Licensing errors

Started by userloser, May 23, 2011, 09:55:00

userloser

I keep getting licensing errors (cannot connect to app store to validate or somesuch) if I am offline for a short period of time. This is pretty annoying - I don't see much need to report to Google where I am every couple of days.

And, naturally, this annoying check always happens in the worst possible moment. While there isn't much of a usability lost while I'm offline with the device, it would be better if the app assumed I'm a nice guy and wait for the next connection to validate itself instead of showing me the finger while I'm 10 hours away from the next wifi hotspot (and a week away from having any desire to connect to Google's validation server).
  •  

Menion

Hm I did improvements to this system! Licence should be now stored for at least 14 days! You have this problem with last market version 1.8.2?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

durian

It's maybe good I see this.

I am often backpacking for weeks without internet, does that mean my new and shiny Pro version of Locus will stop working after two weeks? I maybe should have kept the free version then?

-peter (confused)
  •  

Menion

I was already thinking about it yesterday. When I was testing this licencing service, I noticed that google is returning me confirmation valid only for one day! So I was playing with this a little and finally I found solution how to change this. So I changed this to 14 days. But you're correct, 14 days isn't too much so I'll probably increase it a little. Anyway even when this limit will be done, Pro version will be still working for you at least as Free version so you'll always have working Locus :).

But you do not answered me about version. Did you see this dialog with invalid version on last market version 1.8.2?
  •  

durian

I'll keep the free version installed as wel :-)

By the way, I never had a problem with the licensing, I am just intruding in this thread :-)

-peter
  •  

rijackson741

This issue is going to affect me too. I can sometimes be in Asia for a month at a time, during which time I do not permit data roaming (way too expensive!) and I rarely, if ever, have access to a WiFi hotspot. If it requires validation every two weeks then surely that is the maximum time I will get. If it validated the license 13 days before I got on the plane then I have only one day before it needs to validate again. Or does it not work that way?

Why is the validation even needed? Isn't the app locked to the phone anyway, so that copying it to another phone is not possible?
  •  

userloser

Yes, I am at the latest version. I got a licensing error three days ago, then connected, the thing got itself fixed, then got an error yesterday again. I've no idea if it was the device, the OS, Google's authentication services in my situation* (see below) or the software, but I'd find checks annoying and invasive even if they happen once a month. I'd much prefer if any app I buy would only check versions on initial install and version upgrade or something. Locus can throw fits at any time - after recovery from backup, after being away in the woods for a while, etc. I have not had licensing issues with other apps so far. Luckily nothing I use often (except the VR) that requires licensing is affected too much.

*My situation: bought a phone in a first-world country A, now traveling in some third-world countries, and using the device a lot in areas without mobile coverage, which screwed up all updates for me for a while, and made for a rather unpleasant and long exchange with Google. Maybe I am an edge use case or something, so they care for me less, despite me spending over 100 bucks on apps already.
  •  

Menion

I also agree that actual system is wrong! I'll do something with this, promise ... one more question. Is only locus cause troubles with this or any other app also?
  •  

ht81

I have installed the latest Version of Locus pro, and i have the Same error. Every 3 days, hope you fix it as soon as possible
  •  

rijackson741

Quote from: "menion"Is only locus cause troubles with this or any other app also?

In my case, it would probably only be Locus. Maybe that's because Locus is one of the few apps I have been willing to pay for though  :D  I used to use Rmaps, and then discovered Locus. Last time I was in Asia I had Rmaps and the free version of Locus installed, so I would not have seen this problem. After I got home I uninstalled Rmaps and upgraded to the paid version of Locus. It is by far the best offline mapping app for Android (I also have Aura installed, but I don't view that as a competing product; I use it for different things).
  •  

Menion

ok, I'll probably do only one check after new version install and then nothing since new install. This licence think is whole weird. I'm fighting with this mainly because my stats, more then 85% of users, use stolen version. But all of them do not have these problems with licence. And you who payed have ... sorry for that, in next release will be improved version!!
  •  

rijackson741

Quote from: "menion"I'm fighting with this mainly because my stats, more then 85% of users, use stolen version.

I thought the license was locked to the phone hardware.
  •  

Menion

licence is locked to your account, not a hardware... anyway this have no influence on licence check. It's because default licence library from google validate account only for a day so there is need for some improvements from developer side.
  •  

userloser

Quote from: "menion"ok, I'll probably do only one check after new version install and then nothing since new install. This licence think is whole weird. I'm fighting with this mainly because my stats, more then 85% of users, use stolen version. But all of them do not have these problems with licence. And you who payed have ... sorry for that, in next release will be improved version!!

85% of all users spend time to get a cracked version? Given that there's virtually no difference between the two? Geez. Well, if it is that bad, it is up to you how you deal with the license issues, I'll just shut up. As I said above, it isn't a big deal when offline, since the two versions are roughly identical, and the AR view isn't all that important.

BTW, with my install the license issue doesn't pop up on every three days (or other regular intervals), it is completely random. Sometimes I'll have no issues for days, sometimes almost right away. Of course, when I'm connected it works without trouble.
  •  

Menion

yes, I'm also wondering that so many :). Mainly that few bucks for app covers four beers in Czech. And every Czech man drinks around 10 beers per evening :D ...

I did some improvements to licence now, so please report these issue if they occur in new version (I plan to release maintaince release during near two days). I need to fix it to situation, that users like you, never see this dialog!
  •