Problem with folder 'data/srtm'

Started by zossebart, November 18, 2016, 10:56:34

zossebart

I notice a red warning popup (toast message) from Locus Pro saying (translated from german) "problem with folder for 'data/srtm'" for some time (months) now. The popup appears some seconds after Locus start, as well as after display off/on. It is also displayed over other apps/android homescreen when Locus is in the background (locus as a service is enabled).

However, Locus seems to use srtm data without problems (track charts, hillshading, height display at cursor position all work).

I configured the location of srtm data in Locus to be at "/sdcard1/Android/data/menion.android.locus.pro/srtm" (external SD). There are srtm data files in this folder (I think all were downloaded from within Locus along with LoMaps or via "fill altitude value" of some tracks).

So what could the "problem" be that Locus sees with this folder? How can the warning message be prevented?
  •  

Christian

I had this message also. Until... my sdcard (reader internally) died :(
Had issues when camera with saving camera photos to external sdcard: need long time to save.
May be menion can explain how Locus check the path (read / write?).

•  

Menion

hmmm @zossebart, post me here please a screenshot of this popup, so I may try to locate where and why exactly this happen, thanks.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

michaelbechtold

Funny enough I had that yesterday. Only once, but dynamic elevation still works (offline). Weird glitch it seems.
Or nearing death of SD :-(
  •  

zossebart

Hope the screenshot works from tapatalk.
My SDCard is from March or April, so I think it should be ok.
Maybe I should delete and re-download the data?
  •  

Christian

Format sdcard, reset phone and the toast will go away for sure.
>:D
  •  

Menion

Hmm this will be more complicated. Firstly thanks for a screenshot. Visible error message is quite general so it's not perfectly clear why it happen. In same time, this error happen, Locus also print to log some more information about this issue. May you please try to create a log report by this method http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:faq:how_to_create_debug_log ? Not sure if there will be anything useful, but it's another step. I'm worried that if I create a special test version for you, it will work fine ... :).
  •  

zossebart

I will try to create a debug log this evening, no need for a special test version! It's not a bad problem after all, because I have elevation data working without problems. Only the toast message is annoying...
  •  

Menion

Hello,
we have a short discussion on help desk in topic that was created with send bug report (thanks for it), but I
ll continue here in this starting topic.

Unfortunately you wrote that in latest Beta version is no difference, but I hoped it will be solved. This is definitely some issue in cooperation of Android & SD card.

Only one idea ... seems you have SRTM data on SD card in something like "/storage/sdcard1/Android/data/menion.android.locus.pro/srtm"? May you try to place them to something like "/storage/sdcard1/Locus SD/srtm" ?
  •  

michaelbechtold

Even on an Android 4.4 I have this working in the Android/data/menion.android.locus.pro/srtm folder.
HOWEVER, when upgrading to 5.x, the nomenclature of external SD card path changed fundamentally.
And it can differ between vendor and vendor, too.
So I advise that you edit the srtm path, traverse upwards until you hit the root folder ("/"), then look for something like "/Storage" and traverse downwards into your SD card. Typically the SD-Card now is identified by a number sequence like 9458-3308.
Good luck and cheers
Michael
  •  

zossebart

Copying the srtm folder to /storage/sdcard1/Locus/data and changing the path accordingly in Locus did not prevent the error popup

Also, changing the base of the path to something other than /storage/sdcard1/ seems not to be possible in Locus, because it is only changeable by selecting "internal" or "external" sd and then proceed folder selection from there. So I have no influence on the beginning of the path...
  •  

Menion

sorry zossebart, I have currently no idea how to solve this issue in your device :(
  •  

michaelbechtold

What is your android Version, zossebart ?
I tried and saw the display like you described.
After selecting a folder on external SD card, though, the settings overview showed the /storage/<number ...>/...
But back to the path you are using: if you have Android 4.x, this /storage/sdcard1/Locus/data path cannot work, but you nned to use the one Menion mentioned /storage/sdcard1/Android/data/menion.android.locus.pro/srtm.
Android restriction, not Locus.
  •  

zossebart

I'm on Android 5.1.1

I tested the /storage/sdcard1/Locus/data location in my last post only with current pro version, not with the BETA! So I changed the path in BETA and tested again...and the popup never showed up again!

I mean NEVER (until now). Not in BETA and also not in Pro. It also makes no difference if the path is set to /storage/sdcard1/Locus/data/srtm or /storage/sdcard1/Android/data/menion.android.locus.pro/srtm. There is no more error message shown and srtm data is useable without problems (as it was all the time).

I don't have an explanation for this, it seems the problem "magically" disappeared only after changing the path in the current BETA.
I think before I changed the path in BETA, it was displayed like an url-encoded string (lots of "%"s) in red color in the settings interface, but I didn't pay too much attention to this and just changed it. So unfortunately, I have no screenshot. I never saw this before.
  •  

Menion

Hmm funny. If in path is many %s values, it means that Locus Map is unable to convert internal path to folder (weird to text you see with many %s values), into well known path like you wants to see.

Anyway use it and you will see. Maybe it won't come back ... we all hope for You :)
  •