help with road database

Started by Cory McAlpin, September 06, 2016, 00:41:24

Cory McAlpin

What map do I need, so that when I am navigating a course I created in rural Iowa, Locus pro can tell me what road I am turning on next instead of just saying unknown road? Sometimes I like to view the turns ahead of time and keep them in my memory bank but when all it says is unknown road I obviously have no idea which road that will be.
  •  

poutnikl

Locus does not use maps for the route calculation nor providing instructions.The used vector map format and related public code libraries of MapsForge do not provide such feature for now. Locus relies to online or offline 3rd party routing services. The best maps to be used are MapsForge compatible vector maps ( Locus LoMaps, or OpenAndroMaps ), as in such a case map and routing data are consistent, with the same master data origin.

The online service MapQuest ( can be chosen in Locus Settings-Navigation) provides names of the streets. This service is paid by the Locus author company and it may happen the service may be unavailable due reaching licence usage limit.

Cory McAlpin

Thanks for the info. I have another question. I downloaded brouter and downloaded all the maps in the United States last night. Then I went into Locus Pro and used brouter for the offline navigation source. But I still can't find a simple address to navigate to. I had to use Google Maps to go there. Why is that? Did I do something wrong? I guess I was under the impression that when you did this Locus Pro would have street maps and info in its system similar to Google Maps.
  •  

michaelbechtold

Quote from: Cory McAlpin on September 06, 2016, 14:11:38
Thanks for the info. I have another question. I downloaded brouter and downloaded all the maps in the United States last night. Then I went into Locus Pro and used brouter for the offline navigation source. But I still can't find a simple address to navigate to. I had to use Google Maps to go there. Why is that? Did I do something wrong? I guess I was under the impression that when you did this Locus Pro would have street maps and info in its system similar to Google Maps.
OSM, which is the data base behind LoMaps, OpenAndroMaps and BRouter sometimes has more details, sometimes less details than Google Maps. Hence this is not a Locus or Router question, both handle the data they got fed.

Gesendet von meinem LG-H850 mit Tapatalk

•  

michaelbechtold

Do a Google search for Locus Add-on Tweak and follow the PlayStore link and instructions. That should help. Details are no discussion topic in this forum...

•  

poutnikl

Quote from: Cory McAlpin on September 06, 2016, 14:11:38

the basic help or problems are supposed to be addressed at helpdesk forum http://help.locusmap.eu/

By all maps, do you mean LoMaps vector maps from Locus store ? If yes, they provide offline address search, IF the address is properly registered in OpenStreetMaps data. If no, or if you do not want to use offline search for whatever reasons,
you can use online search with search provider option Google / MapQuest / Bing.

for more, review also the doc pages http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=main

john_percy

@Michael: I'm not sure how Locus tweaks will help with this problem.
There are a number of ways of doing an address search in Locus. You can search for an address when you initiate navigation. This can be either offline (with LoMaps) or online (using Google, Bing, or Mapquest). Switch between offline and online search by tapping the top right corner of the title bar. You can also do a straight search and use other providers, including Geonames (which can be downloaded to enable an offline search).
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Cory McAlpin

Quote from: john_percy on September 06, 2016, 20:03:30
@Michael: I'm not sure how Locus tweaks will help with this problem.
There are a number of ways of doing an address search in Locus. You can search for an address when you initiate navigation. This can be either offline (with LoMaps) or online (using Google, Bing, or Mapquest). Switch between offline and online search by tapping the top right corner of the title bar. You can also do a straight search and use other providers, including Geonames (which can be downloaded to enable an offline search).

I don't think I am techy enough to follow what you guys are even talking about. I have an old smartphone with no data and use it for a gps. I am just playing around trying to use locus pro to navigate offline. I use it for courses that i import ahead of time for my bike rides. I thought it might be cool to be able to use it to navigate me to my customers houses the same way I use Google maps on my new phone. But after downloading 3 free Lo maps from the Locus store(Iowa, Missouri, and Kansas) I cannot seem to to find any addresses. It just says no results found. It can find the towns but no streets within those towns will produce any results. I cannot even search up my house to navigate to home if I wanted to lol. I like Locus Pro for what I originally got it for (Importing gpx courses into the app for bike course navigation) but other than that I am not finding it very user friendly at all.
  •  

balloni55

For offline address seach are two prerequisites
- you have downloaded Lo maps from store after beginning (10. ?) of may 2016
- at end of map download you have confirmed "download additional data for offline address search"

please check first if these data is availabele on your device ;)
menu/search/hamburger button top right/search address (Offline)

if "search address (Offline)" is available select in next window e.g. Missouri and search for an address inside Missouri

Good luck ;)
Locus Map 4.23.1.2 Gold AFA

LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Cory McAlpin

Quote from: balloni55 on September 07, 2016, 08:04:14
- at end of map download you have confirmed "download additional data for offline address search"

if "search address (Offline)" is available select in next window e.g. Missouri and search for an address inside Missouri

Good luck ;)

Yea just checked and that is all as it should be. I tried searching offline as well as on wifi and the info just is not there. I assumed once I downloaded these maps all this info would be in the app but I guess not.
  •  

michaelbechtold

Quote from: Cory McAlpin on September 07, 2016, 14:40:51
Quote from: balloni55 on September 07, 2016, 08:04:14

Good luck ;)

Yea just checked and that is all as it should be. I tried searching offline as well as on wifi and the info just is not there. I assumed once I downloaded these maps all this info would be in the app but I guess not.
If you nsee the streets in Google Maps, then searching in Locus via Google search engine should get you there, even if OSM data from LoMaps would not have any name.
If you use the tweak Add-on I mentioned below, then you can even see the names in online Google Maps, presented inside Locus.
Your use case would benefit from defining your customers as POIs in the Locus database, and you do that as long as you are online.
Then you can also use online Routing services from inside Locus and store it in Locus database (klick 'permanent' checkbox).

•