height="32" symbol-width="32" priority="105" />
</rule>
  •  

Tobias

Quote from: tapio on March 07, 2019, 13:35:41
"P" Icon shows at ZL15, not at ZL16, but again at ZL17. This is the joys I try to prevent :D
As I wrote above - tile borders are with V4+ maps the only problem. The more you zoom in, the more map tiles are used, the more borders you get with the possibility of missing icons. As long as there are the tiny 256px map tiles in Locus there are a lot tile borders. When map tiles are scaled according to display pixel density, you will have e.g. 768px map tiles (for e.g. 480ppi displays), but this is work in progress (and works already fine in other apps).

Quote from: tapio on March 07, 2019, 14:03:22
My current tests with mf4 (I use Voluntary Mapsforge for this) and Locus were rather bad. E.g., I increased a bench size, want to see it from ZL14 onwards and stay on top no matter what, so I added priority. It does not display often. Quite a few ZL>14 where benches will not display at all. Not sure if it is a tile size problem.
No, benches are in the map from ZL17 on (see https://www.openandromaps.org/map-basics-2/tag-mapping), so changing this via theme doesn't work (exceptions may occur when a different tag with an lower zoom appear is on the same node).
Or, on new mapsforge maps, does Locus not know about priority yet?
With current mapsforge engine (at the moment hard coded to V4+ maps) it does, but not with Locus own engine (hard coded to V3 maps).

developer of Elevate mapstyle for OpenAndroMaps
  •  

Tapio

Quote from: Tobias on March 07, 2019, 20:38:57No, benches are in the map from ZL17 on (see https://www.openandromaps.org/map-basics-2/tag-mapping), so changing this via theme doesn't work (exceptions may occur when a different tag with an lower zoom appear is on the same node).
Well, looks like things are even more complicated than I expected :-D
  •  

john_percy

You could download a set of POIs from, for example, PocketGPSWorld (free registration needed) and import into Locus. The downside of this is that there are just so many of this sort of POI that it would both slow down the display and clutter it. I think that's why Parking POIs are no longer in the Locus database.
Somewhere on this forum there is a reference to exporting the POIs from the OSM data directly but I can't find it at the moment.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •