how to share locus free offline

Started by Dejan Jeremić Jera, September 12, 2016, 16:16:19

Dejan Jeremić Jera

recently I got team of British cavers visiting my country and we encountered a "problem" with locus free... I prepared 2 big topo maps in sqlitedb format of region in which we are doing cave exploration, and I bring it with me on the field, I also downloaded locus free apk file . I bringed everything on both USB flash and phone. But despite I putted all on their phones we were unable to start locus apk itself. We needed to download some 5,5 mb more in order for locus to start.
Do I need to mention that there was NO  usable cell signal for many kilometres around, we were at complete wilderness. so within a group of 20 people, my phone only got usable maps because net is a must to initiate locus free.

bottomline: Is there a posibility to install some functional free version without a net access?
  •  

Menion

Good day Dejan, unfortunately this is  otherwise technically possible. For the first start, Locus needs Internet access for download of extra libraries based on device. Because libraries vary based on device, they cannot be included in APK files. Thanks for understanding.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

michaelbechtold

That is interesting. What makes Locus needs so special compared to other apps, incl. other geo apps ?
  •  

Menion

Special? I'm not saying that Locus is special. But it use spatialite native libraries where every library for every platform is around 5MB and it does not make sense to include all libraries (4 in total) into APK when always only one is needed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •