[DISCUSSION] About version 6.14 and later...

Started by Menion, December 13, 2010, 17:36:13

Menion

Hi to all,
  I need to have some feedback.

new version 0.6.14 is out, together with previous version, brings lot of new features and I have almost no response from YOU!

so, few questions:
  • hiding panels, are you use this? hide any of panels? timing? fast, slow? tell me ...
  • new geocaching support in 0.6.14. Did you try import some PQ files? Do you feel that this feature is usable? I also need some tips to improve screen with cache details! Don't ask for some online support. I will not do this. For online support use, c:geo or SmartMaps in czech republic. Only online stuff what I'll probably do with geocaching is loading travel bug infos!
  • right quick menu - i'll add later new functions. Main for me is that I have place to add new functions! but what you? do you feel comfortable with right panel?
  • long click feature on map - google street view, add point, quick guiding, anything else is need?

and so on, so tell!
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

scinkk

1) Im using hiding the top panels but because the panel is visabled with all action (zooom move) it would be better automatic minimization of the panel - maybe to the same square like the right panel - I will view more from map and if I will need top panel I click on the square on the right top corner

2) Im testing it :) Maybe the most important - a name of the cache (now cache code) in list of POIs and in the list on the map with choose more points in one click

3) Im using the right panel for choosing a category - but now no idea what to add
4) no idea again  :)
  •  

spawny

1) I was waiting for the hiding panel feature, since I want to be able to move and look at the map, without disturbing panels. However it takes too long until they disappear, or I would appreciate a different behaviour. Maybe a thin toggler that just takes a small area on the screen. When clicking on it the panel slides/appears in or out. So it would be possible to move the map around without showing panels.
Another way may be an onTap-display of the panels. One tap on the map for showing the panels and another to hide them again.

2) not using yet

3) Another panel makes the map area even smaller. If you want to add more panels then try to use more transparent icons, so that they do not disturb the main function of this application.

4) I would love to see a routing feature, that creates a route from my position (or one that I define) to the place I long-clicked at. It also should work in offline mode, which is useful when adding a point/POI/destination where I want to be guided to. Maybe it's possible to show the menu immediately and load the address data (if possible) in background ... and activate street view when it is available.

Go on with the great work :)
  •  

oyuncu

I love this app!
I also love that you can download geocaches - that is what I will use it for - once the snow has gone!
However, I have tried downloading maps using the new system of SQlite, and my phone can't seem to find them. The old TAR version still works well, so please don't remove it altogether! (Or let me know how to work the new maps - they have been saved to the SD card on my HTC Wildfire as I can see it when I connect it to my computer).
It would be even better if this app tracked your trail in a gpx file, but I still think it is brilliant.
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  I'm glad you like it ;)

about downloading maps ... what is problem? Exist two versions of SQLite download, precisely described here. If it is not perfectly understandable, let me know. I'm not sure about my english but I hope that you will understand differences between both SQLite methods ...
  •  

oyuncu

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure what happened, but it is working fine now in SQL. Keep up the good work - I have been using Locus for Geocaching and it is brilliant.
  •  

oyuncu

Actually, I am still having problems. It seems to download the maps OK, but then can't find them. I download the same map with the old TAR method and it works straight away, so again, please don't get rid of this method - it is slower but more reliable.
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  it's really some problem in program or on your side. May you please describe your method how you download map? Which area, which donwload type (SQL shard, SQL separate, ...) ... this have to work!
  •  

oyuncu

Thanks for your help. It seems to be only with Bing satellite maps. I think the other problems were the maps were too big for my Android phone. I have now successfully downloaded both Ordnance Survey maps and google satellite maps using Separate map SQL lite with no problems. I can easily live without Bing! Also thanks for putting tracking on so I can see where I have been - any chance of putting waypoint markers on so that I can mark where I took photos or points of interest to return to?
I went geocaching at the weekend using Locus and it is brilliant! I could use both Ordnance Survey maps and satellites to find the geocaches, and Locus and the compass were more accurate than my dedicated Garmin! Brilliant! Thanks so much for this app.
  •  

Menion

Hmm, problem with Bing, I'll look at it.
I'm glad you like it. Adding waypoints during track record is good idea. I'll think about it!
  •  

fuhur

Hi !

I want to discuss Geocachng features.

I was very happy when I accidently discover geocaching function.
Usually I use other application for that which connects to Locus and set the point of the cache on the map. It works well but needs a number of operations. Last time I was "hunting" on bike for a long multycache and it's makes me nervous to stop to check did pass near by another one.

Few days later, I update my Locus, but in the notes I didn't see something mention about Geocaching. On a next day I decide to load my pocket query in Locus like points. I was deeply and very nicely surprised from the results. Import was fast. I mark them all – 980 caches and all cache icons suddenly appear on a map like charm. Icons are very well done. Next discover is that I can "click" on icon and it open menu with actions for cache. Very nice !

First impressions :

Advantages :

1.   Cache menu is well done and convenient.
2.   Page with cache information is also convenient and well organized.
3.   There is possibility to sort caches on distance from current position.
4.   Good integration with map part.

Problems and missing features  (most important for me first) :

1.   Can't log caches to file with my field notes. It's important, because when you are going on a longer hunts, you can't remember all details. In this case you have to write in a notebook. If there is a feature like this, I can't find it. I try seriously. You may see in all other geocaching applications what I'm talking about.

