[APP] - version 3.21.x (21. 12. 2016+)

Started by Menion, December 21, 2016, 15:04:04

Andrew Heard

PS. wrote long story before I read John & Michael's comments. I agree with them.

3.21.1.6 testing: I still notice when I change presets the old GPS position is restored. Steps: GPS disabled, 2 presets. Select 1 preset. Move position. Select 2nd present - observe map position changed to a completely different location. It's as if preset has hidden "position setting". Another user has mentioned this too.

I am happy with 2nd screen to select "preset settings selection" or 1 combined screen with checkboxes, but it just feel that the 2nd method may be more intuitive, even if list grows in future. One less screen to design & maintain for you? When I view the current 2nd screen "preset settings selection" (AKA T:CONTENT OF PRESET) I ask myself as "new user" - am I overriding a setting or selecting a setting or what? With checkbox and value side-by-side the purpose should be more clear. Untick checkbox > setting is disabled - UX is clear.

I like the highlighted preset in red (and that also supports my argument in next paragraph). I don't really see a need for word "active" below setting, but I guess it gives a hint for new user.

Your main question: If I change a setting in the active preset I would just expect to see the setting updated. If I delete a setting from active preset I would expect setting is not changed. At present after return from preset screen I see the main screen but no change yet. If I go back to preset I now see a message below preset "active, but changed". Example: edit active preset > toggle full screen > exit (to main screen) > I would expect full screen is updated. But at present it is not until I tap the active preset yet again that new setting is then used. Seems unintuitive & convoluted. I don't expect to tap the active preset to "deactivate" it. The model is - tap any preset to copy those defined settings to global settings then return to main screen.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Žajdlík Josef

Sometimes the error in the new version when creating presets. When he finished edits from the previous version, then all is well. But if I'll create a new one, then after entering the name Locus completely failed and the message "The application has been terminated."
It is Xperia M Adroid 4.3

CZ: Někde bude chyba v nové verzi při vytváření presetu. Když edituji už hotový z minulé verze, pak je vše v pořádku. Pokud ale dám vytvořit nový, pak po zadání názvu Locus úplně zhavaruje a objeví se hlášení "Aplikace byla ukončena".
Jedná se o Xperii M s adroidem 4.3
  •  

Menion

Ah, I'm little confused now :). I though that most of you wants system like "Activate preset", "Deactivate preset". If not, which I also like, then better for me. Fine.

I'll look to FC issues, thanks.

@Andrew Heard: when you change preset, then "center" map is probably enabled. It should simulate tap on bottom left "center button" on map screen. It probably work exactly same, right?

Perfectly understand your point with second "Content of presets" page. I'm not throwing away my hope for separate selection, but agree it needs better UI/different system.

And about "active preset": as wrote Michael and John before ... I have to think if this helps something or not (so if it is needed or not). I made it only to see if in practice and to test it. In language of source code, it is just a fake. Locus only remember which preset was selected as last and test if currently active preferences are same or different compare to last selected preset. So no science.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Žajdlík Josef

I'm not very good at English, but if I understood what he writes Andrew Heard so this does not fit me too much. It is possible that the tracking of changes implemented after the activation of presets is complicated. In this case, the entire section should appoint preset but "mass adjustments". Then one should expect that elections will react to additional adjustment in the application. If it were to be preset, then it should appear in the title inscription: preset changed with a choice: ignore / save changes.

