Wear for Locus Map beta testing

Started by milan.cejnar, December 06, 2017, 19:50:53

milan.cejnar

@fera @Danjel Rojka
Thank you for your reports guys.
One other thing, can you also confirm, that you had a GPS signal while testing HRM? Menion pointed out, that without GPS signal track recording does not work properly and HRM stays at zero until GPS signal is acquired. This is unfortunately a limitation of Locus Map.

Also I have discussed other paired BT/ANT HRM devices and they should have no affect until they start to send some measured data, so other paired devices should not cause this.
  •  

Danjel Rojka

Hello Milan,

On Saturday I tested the function outside and I had good GPS reception. I had the same issue.

Regards
Danjel
  •  

fera

Hi Milan!

I checked as well, I had a strong GPS lock-on (green satellite icon), the issue is the same.

Could you confirm this question:
I got to say, I still use the free version of Locus Map, could that be a problem? Or I should be able to see HRM value on the watch dashboard without it?

Thanks  :)
  •  

milan.cejnar

@fera @Danjel Rojka
Ok, thanks for confirmation, it is a mystery then :)
Last versions of both LM Pro and Free should be fine. We will work on the next update together with Menion to get some more logs out of LM to try to find the cause now that we know that watch sensor input is most probably not the issue.
Thank you for testing and patience, I will definitely let you know when the next version is out.
  •  

milan.cejnar

Hello,
another beta version 1.1.4 is out and we are still continuing our attempts to debug HRM feature.
This time is a bit more complex but it would really help us to find the problem since this time we are monitoring the data across wear&device addon and within Locus Map itself. So if you are willing to help please follow these steps:
1. Download and install this private Beta version of LM Free
2. Update your Wear addon on both device and watch.
3. Make sure the Locus Map Pro is turned off completely (not running in the background) and then run LM Free beta version.
4. Again enable debug mode on the watch and start the track recording. Checkout HRM debug output - there is now a sixth (i.e. the last)value which indicates how many seconds have elapsed since the HR data was last sent to the phone. This last number should always be less than 6 seconds.
5. Make sure you have GPS fix and just let the track recording work while having the watch on your wrist for at least a minute or two. (Formally it is enough to wait just until the first debug value(accuracy) reaches 0 or more and the last value is less than 6 (seconds after last data sync) which should all happen within 5 to 15 seconds after recording start)
6. After your track recording is done and when you have the time, copy (and zip ideally) all the logs in folder \Locus\logs directly in your phone internal storage or SD card and send them to me via email at milan.cejnar@asamm.com or upload them to any cloud/storage you might be accustomed to use and share the link with me.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I hope this one will help us find the bug because there is probably not more logging that Menion and I could do :)

P.S.
@H Ifang
I am not sure if there are any 4 button Wear OS watch actually, but this configuration is formally supported by the OS so we support it as well. Anyway the screen switch should now be mapped to the 3rd button long press, please try if it works as expected.
  •  

fera

Hi Milan!

I just recorded a track with the private build of LM Free like you asked in your latest post, see the attached zip file in the email I sent you.

What I find a bit strange is that only one txt was generated (by one recording) is this enough?

Also I checked the sixth data field in HRM debug stat, and it was always under 6, around 2 or 3, so I guess syncing works properly.

Thanks guys, looking forward to the root cause of this bug  :)
  •  

H Ifang

As for button switch map/dashboard by button3-long-press: works!
Just two details that could be improved:
1. whenever you switch back to dashboard it starts with first page again, page where you left is not remembered (that is the same if switching is done using touchscreen)
2. following the switch after a long-press there always is a button3 short/normal press recognized, too - that means going to dashboard you always go to page 2 at the moment (and if last page would be remembered it would spoil that), or everytime going to map an unintended zoom-out follows. Should be possible to suppress that short-button-event.

