Google Search Missing in New Version

Started by Chamelleon, October 09, 2018, 22:31:46

Chamelleon

Hi, in latest version I cannot find Google search feature . I know I still can search in Google but when I search for "Groceries" it points me nearest groceries not list with all nearest groceries like before. Is it deleted or I just cannot find it?
  •  

Joachim

Hello,
since I miss this function very much, I have written a mail to Hana Mlavcová from the Locus team. She replied the following:
"Hello Joachim.
Thank you for your email.
We decided to remove this feature due to lack of interest of our users.
Thank you for your understanding.
Kind regards
Hana"
I have used this function very often (for example to find food markets on hikes). Furthermore it is not possible to import POIs from Googlemaps directly to Locus. At the moment I can only do this very laboriously with the app "Map Marker" for each POI...
Greetings Joachim
  •  

john_percy

I read elsewhere recently that Google had substantially increased the licence fee to use this functionality.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Menion

Hi, interest was really low, but this usually is not big reason for me to remove any functionality. What wrote @john_percy is correct. Price for this service was increased from our 10€ we paid before for around 200 usages/day to close to 200€ we paid in August which is far above we may pay for now.

Anyway, code and functionality remain in app, so maybe in the future it will be possible to activate it.

So sorry, based on our pricing model, it is a necessary step.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

michaelbechtold

Is there a way to make only interested users pay for such ?
I.e. is this Google Service bindable to a Google user account ?
  •  

Menion

Currently not. I'm also not a big fan of this feature because of the simple reason: in terms of use is exactly wrote, that search result may be visible only on Google Maps, which is a condition that Locus Map cannot satisfy. It was the last feature (that I was aware) that does not meet TOS of used service (we paid for it so I did not considered this as a huge problem).

So for now, unfortunately, consider this as a closed story.

Henk van der Spek

I totally understand but in my new version I still can search in Google but it gives not result.  Searching for a cityname through the magnifiing glass in the side bar.
Motorola G82 5G 6/128 Android 13 and Motorola Moto G73 5G 8/256 Android 13
  •  

Menion

This is not about "Search by Google". This option is automatically included in all devices and freely accessible for developers, so there is no problem (for now).

What was removed was an option "Google Places", which was placed in side menu of the search screen, at the bottom. Results of this function are not addresses, but "places". Like when you directly on maps.google.com search for "nearest pub". You get the list of pubs with images and some description. This was in Locus Map and this was removed in the latest version.

Henk van der Spek

Ok. Then I have a new poblem. The standard search (Search address online) works only in Bing and GraphHopper, not in Google. Version 3.33.2
Motorola G82 5G 6/128 Android 13 and Motorola Moto G73 5G 8/256 Android 13
  •  

Joachim

Hello Menion,
I also have a question to this issue:
If I found a location in the Google app "Maps", it is not possible to import this point into Locus. There is always a place somewhere in Africa displayed. Does that also have something to do with Google's license terms, is there a programming error or do I use the whole thing incorrectly? Conversely, it is no problem to export a point from Locus to "Maps".
Best regards
Joachim

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
  •  

john_percy

Google Search is working for me but what seems to be the case is that the search is much more restrictive now if I tick "Search around your location" than it was. It appears to search within a more limited radius of the map centre. If the location being searched for is 80 miles away, it is too far, but 40 miles away is OK.
Quote from: Henk van der Spek on October 11, 2018, 20:01:52
Ok. Then I have a new problem. The standard search (Search address online) works only in Bing and GraphHopper, not in Google. Version 3.33.2
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

michaelbechtold

I think this is a format issue around the location string Google Maps produces. Seems that Locus cannot interpret it correctly.
But I just tried that and it worked like a charm.
Can you "share" the Google location to mail or chat, so you see what exactly Google Maps is sending ?
  •  

Joachim

For example, if I want to send the "Google Place" by mail, Google sends information in the format:

"News Cafe
Linggpl. 17, 36251 Bad Hersfeld
06621 914747
https://goo.gl/maps/Su2g77VzNYp".

Locus obviously cannot interpret this correctly.

•  

Chamelleon

I forgot to set notification to this topic and missed all Your replies. Currently I have uninstalled GMaps and now when this feature is disabled in Locus I have no option to look for anything but direct address. It was quite good option to set up hiking trip without using PC to make route.
  •  

Menion

@Joachim
what happens when you choose Locus Map in "share" dialog? In my case, it opens search screen and shared text is used in this screen for basic "address search". Same for you?

Anyway, we are aware of need for POIs with extra information very well. Currently little higher priority is on interesting tracks, which is something we work on now. Next will be most probably integration of information from wikipedia into existing LoPoints ( in menu currently under "Points of interest (BETA)" ).
  •