Map offline downloading

Started by MartyMcFly89, September 10, 2018, 19:43:28

MartyMcFly89

Not sure if it's Locus core function, or some addon I am using, but this behaviour has been bugging me for a long time. Basically, it wrongly calculates needed tiles for offline map downloading. Because of this wrong calculation, it let's me downloading only low zoom levels. Look at the estimate and accurate difference, 7625x more of tiles - it never calculated so badly before, when I used normal (SELECT AREA) way of downloading. Calculating takes a long time - 6 minutes on zoom 15 (which is not very useable for walking tourism - even when driving I prefer to use zoom levels 16-17.

What I wanted to was download 200m around each of points in certain folder. Not this "test" (France) folder, but one with 100 points. But I cannot, it would only be possible by manually going to each of these points and (SELECT AREA) method for each of those points.

He're image which explains it:

•  

Menion

Hello Marty,
what exactly is a problem? First visible value is estimate which is computed really very simply: all points your selected are covered by smallest possible rectangle! and app computes all map tiles that cover this rectangle.
When you tap on "calculate", the app then do a precise simulation to check an exact number of necessary map tiles. In case of downloading around points, mainly if points have bigger distances between, this operation may take some time. Maybe you have a single point somewhere far away from others, that cause this problem.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

MartyMcFly89

The problem is that zoom15 is too little. What I need is zoom18-19 around each of those points. But there is no option for zoom 16, 17, 18 and 19 - it only gives me option for zoom6to15.

And yes, there are distances between the points. It's a travel route across half of Europe and there is one point in Germany, another in Switzerland, another in Spain and last in France.

Consider this simple request - I need to download zoom of level 18 around each of those points. I can do that manually for 4 points, but not for 40, or 100.

Thus what I need is to get option to download higher zooms than zoom15.
  •  

Menion

Ah, understand. Locus does not offer higher zoom levels in this case because of the huge area that your points cover.
The most simple solution from my points of view: split points to two or more groups that will cover a lot smaller area. It will be a lot faster. You may use "Supplementary map download" to save all maps into save map file.
There are two possible methods of how to implement this function in the app. I decided a long time ago for the solution that is fast for smaller areas, but a lot slower for huge areas with few points, like in your case.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •