Started by Menion, May 19, 2011, 15:17:56

MaleSmurf

I have it already done... Must upload it...  :oops:

Done.

Austria
  •  

simonb

I have a similar request,
Has anyone built a vector map for Australia, its only a few letters different!

Thanks.
  •  

durian

Quote from: "simonb"I have a similar request,
Has anyone built a vector map for Australia, its only a few letters different!
Here you go (untested). It's big, 973 MB, so it didn't fit into my dropbox anymore, and I put it on my personal website.  
//http://berck.se/maps/australia-oceania.osm.map

-peter
  •  

simonb

Wow,
I'm impressed, Thank you Peter.
Downloading now, will let you know how it goes.

Came down overnight and works well, thanks again.

Simon.
  •  

rijackson741

! am a real sucker for punishment sometimes, so I decided to give the vector map creation another go. I learned a few things that may be useful to others.

Because of my memory limitations (i.e. my PC; I'm not senile. Yet) I tried to build some maps using a bounding box to limit the size of the generated map. For example, to create a map of Nashua, NH, from the full NH map:

osmosis --rb file=new_hampshire.osm.pbf --mapfile-writer file=NashuaGF.map type=HD bbox=42.704465,-71.541876,42.775014,-71.420628

I got the bounding box points from GE.
I also tried the same thing using the bz2 file from Cloudmade downloads:

osmosis --rx file=new_hampshire.osm.bz2 --mapfile-writer file=NashuaCM.map type=HD bbox=42.704465,-71.541876,42.775014,-71.420628

Both of these worked fine, even though I can't generate a map of the whole of NH. They only took 2-3 minutes.
As another example, create a Wheatley map from the Cloudmade bz2 file for England:

osmosis --rx file=england.osm.bz2 --mapfile-writer file=Wheatley.map type=HD bbox=51.720488,-1.323776,51.794130,-1.081554

There's a reason I chose to create this map from the Cloudmade files, but I'll put that in another post. This example is important, because although the resulting map is very small, the starting file is large: 368Mb. It seems the memory limitations are mainly associated with file writing, not the file reading. So anyone should be able to create small maps from large starting files, even if you don't have access to a big Debian server like Peter  :) You do have to be patient though; this one took about 2.5 hours.

A couple of additional notes;
You do not need to unzip the .bz2 file to get a .osm file, even though the Wiki here; //http://code.google.com/p/mapsforge/wiki/MapFileWriterOsmosis implies that you do.
You might get a lot of warnings at the end that it couldn't delete files "C:Documents and Settings<YourName>Local SettingsTempidx********.tmp". At least, I get this every time. You should go and delete these files manually, because they can be very large (>1Gb).

I also created a map of southern NH. I suspect nobody else will want this, but if they do then I'll upload it. I cannot create a map of some parts of NH, not even a very small map. I logged an issue at MapForge regarding this: //http://code.google.com/p/mapsforge/issues/detail?id=134&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Stars%20Owner%20Summary%20Modified

The real good news is that every map I have managed to create seems to work great in Locus  :D
  •  

durian

Only now I see that I can set the number of points to view on the current track if recording :)

Thanks!

-peter
  •  

Menion

you're welcome. It's there since last version.

when you're so ... all to go recorder ... may you please try Track recording widget in last testing version? I need to know if works correctly :) thanks
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Rob

Hi Malesurf,
Much thx for uploading the Austrian vector map. Works great!
Quest: is there a setting in which zoomstep is displayed what?
E.g. streetnames are only shown on very high zoom, and I want that at least the mainroads are displayed in smaller zooms.

Regards
Rob

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk
  •  

Rob

Regarding widget:
It really works fine! Even starts Locus if it's not running when Start recording.
"Stop" opens the Track recording menu,
"Pause" stops GPS (if set so)
"add point" opens the proper POI menu.... really easy.

Great work, thx.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk
  •  

Menion

fine, thanks. It was really big fight to rewrite all track recording stuff in locus to work with all settings also when locus is not running and to properly handle all GPS and storing stuff also without locus running ... need some more testing anyway but should work :)

also question on all: what are main information you want to see on a widget? Also, it interesting for you to have for example two sizes? One wide (as current) and one half only with start/stop button for example?
  •  

durian

Yes, widget runs fine here too, (auto)track saving works also.

Some extra info on the widget could be length/time of track maybe? Is that possible with widgets, maybe an update once a minute or something?

-peter
  •  

Menion

update is not a problem. I can now update is in same way as top panel information in application ... I'll also maybe include 'i' button from record panel, ... maybe :)

ok, length, time. This is clear. Any more are really "needed"? :)
  •  

rijackson741

Bad news. I Installed 1.8.11.1, and put the widget on the screen. I get intermittent force closes. This has happened 6 times, including twice after rebooting the phone, and with nothing else running.

Quote from: "menion"also question on all: what are main information you want to see on a widget? Also, it interesting for you to have for example two sizes? One wide (as current) and one half only with start/stop button for example?
Yes, I would prefer a 1x2 widget. But I would prefer that the top and bottom of each half have separate functionality, so that all four functions are still available. This should be possible, because Weatherbug has a 1x1 widget for which tapping the bottom gets you a configuration screen, and tapping the top takes you into the app. Having said that though, assume that my vote doesn't count for much. I will almost certainly do all my recording from within Locus anyway, even if the widget is available.
  •  

berkley

Quote from: "rijackson741"Bad news. I Installed 1.8.11.1, and put the widget on the screen. I get intermittent force closes. This has happened 6 times, including twice after rebooting the phone, and with nothing else running.

Same here... I'm going to test 1.8.11.2 and see what happens...
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

thanks guys (berkley also for email) ... should be fixed in last testing version
  •