Wear for Locus Map beta testing

Started by milan.cejnar, December 06, 2017, 19:50:53

fera

Hi Milan!

I have spent more time with the beta, and got to say, it is working stable, however the problem which I mentioned in my previous post still persists:

"What is a bit strange for me is that the BPM value sometimes drops to zero on the watch dashboard before the next measurement and therefore the HRM value in LM on my phone drops to zero as well.
Is there maybe a way to indicate always the latest not zero readout value? Or should I use average? :)"
I guess this happens maybe because the LM Pro requests the HR more frequently than the add-on can provide? Could this be somehow fixed?

Thanks again! :)
  •  

Danjel Rojka

I can report that Wear Locus works without problems.
The heart rate was reproduced by Wear Locus without any problems. And I was able to finish my run successfully with the lap announcement and the heart rate message every 3min.
At the same time I started the Polar App on the Smartwatch and started the recording there. Both ran parallel and had no problems.

ˊ ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `'F'¯'''''L ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `
` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `'[``...'¾`` ``` ``` ``` ```
` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `'[```...ʹ[` ` ` ` ``` ``` ```
` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `#````ˆ[```` ``` ``` ``` ``
` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `'#``...``'[`... ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `
` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` #...`````'F`` ` ` ` `` ``` ```
` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ƒ¯```````'[__` ` ` ` ` ` ` ``` ``
` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ƒ¯````````ʹ¯¯¯¯''''''''''''¯¯¯¯¯¯™[ `
gµµµµµµµµµµµµµµ_µ™`````````````````````````'# `
'₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫F¯...`````````````````````` ` ²q[¯ ` `
ʹ₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫¾````````````````````````````ʹ} ... `
›₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫#`````````````````````````__µr... ` `
³₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫...`````````````````````````¯[ ... ` `
`₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫$``````````````````````````_F ... ` `
`]₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫#````````````````````````ʹ''''[... ... ` `
`'₫₫₫₫₫₫₫F''''']₫#___`````````````````````` '# ... ` `
...₫₫₫₫₫₫₫bµ₫₫₫₫$¯''''¹uuuuuɷuɷuɷuɷuɷuɷµ#¯ ` ` ` ` `
...'''''''™''''™'''™''''™™ ... ... ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ... ... ` ` `
` ... ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ... ` ... ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ... ` ` ` ` `.

fera

@Danjel:

Does the heart rate sometimes drops to zero on your side as well if you're using a dashboard?  :-\
  •  

Danjel Rojka

I couldn't tell because I wasn't looking at the dashboard all the time. I'll check it on the next run to see if it happens.

You mean the dashboard on the Smartwatch or on the smartphone?
  •  

fera

Actually, I mean both, I have encountered this behavior on both devices.
Are you aware of a setting to only show the latest nonzero value of sensor data?

Quote from: Danjel Rojka on September 06, 2018, 09:57:32
I couldn't tell because I wasn't looking at the dashboard all the time. I'll check it on the next run to see if it happens.

You mean the dashboard on the Smartwatch or on the smartphone?
  •  

Danjel Rojka

•  

milan.cejnar

Hello guys,
sorry I was off for a few days ...

@gumka
Hello and welcome to the forum. This topic is intended mainly for beta testers so if you continue using the Wear add-on you are very welcome to also test and post feedback on recent add-on beta version and propose new tips on how to improve the app.
Currently the add-on does not have the option to use watch GPS and is built more like a companion to the Locus Map running on the phone which uses its own GPS. The stand-alone add-on operation would be possible but that brings a whole lot of other problems to solve and logic to implement and it is not planned in the near future.

@H Ifang
I completely agree, Wear OS is much better than original Android Wear 1.x but there are still various bugs and quirks in the platform itself and with each watch possibly behaving slightly different than the other.
For these kind of connectivity problems try to clear data and cache for Google, Google Play Services, Wear OS app on the phone and maybe clear data of Google Play app on the watch. Hope it will start working soon without a need for factory reset.

@fera @Danjel
Thank you guys for testing, I am glad it is somehow better. I will release the application in this state to see how many people are affected by this problem. It could be also a problem with sensor accuracy but the more likely cause as have been suggested is that the watch is not fast enough in providing the data for Locus Map for some unknown reason.
I will try to improve this behavior in next version since I need to redo some communication logic anyway thanks to ever changing Google APIs...
You can also plot a HRM graph(y axis) in time or distance(x axis) in Locus Map in track details and post it here or send it to me via email so I could see how often these drops occur and how serious they are.
  •  

Danjel Rojka

Hello Milan,

the interruption of the cardiac frequency has only one interruption in an hour.
At 54min 26sec to 54min 46sec

Otherwise, I have a continuous transmission.

Best Regards
Danjel Rojka
  •  

gumka

@Milan

I forgot to mention that I was using beta version. Anyway thank you for clarifying regarding build in GPS. Just have to continue using Locus on mobile. Thanks
  •  

fera

Hi Milan!

Did I see correctly, there is another new build? :)
  •  

milan.cejnar

@fera
Hi, yeah you are right but there is nothing new in it really at least not for you guys, it is just previous beta version with disabled debug mode and with some new translations added. I have released it to all the users so it is not beta anymore.

I will be rewriting some connection logic for the next release (though there will be probably no activity for a couple of weeks now after this release). I will also try to decrease latency of HRM synchronization in order to avoid those 0 BPM readings in between samples.

Anyway thank you guys for testing I really appreciate it and it has helped a lot. If you stumble across any problems in the latest stable version please let me know but it should work the same as the last version.
And I will definitely give you a heads-up the next time there is a new beta so we could improve the add-on even more.

Have a nice weekend
Milan
  •  

fera

Hi Milan!

Here is a distance/HRM graph of my latest cycle-ride:

As you can see, the 0 BPM drops are pretty frequent. I can provide you with a time/HRM graph as well.

If you cannot increase the synchronisation frequency between the add-on and the LM, what if you altered something in the code to show the latest nonzero value until the next valid sensor readout?

But it's just an idea  8)

But anyway, thanks for everything, you are the best!
  •  

milan.cejnar

@fera
Hello,
wow, your measurement is pretty bad, I am sorry. I wonder why that is :/ Locus Map will have some increased tolerance (10 seconds delay) but we won't increase it any more because it would only cover up this buggy behavior and you would still be missing the real data.
I will try to switch to newer communication API and use more light-weight messages for HRM synchronization with hopefully lower overall latency in the next version, maybe it will help.
By the way do you have any battery optimizations enabled on your phone? If so, could you try to disable them for Locus Map, Wear for Locus Map and Wear OS apps and see if that helps or if it is the same?
Thanks!
  •  

Danjel Rojka

Hello, Milan,

today I could test the pulse measurement again in bicycle mode. I rode my bike for about 50min and only had a drop-out of 10 seconds. Otherwise the transmission worked perfectly.

Best Regards
Danjel Rojka

•  

fera

Hello Milan!

I checked what you asked yesterday, and it turned out that all locus apps were battery optimised, so I switched everything that is locus-related to "not optimized" as well as the wear os itself and here is today's measurement:

As you can see, in the beginning it was stable and continous then just got stochastic completely. Is there maybe a log.txt I can provide you?

What am I doing wrong? LM Pro and Wear app is the latest one on Android 8.1 on Xiaomi Mi A1 with Misfit Vapor. Thanks :)
  •