But thanks again until here, it gets better and better.
  •  

milan.cejnar

@fera
Thank you very much for your log reports I think I have finally found the bug. I was sending the HRM data between phone add-on part and LM in an incorrect way which in some Android 8.0+ devices might result in the data being lost quietly within the Android OS never arriving to the LM.
Quite a dumb but hard to spot mistake to be honest so thank you guys a lot for testing and bearing with me :) Next update should hopefully solve the issue, I will let you know when it is out.

@H Ifang
Ok, thanks for the report. I will look into it, short button press should not be called after the long press. I haven't noticed the issue but I will try to simulate.
Track recording dashboard page should probably be remembered. Good point a bit tricky though because the watch app has no notion of track recording session but I think some reasonable implementation could be done.
  •  

fera

I'm glad I could help!

Also I got to ask, since you were discussing button behaviour, is it possible to use the only button on my watch for anything in Locus Wear, or that is completely owned by the OS?  ::)

Now with a short press I get to the watchface/main screen, with a long press to the voice assistant.
  •  

milan.cejnar

@fera
well in theory I think it is possible to override that button but I think I have read in the documentation that you are just not supposed to even try that at anytime and under any circumstances.
I mean if an application got stuck, swipe-to-dismiss gesture would malfunction and the power button was overridden then you would have to probably wait until your watch shuts down by insufficient battery to be able to restart the watch.
So no unfortunately, this is something that will certainly not appear in our code.

P.S. That said the whole Wear add-on is currently open-sourced so practically anybody can hack whatever they want and run it on their watch :)
  •  

Danjel Rojka

Hello Milan, I didn't find the time to install the beta. Should I do this after the fact?
Or is the problem fixed?

regards
Danjel
  •  

milan.cejnar

Hello guys,
the new and hopefully final beta version 1.1.5 of the add-on is out. HRM should be finally fixed. You can uninstall the LM Free beta version it should now work even with production LM Pro version 3.32.2.
This is also a release candidate version of the add-on so if no more serious bugs are discovered, this version will go public in the next week (after rebuilding with new translations and disabled debugging to save battery.)

And again let me thank you all for your help and suggestions!

@fera @Danjel Rojka
Please test HRM normally, no debugging hopefully needed this time :)

@H Ifang
I have implemented version mismatch detection between phone and watch part of the add-on as per your suggestion.
I have also tried to fix that fake short press detection during screen switch.
Dashboard screen position still not remembered, but marked to be implemented in the following version after this release (don't really have more time/budget to implement more features to this release, sorry :/ )
  •  

gumka

Hello to everybody as this is my first post on this forum.

I'm Locus Map Pro user for long time. Recently I've bought smartwatch Ticwatch Pro and install Wear for Locus. However I can't get GPS position from GPS build in watch. Position is working only when I hold phone with GPS on, but that makes not much sense for having smartwatch;) I couldn't see also "Location" in Wear for Locus permissions, there are only "Sensors".
Is it possible to get position on smartwatch from build in GPS? If yes please guide me.
  •  

fera

Hi Milan!

Unfortunately I haven't had the time to thoroughly test the latest build, but I gave it a couple minutes already, and it looks good.

What is a bit strange for me is that the BPM value sometimes drops to zero on the watch dashboard before the next measurement and therefore the HRM value in LM on my phone drops to zero as well.

Is there maybe a way to indicate always the latest not zero readout value? Or should I use average? :)

P.S.: I will test it in greater depth today or tomorrow. ;)
  •  

H Ifang

Nice to hear there would be another fix ready, however I currently dont get it on the watch.

No problem with Locus probably, just Wear OS (again) got into some strange state. I put on WiFi and Bluetooth on the phone, Bluetooth on the watch, but it shows on the watch that it is not connected in Bluetooth settings, and crossed cloud symbol. Turning off/on Bluetooth did not help on both sides, even re-connecting. Wear App on the phone shows connection, it can do a screenshot or error report, so somehow the connection is there. But no connection in play store to get updates.
If someone has an idea what I could try else.. I currently dont plan to again completely reset the watch and start everything from scratch. That Wear OS really is still not very mature..
  •