[APP] - version 3.21.x (21. 12. 2016+)

Started by Menion, December 21, 2016, 15:04:04

Menion

I was thinking about it, but for me it looks like really complicated to say, what activation of preset will do. You will have to remember, which settings are included into preset based on some "color difference" in big settings screen? Hmm quite complicated.

I may simplify current system even little more to be closer (but not exact) to this.

Current system:
1. open "Presets" screen
2. tap "+" to add new
3. set it's icon & name and tap save
4. you are in list of preferences. Preferences are even now set based on current value in app and you may modify them
5. back button returns to list of "Presets"

We may simplify it little bit to:
1. open "Presets" screen
2. tap "+" to add new
4. you are back in list of "Presets" with new preset added to start

5. (optional) advanced users may modify it's values by "edit" button in context menu

So for basic users, this will look like Garmin style and option to modify it's content without need to create new preset will remain. Should it be better?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Menion

Quote from: john_percy on February 06, 2017, 16:05:20
"Share with" Locus Maps from apps such as Google maps or GPSies seems just to share the title of a point or track with the search dialogue in Locus rather than pass on the actual point or track, which would be much more useful. I've not done an exhaustive trial but these two apps are indicative.

This highly depends on how application is sharing it's data. I remember that Google Maps share really just an address. Locus tries to detect coordinates in shared text and if there is none, "Address search" is used.
What you see in "address search" in Locus? Are there also coordinates? Because you wrote "share the title", I think it will be this problem .. unfortunately.
  •  

john_percy

Unfortunately that explains it. Google gives (as text) the title and a map short URL. I think just the title is used in the Locus address search.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Žajdlík Josef

Quote from: menion on February 06, 2017, 15:49:37
Some of you use this already over backup manager, but it always needs a restart, so not the best solution.

So far I have used this method too - aware of all the disadvantages that brings - and I am convinced that with the new presets will no longer be necessary. Still, if you should somehow modernize, then I would suggest the possibility of launching Locus clicking on a shortcut created from a "backup". This would not need to restart Locus, but immediately would run from backup presets. But I'm convinced that "the way is not the way."

CZ: Doposud jsem tento způsob taky používal - vědom si všech nevýhod, které přináší - a jsem přesvědčen, že s novými presety už nebude třeba. Přesto, pokud by se měl nějak modernizovat, pak bych doporučil možnost spuštění Locusu klepnutím na nějakého zástupce vytvořeného ze "zálohy". Tím by nebylo potřeba restartovat Locus, ale rovnou by se spustil s předvolbami ze zálohy. Ale stejně jsem přesvědčený, že "tudy cesta nevede".
  •  

lor74cas

Quote from: menion on February 06, 2017, 18:17:24
I was thinking about it, but for me it looks like really complicated to say, what activation of preset will do. You will have to remember, which settings are included into preset based on some "color difference" in big settings screen? Hmm quite complicated.

I may simplify current system even little more to be closer (but not exact) to this.

Current system:
1. open "Presets" screen
2. tap "+" to add new
4. you are in list of preferences. Preferences are even now set based on current value in app and you may modify them
5. back button returns to list of "Presets"

1. open "Presets" screen
2. tap "+" to add new

5. (optional) advanced users may modify it's values by "edit" button in context menu

So for basic users, this will look like Garmin style and option to modify it's content without need to create new preset will remain. Should it be better?

The second one the better, your method is what I badly tried to explain but what you create, with the list of settings, is better preset editing.

Inviato dal mio SM-G800F utilizzando Tapatalk
Locus Map 4
Locus Map for Garmin
Locus Tasker
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: menion on February 06, 2017, 15:49:37
not technically and practically possible to use complete! save/restore of all settings
@menion - I thought it could save you considerable development time not having to maintain these complex settings forms, and the UX is much easier for a typical user to understand & use - the Garmin user manual section on "Profiles" is so short, but in fact a complete description of function. You could save/restore exactly the same set of settings that are in the current beta, certainly not expecting all settings, that would be crazy. Am happy with any solution you decide, because the feature will save me much time switching settings.

Quote from: menion on February 06, 2017, 18:17:24
1. open "Presets" screen
2. tap "+" to add new

your suggestion looks very similar to (my interpretation of) Garmin style...and if you eliminate (optional) step 5 you save yourself a heap of maintenance of this complex form(s). Two options (compared to Garmin): A) if user now modifies any global setting, then active Preset is no longer active B) if user now modifies any global setting, then relevant setting change is saved into the active Preset (and remains active). I like option B, but user could also just delete active preset and tap + to save new settings.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

john_percy

Andrew's Option A sounds more logical and workable. With Option B I can see myself losing preset without meaning to.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

zossebart

Hi,

I just played around a little bit with 3.21.1.17.
How are we supposed to disable a setting in a preset in this version? For example, I don't want to change the map theme when applying a preset. In the previous versions, this was possible by not including the theme setting into the preset. How to do it in the current implementation? The edit screen of a preset doesn't seem to offer a possibility to remove a setting, only to change it. The same with dashboards, the only options are to disable the dashboard and enable a specific one, but no "don't change current dashboard status"...
I also discovered that "display always on" and "display activation" settings are not changeable by presets (anymore)? I thought this was possible in the earlier BETAs?