CZ: Nejsem moc dobrý v angličtině, ale pokud jsem rozuměl tomu co píše Andrew Heard tak tohle mi taky moc nepasuje. Je možné, že sledování změn provedených po aktivaci presetu je komplikované. V tomto případě by se celá sekce neměla jmenovat preset ale "hromadné úpravy nastavení" . Pak by nikdo nečekal, že budou volby reagovat na dodatečná přestavení v aplikaci. Pokud by to měly být preset, pak by se měl u názvu objevit nápis: preset změněn s volbou: ignorovat/uložit změny.
  •  

john_percy

Most recent beta does not preserve selected offline map. It appears to revert to last selected online map.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

balloni55

LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

john_percy

Quote from: balloni55 on February 03, 2017, 11:13:35
this was reported in #96
It was indeed reported before but the problem for me has only occurred since today's beta.
  •  

john_percy

Quote from: menion on February 02, 2017, 06:46:13
@john_percy: thanks for a screenshot. I'm trying to find out something more about this problem. Usually there is info about some issues on Android 4.4 and olders (not sure if this is your case). Anyway is it possible to connect your device to power supply and let Locus Map visible in foreground together with screen turned on for a whole time? If this helps .. thanks
I've tried that as requested. Downloading the Great Britain OAM map generally seems to freeze up part way through but I've managed to download and install the much smaller Azores OAM map.  I'm using my home wifi connection which is generally reliable.
After doing a restart and app optimisation, followed by unmounting and remounting the SD card, I made better progress and got as far as attempted extraction, which failed. This may be due to lack of memory storage space on my system (as opposed to SD).
It's just far simpler for me to download and extract to PC and then transfer to my phone directly over wifi.
  •  

Menion

Quote from: Žajdlík Josef on February 03, 2017, 11:09:38
I'm not very good at English, but if I understood what he writes Andrew Heard so this does not fit me too much. It is possible that the tracking of changes implemented after the activation of presets is complicated. In this case, the entire section should appoint preset but "mass adjustments". Then one should expect that elections will react to additional adjustment in the application. If it were to be preset, then it should appear in the title inscription: preset changed with a choice: ignore / save changes.

Hmm initial idea in name "preset" is based on for example home/car radio. You are also able to setup "presets". You for example save certain radio frequency under "Preset 1". When you then preset button "1", frequency is set and that's all. When you tune different frequency, it has no effect on this preset.

@john_percy, @balloni55 : hmm I hoped it is already solved. Fine thanks, I'll look at it again ...

EDIT: And John. thanks for testing. If same issue appear for more people, we should look at it closer. Anyway till you will be satisfied with copy over PC, no problem ...
  •  

Žajdlík Josef

Quote from: menion on February 03, 2017, 12:15:47
Hmm initial idea in name "preset" is based on for example home/car radio. You are also able to setup "presets". You for example save certain radio frequency under "Preset 1". When you then preset button "1", frequency is set and that's all. When you tune different frequency, it has no effect on this preset.

This comparison to preset the radio is correct. The difference is that when the radio to a different frequency, Preset1 indication on the display disappears. This could be used also in the locus. If the answer to the current Preset settings would be displayed at preset word "active". When I adjusted the Locus something, the word "active" would disappear. Unfortunately, this would entail the need to compare the profile settings.

CZ: To přirovnání k předvolbě v rádiu je správné. Rozdíl je v tom, že když přeladím rádio na jinou frekvenci, označení Preset1 na displeji zmizí. To by se dalo využít i v Locusu. Pokud bude Preset odpovídat aktuálnímu nastavení, zobrazil by se u presetu nápis "active". Když bych něco v Locus přenastavil, nápis "active" by zmizel. Bohužel by to s sebou neslo nutnost porovnávání profilu s nastavením.
  •  

Žajdlík Josef

Quote from: menion on February 03, 2017, 10:38:59
Ah, I'm little confused now :). I though that most of you wants system like "Activate preset", "Deactivate preset". If not, which I also like, then better for me. Fine.

These check boxes to activate your preferences are handy and practical. It will face a situation where they will be added in the new position after Locus create a preset. Thus, just when they are added to the existing presets as inactive. Otherwise there is a problem with how to add an existing preset on or off? Technically, however, should option when creating a new preset proceed so that first I have to choose which stations will be active and only then set on / off.

