[POLL] - what to do in 2011!

Started by Menion, December 16, 2010, 11:22:56

This feature I really need!

route recording (by Locus - so own implementation)
9 (27.3%)
route recording (MyTracks integration)
9 (27.3%)
directions (only online thanks to OSM!)
7 (21.2%)
navigation along route (not voice, just azimuth and distance along points)
7 (21.2%)
online POI searching (any world database suggestion?)
8 (24.2%)
faster work with POI
9 (27.3%)
Google MyMaps viewing
10 (30.3%)
Google MyMaps also editing
8 (24.2%)
nicer GUI (generally graphics improvements - write bellow if any idea)
0 (0%)
support for WMS
5 (15.2%)
all is perfect, no need for any big features!
2 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: December 16, 2010, 11:22:56

Menion

I have created a little poll, that helps to choose next steps for next year. My priorities are clear - Maps, showing, downloading, working with. But next? It's a little bit up to you ... so, vote in poll and write post, if you want to say me something really important ;)

PS: you may vote for three things ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

onelook

Tracks:
- import KML tracks
- show selected tracks over map
- record new track
- export to KML
  •  

ryozo

hope we can have our own track (locus provided) recording by first quarter. :D
Welcome to the Android world!
  •  

Menion

hmm,
  seems that route record by own implementation is winning ... :)

but, do you all know what I mean by MyTracks integration and what this brings? Simple answer. MyTracks is actively developed by 4 experienced people. I'm alone! MyTracks is specialized on route record, Locus is very complex! MyTracks integration is partially completed in testing 0.9.0 version. In finale, I hope that you just pres start record, stop record, show recorded tracks buttons and you'll not feel difference if in background runs service from MyTracks or my own. If this should work, I'm sure that using MyTracks is much more useful, precise, without mistake and so on choice! What you mean?

I prefer MyTracks. If this solution will not work as I want, I'll do my own later!
  •  

ryozo

whatever way that will make your life's load a li'l lighter, that will do. hehe  :lol:
Welcome to the Android world!
  •  

spawny

It's not good to always "reinvent the wheel", so the MyTracks integration seems to be like a good decision, as long as it is easy to use.
  •  

Menion

exactly. I tested many mapping software and all have own recording system. Why? Almost all did some mistakes and all have time to time any troubles. I'm not saying that MyTracks is without mistakes, but is actively developed and highly specialized!

nevermind, there are still some problems with showing tracks but I hope that during January it should be done at least to "partially" working version.
  •  

berkley

Hi,

Nice work!!!

What about an implementation of some google services all working together:
- Fusion Tables //http://www.google.com/fusiontables/
- Docs //http://docs.google.com/

This would be a great extension. Usefull for for any business in the field!

Keep on the good work.

Greetz from sunny Bavaria,
berkley

P.S. I don't care if you use your own tracking service or integrate My Tracks ;)
If you look for Alpha- and Beta-Testers, just send me a mail!
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  thanks ;)

about recording - still waiting for new verison on MyTracks, but my cup of tea is almost full :)

don't know about fusion tables. Seems interesting. But have to say, maybe later. But developing process never ends so ... ;)
  •  

berkley

well, count me in for the paid version :P
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

dibrial

Hi Menion,

I placed my votes a few weeks ago and voted for directions. Now I'm thinking about it a bit more and I was wondering what you mean by that and why the only online thanks to OSM note?

Would this feature be any simular to NavDroyd. They provide offline directions with OSM, but the app is crashing often.
  •  

Menion

Hi dibrial,
  hmm navDroid looks fine. Seems that they use vector data so they can compute routing on these data. I'm using typical images, bitmap data, so I have to compute routing data on any server online. If you want to ask if I don't want to use vector data - no. Actually not. Whole system is currently bitmap only!

about routing (directions) itself. It will just work ... you define one (+ actual gps) - four points and send them on OSM server. Computed route comes back. Offline mode will be, that you can save returned data for later use. You have to count, that Locus is primary map viewer. I'm not and I'll not try to create some navigation software.

did I answered you?
  •  

dibrial

Menion,

That answered my question. Being able to use the route later is great, because I can prepare the directions at home and don't need to have an internet connection available when using directions.
  •  

Menion

So,
  seems that big part from this poll is already completed. Now, what is missing from this small plan:

directions (only online thanks to OSM!)
 - this is in plan, but OSM service return just array of points. Best is tu use direct link to Google Navigation

navigation along route (not voice, just azimuth and distance along points)
 - actually works but isn't best! I'll improve it ...

online POI searching (any world database suggestion?)

- don't know about any online POI database

support for WMS
 - this absolutely have to be done. This is mainly mapping application!

stay tuned!
  •  

mcrawfor

I voted for MyMaps editing, but really all i want is an upload-to-mymaps feature, like google tracks does!

I like to share the recorded tracks with others, and moving the exported kml/gpx files around manually is no fun.

Thank you for working on locus!
  •