Tracking stops by itself

Started by auric, May 25, 2011, 15:30:59

auric

Everything's still fine here. Of course, I paused recording during the night, so GPS was inactive anyway.
Today, I'm going to keep it recording all day, let's see what's happening.
LM Pro - LocusMap 4 🥇
  •  

auric

Just saying: recording was still running, Locus was still up and running.

I killed it  :twisted:

But the result was not as I expected it. It seems that the build in application manager in 2.3.3 kills everything, so the services were killed as well: Locus gone, "Track record" notification icon gone, GPS signal gone.
Damn :-)
So I relaunched Locus: Track Recording icon re-appeared, recording was paused. I restarted recording and now I'm not touching it before this evening...
LM Pro - LocusMap 4 🥇
  •  

rijackson741

Mine is still running OK. GPS is still on, it's still recording. Now more than 19 hours (although only 137 points). I have done a few other things to stress it a little (played a couple of games, etc), but nothing extreme. I'll continue to leave it recording, but if it hasn't crapped out by now I doubt it's going to.
  •  

rijackson741

It looks like I finally manged to break it.

I went for a walk (during which I inserted a few waypoints, just for testing), then went to the supermarket. When in the supermarket I know it lost the GPS signal, because I checked. When I came out it picked it up again and continued recording though, so no problems to that point. By the time I got home it had been recording for over 24 hours (and by then about 1100 points) with no problems. So I decided to try a couple of other things. I launched GPS Status to see if that would screw anything up. That's not the GPS status screen in Locus, but a separate app. It found the satellites OK, so I exited and checked Locus. Still recording! Next I went into the GPS status screen in Locus. It showed no satellites. Is it supposed to work when recording is on? Then I hit the three +'s at the top right, one after the other, each time backing out of the settings and back to Locus. Still "No Satellites", so I backed out of that screen. Now Locus is not recording! The status still shows recording (my notification bar shows recording, and the recording icon is gray, not black), but if I move around Locus doesn't do anything. It doesn't even know I have moved! I have left it in this hung state for now, in case you read this and want me to try something. If you do, just let me know what to do.
  •  

rijackson741

An update

I checked the phone settings, and the GPS was on. So then I went back into GPS Status (the separate app). The previous time it found the satellites almost immediately, but this time it took a minute or so, as though the GPS had only just been turned on. So I went back into Locus, and now it's working fine again! It has restarted recording as though nothing happened. I then repeated my experiment with the GPS status screen in Locus, and no problems there either. It showed the satellites, and after going into the settings and back out again, then backing out of the GPS status screen, Locus is still recording.

Weird. I'll see if I can reproduce it later.
  •  

Menion

hi, interesting :) I'll try your moves too. In logs there will probably not be any problem. Thanks for info. So I have to go tomorrow afternoon to some shoping and then I have to play with phone before going to bed :D
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

auric

As for me, 74km, 3120 points, 11h and 45m recording, 13MB NMEA file. Not a single problem, so I'm extremely satisfied.
Didn't go to the supermarket though ;-)

No, really, I didn't check using GPS status or the satellites status in Locus, will do that tomorrow.

However, this is a major improvement!
LM Pro - LocusMap 4 🥇
  •  

rijackson741

To avoid any confusion, this is the app I'm talking about:

//https://market.android.com/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&feature=search_result
  •  

rijackson741

I can't reproduce that problem. I have tried several times, but Locus always shows me the satellites and then keeps on recording. Maybe it lost the GPS fix for some reason and I just wasn't patient enough. I waked around for what seemed like a long time with no response from Locus, but maybe it seemed longer than it really was. Maybe it was my brain that hung up, not Locus :D

Over 29 hours now, and it's still recording. Personally, I think you fixed it  :)
  •  

rijackson741

I just shut it down. The total recording time was over 45 hours, with only the one incident, that I now think was probably a non-incident.
  •  

Menion

OK, 45 hours is pretty nice number :) I'll release it with actual state and if there will be some troubles, I'll still be working on it. But looks promising. Thank you for excellent testing!! :)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

auric

Quote from: "rijackson741"To avoid any confusion, this is the app I'm talking about:

//https://market.android.com/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&feature=search_result

I know :-)
Tried several times with gps status, no interference...

I had only 23h 12m recording, a full track recording and a 46MB NMEA file, but Locus is just fine, not a single problem.

Quote from: "menion"OK, 45 hours is pretty nice number :) I'll release it with actual state and if there will be some troubles, I'll still be working on it. But looks promising. Thank you for excellent testing!! :)

Thanks for following this up so quickly (as always ;) )
LM Pro - LocusMap 4 🥇
  •  

elmuSSo

I just want to say, I had this error a few times, so its good that you are aware of it. The additional thing I found is: when you click to continue the recording, the blue arrow icon disappears. So the track is being logged, but there is no "head".
  •