CZ: Ta zatržítka u aktivace předvoleb jsou šikovná a praktická. Bude to navíc řešit i situace kdy budou přidány v Locusu nové předvolby po vytvoření presetu. Takto stačí když budou do stávajících presets přidány jako neaktivní. Jinak by nastala potíž s tím jak je do existujícího presetu přidat on nebo off? Technicky by ale měla volba při vytváření nového presetu probíhat tak, že si napřed musím zvolit jaké předvolby budou aktivní a pak teprve nastavovat on/off.
  •  

zossebart

Hey,

I also encounter the bug that the last offline map is not remembered and the last used online map is loaded instead on the next startup.
I also experience force-closes every time I want to create a new preset in the current BETA (after name input)!

In my opinion, highlighting the last activated preset is not necessary.
I like the idea of combining more than one preset, for example, first activate "big" bicycle preset with lots of changes at once (gps following, rotation, map center, auto-zoom, theme, dashboard etc.) and than later when necessary activating another "smaller" preset only changing some of the settings (for example gps following off, auto-zoom off and rotation off) in order to look around on the map. I (the user) do this intentionally, so I am (or should be) aware of the settings change.
  •  

Žajdlík Josef

Menione, I have to apologize to label active / active but have changed in the new version, and it looks very good. Good work.
1) I can confirm the error in loading maps. After starting the application is sometimes read bad map. I think it has to do with the fall application when you try to create a new preset. If Locus will end normally, the map is loaded correctly. But if you crash when you create a preset, the map loads in some small distinction is blurred. Only help re-elect the map file.
2) Minor adjustments should occur at T: content of preset. When you activate the option and I will close the bar with a cross at the top right, I'll get straight to the main screen with a map and not back into the preset options. It is illogical He must first select the active item, and then they just set off / on.

CZ: Menione, musím se omluvit to označení active/active but changed už v nové verzi je a vypadá to velmi dobře. Dobrá práce.
1) Mohu potvrdit chybu v načítání map. Po startu aplikace je někdy načtena špatná mapa. Myslím, že to souvisí s pádem aplikace při pokusu vytvořit nový preset. Pokud Locus ukončím normálně, mapa se načte správně. Jestli ale havaruje při vytváření presetu, mapa se načítá v nějakém malém rozlišení a je neostrá. Pomůže jen znovu zvolit mapový soubor.
2) Drobná úprava by měla nastat v T:content of preset. Když aktivuji volby a dám panel zavřít křížkem vpravo nahoře, dostanu se rovnou do základní obrazovky s mapou a ne zpět do voleb presetu. To je nelogické, musím přeci napřed vybrat aktivní položky a pak u nich teprve nastavit off/on.
  •  

Menion

Hello, thanks all for valuable feedback.

Oki so next iteration step. Seem you have various opinions on activated/disabled state. Correct from technical point of view, is forget on it. There is no "active" state, because preferences are just "loaded", nothing more. On second side, I can imagine that for some users, can be idea of "activated settings" more imaginable. Let's leave this for now, so I've removed this red highlight. Preset will be just loaded, nothing more for now.

About two necessary screens to setup preset vs single screen: no discussion that single screen with all preferences will be most easy to understand. And when number of preferences remains low as is now, it should work.
One screen with switch on one side may work as well, but for me it looks like too much control buttons on single place = over-buttoned. I always liked to give users "options", so "two screens" solutions still looks for me like most feature rich and not yet too complex. Maybe more hidden and less disturbing "edit" button, should help. I'll discuss it with Petr and Michal next week.

@Andrew Heard: I'm sorry, I still do not understand what exactly is a problem with "centering". "Center" preference in preset after selection do exactly! same action, like when you tap on "center button" in bottom left corner of map screen. it probably don't work as expected only when GPS is turned off right?

@Josefe: hmm now I've changed something you liked :). Sorry

Thanks all once more. I'm going to publish new Beta version with hope, all will work as expected and wish you nice weekend!
  •  

balloni55

V 3.21.1.7
FC by adding new preset and map switch on restart are solved, thanks ;)
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Menion