And another question: why did you remove "selection of activity" in the recording profiles?
  •  

Menion

Hello zossebart,
what you see in latest version is solution based on discussion here, that should make this function as simple as possible. So it really is not possible to define if settings will be applied or now.

If I remember correctly (and I confirm this by checking a code), "display always on" and "display activation" were never in presets.

Selection of activity: how often did you changed this settings? I personally never. When you create a new profile for track recording, you choose activity. It should not be needed to change it later or is there any serious reason I miss? Thanks
  •  

Žajdlík Josef

Today, for the first time in practice with version 3.21.1.17. Everything works smoothly, presets are now clearer and more consistent behavior.
But this much I asked for a refund elections hiding panels to presets. For small phones, this option proved very practical. It's very addictive whenever necessary to hide everything and have the whole map for display only. So that those elections were not many, it would possibly hiding all panels put under one item.

CZ: Dnes poprvé v praxi s verzí 3.21.1.17. Vše funguje bez problémů, presety jsou nyní srozumitelnější a chování logičtější.
Moc bych ale poprosil o vrácení volby skrývání panelů do presetů. Pro malé telefony se tato volba ukázala velmi praktická. Je to velmi návykové kdykoliv v případě potřeby vše skrýt a mít celý display jen pro mapu. Aby těch voleb nebylo mnoho, šlo by případně skrývání všech panelů dát pod jednu položku.
  •  

zossebart

Quote from: menion on February 12, 2017, 08:24:41
Hello zossebart,
what you see in latest version is solution based on discussion here, that should make this function as simple as possible. So it really is not possible to define if settings will be applied or now.
Yes, I'm aware of the efforts to simplify preset creation. I hope by "or now" you mean "for now" and this will be possible in a later version?

If I remember correctly (and I confirm this by checking a code), "display always on" and "display activation" were never in presets.
Ok, sorry, I thought so. So maybe you can add this settings (possibly later)?

Selection of activity: how often did you changed this settings? I personally never. When you create a new profile for track recording, you choose activity. It should not be needed to change it later or is there any serious reason I miss? Thanks
No, you are right, I thought setting the activity for a recording profile isn't possible at all in the new version, but setting it when creating the profile should be ok...
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: zossebart on February 11, 2017, 21:48:07
For example, I don't want to change the map theme when applying a preset. In the previous versions
@zossebart - with the simplified Garmin model that I proposed, you would just have same map theme for each of the presets. Agree not as good for power user, but simple & easy to use for ordinary user (hopefully).
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: Žajdlík Josef on February 12, 2017, 15:46:09
But this much I asked for a refund elections hiding panels to presets. For small phones, this option proved very practical. It's very addictive whenever necessary to hide everything and have the whole map for display only. So that those elections were not many, it would possibly hiding all panels put under one item.
@menion - fully agree with @Žajdlík Josef - most disappointed to see that hiding panels has been removed as a preset setting - I had a cycling profile with hiding right/ bottom panel (to maximize map visibility of course), and mapping profile with visible right/ bottom panel (for more onscreen functionality). Now it takes 9 extra taps to toggle these panels - menu > settings > maps > panels > bottom+right > back > back > back.

I like the black question mark icon to list settings in the preset.

Good to see in 3.21.1.17 (big jump of version) that Hold Map Center button state is restored even when no valid position. Thanks.
  •  

Menion

Guys thanks for testing and mainly feedbacks!!

Understand request for "panels". Based on small quick poll I made, it looks like it is not too often used settings ( http://www.rkursem.com/poll/view.php?cmd=view&id=11bf3a1b70e4b1937 ), so for now not, sorry.

My personal opinion is anyway still the same ... I think that "Presets" are too powerful tool to stay with current limited number of preferences without option to turn some of then off completely. Petr kill me for this :), anyway I would like to introduce some "advanced mode" that allows to add more preferences (like panels) and also option to remove some preferences from preset at all (maybe simple "toggle button > advanced mode" below name/icons in presets parameters).

Anyway as first public version, I think current solution is fine. Votes in ideas on help desk may show me, what (advanced) users wants.
  •  

Žajdlík Josef

Quote from: menion on February 13, 2017, 11:28:55
Understand request for "panels". Based on small quick poll I made, it looks like it is not too often used settings ( http://www.rkursem.com/poll/view.php?cmd=view&id=11bf3a1b70e4b1937 ), so for now not, sorry.
"Advanced Mode" - a great idea. It would be indeed a pity not something that you already programmed. Why is a few votes for hiding panels? Alone I would not think of how amazing thing is to see the map across the screen until I was over the old version presets tried. But, as he says: "He who once tried, he wants otherwise." Very addictive thing :-)

CZ: "Pokročilý režim" - skvělý nápad. Byla by ostatně škoda nevyužít něco, co už máš naprogramované. Proč je málo hlasů pro skrývání panelů? Samotného by mě nenapadlo jak úžasná věc je vidět mapu přes celou obrazovku, dokud jsem to přes starou verzi presetů nezkusil. Jak se ale říká: "Kdo jednou zkusil, nechce už jinak". Velmi návyková věc :-)
  •