2.   It's very difficult to "click" on cache icon. Sometime it opens cache dialog on my first try, sometime I "click" 20 times with a finger on a same way – no response. I think that there are some problems with this – check it.

3.   (not so important feature) It will be good if you may search caches either by GC code or by part of the name. Reasons – sometime you're going for exact cache, and all around are bonus, but it's the main target. Then it's good to have possibility to search for it in a list.

4.   (not so important feature) It'll be convenient if on a map screen when you tap the cache icon and open menu to see at the bottom distance of the cache from current position. This gives you possibility to decide on a way do you have time to go and for nearby cache or it's too far from the main direction. It's especially helpful if you are on bike – now you have to stop to switch 2 screens to take this decision. But without it – also will be great.

5.   (very unimportant) It will be good to see distance from the cache not only when they are sorted on distance from current position.

As conclusion I can say that if points 1 and 2 from the last list where fixed, it could be one of the most complex Geocaching applications on Android platform. I like it very much and would like to use it when these 2 problems are cleared.
I'm using already prepared with Mobile Atlas Creator maps and can't write something about problems with map creation.
For me, one of the reasons that you have no many comments about Geocaching features is that Geocaching community still didn't know about it. I discover it accidently.

You made a great job there and you're one step to finish it. Next time when I'm out, I'll try to use only Locus. But I have to find my old forgotten geocaching notepad to make my field notes.

If you have any question about Geocaching part, I'll be glad to help.

Regards
Fuhur
  •  

Menion

Hi Fuhur,
  thanks for inspiring post. Locus was primary created to handle maps. Nothing more. After a time, I took some code from my old project LocA (thanks to scinkk kick) and added support for geocaching. But you have to remember that Locus will never be specialized on geocaching as any other applications can be!

but to you hints...

Quote from: "fuhur"1.   Can't log caches to file with my field notes. It's important, because when you are going on a longer hunts, you can't remember all details. In this case you have to write in a notebook. If there is a feature like this, I can't find it. I try seriously. You may see in all other geocaching applications what I'm talking about.
Ok, I did this today morning. Action is available from geocaching screen. Problem for me is that I have no idea how to show user that this cache is already logged. I cannot add any small symbol to icon so I have two possibilites. Change completely icon of cache into any symbol with notepad or similar. Or write any text onto screen with cache details. maybe below cache name something like "Field notes created".

Quote from: "fuhur"2.   It's very difficult to "click" on cache icon. Sometime it opens cache dialog on my first try, sometime I "click" 20 times with a finger on a same way – no response. I think that there are some problems with this – check it.
You're first who wrote me about this problem. There is really big circle around place you click where I search for points. Try it please for a while. I'm sure, this works ok!

Quote from: "fuhur"3.   (not so important feature) It will be good if you may search caches either by GC code or by part of the name. Reasons – sometime you're going for exact cache, and all around are bonus, but it's the main target. Then it's good to have possibility to search for it in a list.
I have searching function on points in database in my personal TODO list ...

Quote from: "fuhur"4.   (not so important feature) It'll be convenient if on a map screen when you tap the cache icon and open menu to see at the bottom distance of the cache from current position. This gives you possibility to decide on a way do you have time to go and for nearby cache or it's too far from the main direction. It's especially helpful if you are on bike – now you have to stop to switch 2 screens to take this decision. But without it – also will be great.
and what about to click in menu on "Guide on"? This will show information you need directly on map. Enough?

Quote from: "fuhur"5.   (very unimportant) It will be good to see distance from the cache not only when they are sorted on distance from current position.
I have to think about it. Actual state, helps me as a user to quickly check what sort is enabled. If I see no distances, sort by name is active.

I also added complete manager of cache waypoint (adding, editing, deleting) on cache page and ability to edit cache coordinates (for example when you compute mystery and want to set correct values), so try it and let me know if any problems occur!

So, all new features (mainly field notes and point editing) will be in beta version (0.9.7.3 I think) that should be here today ...

thanks fuhur and nice geo-hunt
  •  

oyuncu

I have done lots of geocaching using an Oregon, and recently I have started using my Android with Locus. I have an HTC Wildfire and it is just as accurate, if not more than my Oregon. I actually have no difficulty with clicking on the cache icon - it is best if you short click - if you click too long it gets the wrong message.  It is brilliant that it gives all info you need.  If you click on compass after clicking the cache, the compass tells you the distance to the cache (as well as the direction) in the middle of the display, and also tells you the gps accuracy in the bottom right hand corner. You can even get a guiding sound that beeps when you get close to the cache which would probably be good if you are on a bike (but I find it annoying so turn it off). It would be good to log as you go. If it is not possible to get into the geocache file to do this, it would be good if we could mark waypoints on the track ;)  and log it that way so that we can know which is which when we get home - but if I look at the clues and map on geocaching.com I can usually remember them.
In general, Locus is a brilliant way of geocaching offline.  My Oregon has broken at the moment, and I have used my Android with Locus and not had a 'did not find' yet. Also you can look at both the usual maps and google satellite at the same time to get really good location of the cache which is very useful.
  •  

Menion

I'm very glad for you positive reaction! Thanks ...
  •