Customizable screen for GPS data

Started by MaleSmurf, April 25, 2011, 10:30:51

MaleSmurf

I just want to start the discussion for a customizable screen in Locus. There is an app called TrekBuddy and there is this screen called CMS. The app provides all the GPS variables and the user can decide in what way this data should be displayed on the screen. Here is a sample (//http://wiki.trekbuddy.net/index.php/CMS) how it looks like... The first picture in blue colors is an old version of my cms...

Such a screen would be great to see in Locus.
What do you think about it???
  •  

golgot

In fact, I'd deeply prefer to have these information in top of Locus map instead on a new screen... It can be really great if I can add my speed/altitude in the top of the map screen... I'd like to be able to set the text size, position, and color (with transparency) in the front of the track map (and not in a special menu) - because I always need the map...

Another really cool stuff may be to show the speed using the whole screen with a fluo background when I rise above my previous maxspeed... I've such a feature on my Recon Ski Goggles, it was so great to see a big flashing 103 Km/h during skiing, I'd like to see the same on my bike (but I think that unfortunately, I cannot reach such speed while biking)... :)

OK, It's useless and dangerous, but that's why it's cool, and great!  :twisted:  :twisted:
  •  

MaleSmurf

I agree that it would be great to have some variables together with the map but also an own customizable screen with all the other informations...
  •  

MaleSmurf

Additionally to an own cms screen, some variables would be needed to see them together with the map. How about one line with 4 fields, which can userdefined be set?

@Menion
Any chance to add this?   ;)
  •  

Menion

fine guys, will you help me to develop this? Simple process ... I'll be slowly create new features that should be used in custom screen and you'll be testing :D ...

I have simply idea. Are you familiar with basics of android screen XML layout documents? If not, you should try to study. There is not possibility to parse these layouts files directly, so I'll be creating some modified and working version ... OK? ;)

EDIT: hmm ... I was thinking about it a little ... maybe MaleSmurf's idea isn't so bad ... should it be really useful to be able create fully customizable screen or just placing somw "widgets" on screen should be enough? If you prefer CMS, then I will need some simple examples to start ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

MaleSmurf

Hi Menion!

Well, I did the CMS in TrekBuddy (XML) and there was also HECL possible. HECL is a kind of interpreter where some calculation in the CMS by user is possible. I started with the developer the HECL programming in CMS  :)

With android I have no experience, but maybe I can help you nevertheless.  ;)
I think the best solution would be some user defined "widgets" on mapscreen and an own CMS screen. Wow... that's it...  8-)
  •  

Menion

hmm so first working example is here ...

there is actually no working APK file and no documentation for this. I just wanted to let you know that I works on it :). So what variables and features are most needed? I should add few more and then release some testing version for you also ...

anyway, customization is done by Android layout xml file with some small modification. So no drag and drop editing inside application possible now
  •  

Menion

fine ... first public attempt ...

testing version here ... viewtopic.php?f=25&t=548
"manual" HOW TO, here ... viewtopic.php?f=21&t=578

discuss about .. here :)
  •  

MaleSmurf

Hi Menion!

Let's start...

Useful variables:

speed, speed max, speed average, speed indicator which shows whether you're faster or slower than average speed
distance travelled, distance to next waypoint
time travelled
altitude, altitude min, altitude max, altitude up, altitude down
lat, lon, lat waypoint, lon waypoint

Can you please tell how the variables are set up?

Example {speed}:

Is the value integer (ie 25) or with decimals (ie 25.4)?
Is the unit shown too (ie 25.4 km/h)?
The range of the variable...

I would like to see one feature, maybe it's already there...  :?:
Is it possible to use a background (png) for the CMS?
If not, please... add it... With a background picture you can make much better CMS designs in an easy way...  ;)

I will check your HowTo later today...  ;)
  •  

Menion

fine, I'll add all useful variables slowly ... but ... what about some average values? These are available in Locus only during track recording ok? When no track record is enabled, no average values are available.

Also all actually implemented variables are formated automatically. You have to also count that:
1. there is many many display resolutions
2. every user used different display values (km/h, m/h, ..)

it will need some testing. Anyway you have to count that all this work will need some work, and I'll add functionality slowly as you or others will need. For now, all values are together with units. Do you thing that is useful to be able separate values and units into two parts? Also is important for you to have separated decimal part of values? As I said before, you have to count that every user, use different settings ...
  •  

MaleSmurf

Hmm... is it possible to get average variables without track recording? Well, if it's too much work it's ok too...

Because of all the needs it is better to separate value und unit into two parts. All the different display resolutions are very difficult to handle. That's the reason why I would like to see the background feature as soon as possible. So, different CMS can be designed for all the resolutions by users. The background contains all the graphic data and the user has only to make an XML which puts the variables (without units) on the right place...

And additionally I would add these line which I posted already, where the user can set 4 variables on the map screen. The user can only select which of the variables (you offer them) should be placed on which place. So that it will work with every resolution...

EDIT:  For the decimal thing... I think this is only interesting for speed. I would do all speed variables twice because sometimes it's better with decimals and sometimes without... so how about  {speed} and {speed_int} or something like this?
  •  

Menion

background feature is already  there for TextView and Button item. I'll add it also for RelativeLayout and LinearLayout (these are containers that only hold data). Look also on my examples attached to How To screen. You'll see that all on screen is from pictures. I'll look on separating values into value and unit part. Look also on nine-patch ... it's really very very useful for holding more resolutions ... http://developer.android.com/guide/topi ... nine-patch!

All style of creating GUI in custom screen is based on creating GUI in android itself, so if you're not familiar with this and you want to do something like "custom screens", I'll help you a lot ... http://developer.android.com/guide/topi ... ayout.html

For all items I use and write my own custom wrapper because android cannot create simply GUI from external GPX file, so I should add some special functionality for every View item ...

we will discuss it later ;). Good luck if you want to try do something and ask whatever question you have! I feel it as very cool feature and I'm really sure, this will work nice!
  •  

Menion

another testing version release ... much more supported variables. Please look on HOW TO screen. There is attached working example (best is first called "menion"). I fully support only LinearLayout and TextView components, but it's enough . You can see what is simply possible (after 10 minutes of work) with these components ... (there are just example terrible colors, but you can use whatever color you want and also whatever image you want). If anyone know about any simple web tutorial how to create layouts for android, that should help to others, write me here ...
  •  

durian

Just a question from someone who is following this with great interest; will these fields be on the map screen, or will it be a seperate screen with only these dashboard fields?

-peter
  •  

Menion

hi, it is separate screen ... but! actually you can only place items one next to another. After this will works fine and some simple skins will be ready and fully working, I'll start work on layout system that allow cover one item with another, ability to add map item also here and some custom items ... so you'll be able to place for example to half of screen map, on top some speed item and over corner of map, coordinates or something like this ... for example. Ok? :) That's my plan ...

EDIT: hmm you bring me also on nice idea ... to create this screen with transparent background .. hmm :) I'll think about it!!
  •