External Bluetooth GPS

Started by shushuk, May 12, 2011, 10:55:24

shushuk

Hi together,
I am new to this forum, using the free version of Locus (1.7.4) at the moment for testing purposes, comparing it to Orux and ape@map on a Motorola Defy.

I would like to know whether you have actual information on the troubles using an external bluetooth gps mouse without third-party-tools as 'Bluetooth-GPS'.
I have read the threads on this issue and still don't know whether this is a priority topic and has a chance to get solved soon.
Using an external mouse is my standard way of using these apps to preserve battery. When using the Locus-internal Bluetooth-GPS-Option I don't get a fix at all.

Another question (maybe in the wrong forum, but hopefully I get some honest answers ;-) ): Is there a difference between the mentiond apps above regarding battery consumption when recording a track, assuming 'equal' conditions (recording intervals, display-usage, etc...).

Thanx for any Information
shushuk
  •  

jusc

"Bluetooth GPS" within or from Locus app doesn´t work mostly for me and my Defy too :(
Therefore I´m using the external gps with this app http://www.appbrain.com/app/bluetooth-g ... roid.btgps, that works always perfectly together with Locus.

If there is a diffrence regarding battery consumption, when recording a track? I don´t know.  As I remember I tracked about 8 hours, but the display of the Defy was switched mostly off.
My external GPS uses a SIRF III Chip, that seems to record tracks less "twitchy" as the internal Defy GPS. Maybe, that the external GPS solves some GPS problems with custom roms...

J.
Regards J.
  •  

denialr150

This is nice post,my opinion to this topic.I have an android mobile.And I am downloading an application from bluetooth android market.
Name of this application is Bluetooth GPS provider and it is work nicely and it is also free.

Menion

Hi guys,
  do you still have problems with running bluetooth GPS directly in Locus or is this already solved? I want to fix this because from one user (and his wife :)) I have report that this do not work correctly. So is anyone experiencing same issue? If so, is anyone experienced enough to look into logcat during connecting, if there is not any error? Thanks
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

shushuk

Hi menion,
I had the chance to test the internal bluetooth functionality last weekend.
Works now, thanks a lot!
shushuk
  •  

Menion

perfect, I hope that this should work well now on all phones.
  •  

berkley

Quote from: "cgingchura"What are the best Bluetooth headphones for listening to music? I just recently updated my iPod to OS 3.0 and I would like to take advantage of the bluetooth feature. What are a great pair of bluetooth headphones, for a reasonable amount?

:arrow: Sorry, wrong thread: We are talking about bluetooth GPS receivers!

:idea: And sorry, wrong forum: We are talking about an Android application!!!

I love iFail-noobs!!!  :mrgreen:  :ugeek:
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

pmoravec

Quote from: "berkley"
Quote from: "cgingchura"What are the best Bluetooth headphones for listening to music? I just recently updated my iPod to OS 3.0 and I would like to take advantage of the bluetooth feature. What are a great pair of bluetooth headphones, for a reasonable amount?

:arrow: Sorry, wrong thread: We are talking about bluetooth GPS receivers!

:idea: And sorry, wrong forum: We are talking about an Android application!!!

I love iFail-noobs!!!  :mrgreen:  :ugeek:

Are you sure that this is just a noob? A have a strong suspiction that this is a keyword link spam masked as a forum post.
  •  

Menion

forget to delete ... fixed ;)
  •  

sigi-s

Hello Forum,

On my Archos 70 I have big trouble with Locus Pro 1.13.1 and a Bluetooth GPS.
Locus is the one and only GPS App which makes troubles on my device.

The following Bluetooth GPS apps work on my device without any problem:
- Maverik
- OruxMap
- Google Map
- GPS Status
- Navigon
- OSM And
- OSM Tracker
I can switch between the programs and every program reports the correct position.

The Locus GPS engine does loose the position after some minutes (or seconds) or it does not even find the position.
This is NOT a problem of the Bluetooth GPS while all the above programs work at the same time and the same conditions.
On the satellite page of Locus (when position is lost):
- The satellite page does not show any satellite (although the BT GPS has a PGS fix and other GPS apps show >5 fixes satellites)
- Sometimes the latitude seems to be correct but the longitude value is 00 00 000

NO GREEN GPS ICON in Locus:
When using any of these above apps with the Bluetooth GPS, a green GPS-Icon appears on my status row.
NOT so in the Locus app:
Even if the BT-GPS is recognized for some minutes and shows the correct position, there is no green GPS symbol in the status bar
@menion: do you use a different GPS engine then these above programs?
? how about changing that? Could that solve the problem?

ERROR SEARCH
- When starting the app on a fresh booted device, the Locus GPS engine sometimes gets the
- I can not reproduce situation when it finds the position or not
- reboot of the device seems not to help
- A guess is, that using other Bluetooth GPS apps and switching back to Locus does disturb the Locus GPS.

As I searched through the forum and found the following threads describing the same problem:

Locus won't move to my current location
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136&p=5454&hilit=bluetooth+gps#p391
Last Post with error report:  Aug 17, 2011 9:24 pm

External Bluetooth GPS
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=587&p=4776&hilit=bluetooth+gps

Nutzung eines externen Bluetooth GPS
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=482

Lags during navigation.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1048&p=5973&hilit=bluetooth+gps#p5973
Last Post with error report:  Sep 06, 2011 6:43 pm

Locus and Bluetooth
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=979&p=5520&hilit=bluetooth+gps
Last Post with error report:  Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:24 pm

Please fix that problem soon as the app is nearly useless on my Archos which has no internal GPS.

Thanks
Sigi!
  •  

Gammalerik

I read somewhere that external bluetooth GPS receivers save quite some battery when navigating on a smartphone. How much battery-saving do we we speak of here? I own a SGS2.
  •  

Khaytsus

Quote from: "Gammalerik"I read somewhere that external bluetooth GPS receivers save quite some battery when navigating on a smartphone. How much battery-saving do we we speak of here? I own a SGS2.
I measured long ago that running a GPS on a previous phone was around the 80-90mAh mark, where bluetooth is nearly negligible.  So the battery savings is good, but what's even better is having an accurate and reliable GPS.  Built-in GPSes suck.  They have poor accuracy, poor sensitivity, and are often very slow to warm up.
  •