improve route planning

Started by Rob, April 25, 2011, 21:53:39

Rob

Hi Menion, I like the feature to plan a route on Galaxy Tab directly but I have a suggestion to improve this planning:
now you have to click twice: first to add the point, 2nd to select car, bike, foot - and this each time (or am I wrong?)
My proposal is:to select first: car, bike or foot and this selection is valid for all points of current track - so you only have to add point after point.

2. A bug??: When planning and changing from auto-route to manual (e.g because auto-route does not fit) the track is not continued but brakes. Can you pls check this.
Thx and further success with this really powerful app!
regards Rob
  •  

Menion

hmm you bring to me one nice idea, so ... route planning is now working a little bit different. You'll see, just wait for release on market or as testing here on forum ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Menion

so, test new version 1.6.1.2 here from forum. It's there (improvements)
  •  

Rob

Hi menion, the idea fixing auto-route and highlight button is great and really makes it more easier to plan.
Some problems I detected:
1. Same like before: when you switch during planning from auto-route to manual the track discontinued instead of continue with same colorsetting. It happens that auto-routesometimes find "own" ways, which I do not want. So I want to switch to manual, set some next points, switch back to auto-route and expect that the track keeps complete. But it does not.
2. Changing between offline maps does not work anymore. I had to close the app, reopen again and than the area around a planned track keeps the map of planning, whereas the tiles out of track changes. I will send you a screenshot by mail.
EDIT: I just found, that its a question of refreshing the screen. When zoom in or out the map changes. (Written after mail to you)
3. The distancebar shows only the correct length when creating the track. After finishing and selecting again it always shows 0 m. An idea would be instead of clicking twice in track to show the pointinfos direct in this bar e.g. above the bar distance from, below to end of track.

Nevertheless you ars on a very good way to improve.
All the best
Kind regards
Rob
  •  

Menion

1. It's the way i created this function. You can just create whole track computed with spaces or whole only from straight parts. Do you think that track created from computed and straight parts should be fine. Hmm but what when someone want to create space. .. have to think about it.

3. Don't understand ... you want to see track distance in top bar? And why this? This value is needed only once right?
  •  

Rob

Hi Menion, thx for reply. The reason for 1) is, that especially when planning for hike on detailed maps (eg my lovely Bergfex map) the autoroute sometimes does not find the small ways just the "mainroads" . So my idea is to plan the small routes just straight and continue then with autoroute. But this creates the "breaks. So maybe a selection window when long click on autoroute-button with "Pause"or "continue" can solve both.

Ad 2) yes displaying the trackdistance continously during recording (when guide is on ) showing how far we already went from stsrt and how far it is to end of track would be a nice goodie. The same info you provide already when clicking on a point of track, only steadily shown.
krg Rob
  •  

Rob

Hi Menion, without pushing you :-)...
did you think about my proposals? I wonder, if I´m the only one using this manual/auto mode for same track - can hardly believe. I can understand that it happens mainly on very detailed maps, where autoroute not always is working correctly - as mentioned in my blog above.

ad 2) did I describe enought to understand ?
  example of guide-info on actual position, where <> indicates actual position of planed track.    

distance from start:  ........................... 3,0                          
full tracklength-bar:   0  ===================<>==============================================  10km
distance to end:................................. 7,0

or just with one line:

distance from/to end...............3,0........................7,0            
full tracklength-bar:   0  ===================<>==============================================  10km

krg Rob
  •  

Menion

hi rob,
  ad 1) it's there ... (oh I maybe forgot to count whole distance in top left bar)
  ad 2) it's also there. partially - in top bar when guiding you can see distance to end instead of distance to next point. Hmm anyway I have to think about it a little more. What to show (in top bar) when guiding on one specific point and what to show when guiding along path ...
  •  

Rob

great menion,
"it´s there".. means in next verion 1.7.1 ?

ad 2) You are right: I did not think about "next point", just how far I´m away from end of my track.

The more small ideas came up the more complex it gets - congratulation to you, to consider ALL aspects and trying to satisfy almost ALL user wishes !!
krg
Rob
  •  

Minjin

Hi Menion,

I just tested the feature to follow a route and see the distance to the end at the top bar but...

1) top bar show 2.6 km what is the distance between the to last points and not the total distance to the end (2.6 + 0.5 = 3.1km)

[2.6 km] <- (Top bar)

500m>>>>>
---------------------------X------------------------------X (end)
                                                (2.6km)

It is not better to show the total whole distance to the end ? So no need to calculate to know the exact route meaning ?
  •  

Menion

sure, my mistake. fixed in new version 1.7.1
  •  

Rob

Hi menion,
THANKS a lot!
Routeplanning with change auto-route/manual works perfect now ! Shows up on line (=one continued route), same color of auto/manu parts after saving, correct distance over all ... great!!
Guinding info also works fine. Just a minor issue: the text next the actual point is often overlapped by the guiding-arrow and therefore hard to read, especially because the text also turns with the direction, parallel to track line. Can I / you fix it, so that it will stay upright ?

regards
Rob
  •  

Minjin

Thanks !

Work fine now !!
  •