[APP] - version 3.18.x (27. 6. 2016+)

Started by Menion, June 27, 2016, 20:21:08

tommi

Quote from: voldapet on July 26, 2016, 11:59:52
I often think in Parero's principle 80:20.
Peter, Locus users are not part of the 80% of smartphone map users, those 80% simply use Google Maps and are happy with it.
This is my experience in more than 5 years using Locus and showing it to other people who are surprised what I can do with this smartphone app with the strange name (meaning of Locus in German).
But almost all of them stick with Google Maps though I show them that it misses a lot of outdoor information compared to Vector maps in Locus, route planning with brouter, ...
Locus is and should stay a Swiss Army Knife, only then it is useful in the wild.
  •  

poutnikl

Quote from: tommi on July 26, 2016, 20:26:45
Peter, Locus users are not part of the 80% of smartphone map users, those 80% simply use Google Maps and are happy with it.... 

+1  Locus is more Swiss knife than a cheap knife for spreading butter. 
But Peter may think about 80% of those 20%...   :-)

michaelbechtold

Whatever Petr thinks this 80% group needs - fell free to put those things as the DEFAULT settings.
And give the full power to everyone, as an option. E.g. to grow from the 80% to the 20% group skill level, rather than patronize everybody with ideology.
  •  

poutnikl

It is like with BRouter profiles.

For 80%, the default profiles out of the box are good enough. The rest accepts the benefit, challenge and power of custom profiles, own or shared.

If BR was focused to 80% only, the profiles could be as well hardcoded to binaries, referred just by their names.

The simple and advanced approaches do not exclude each other, but complement each other.

@Peter: I have just noticed at City variant of Elevate theme, that it performs icon grouping for the city icon crowding.

Andrew Heard

Quote from: tommi on July 26, 2016, 20:26:45
Peter, Locus users are not part of the 80% of smartphone map users, those 80% simply use Google Maps and are happy with it.
This is my experience in more than 5 years using Locus and showing it to other people who are surprised what I can do with this smartphone app with the strange name (meaning of Locus in German).
But almost all of them stick with Google Maps though I show them that it misses a lot of outdoor information compared to Vector maps in Locus, route planning with brouter, ...
Locus is and should stay a Swiss Army Knife, only then it is useful in the wild.
+1
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

voldapet

Hello Guys,

thank you for comments.  I don't want split the users into group 20% skilled and 80% beginners that's nonsense. More over we can not say that Locus users are some geeks are super cartographers. I don't think that there are 300 000 hiking-carto-maniacs in Germany :). Assumption that Locus users are almost some skilled freaks is quite odd. BUT It doesn't matter how experienced the Locus users are, we should offer better UI/design for everyone. And this is my fight ... fight for couple checkboxes that completely change the usage of Locus app. I'm kidding but you've already say it: make it simple but offer more possibilities for enthusiast. You can use different map, different themes, there are no limits.

More options more pain - see this myth http://uxmyths.com/post/712569752/myth-more-choices-and-features-result-in-higher-satisfac

Maybe I'm completely wrong. Give us some time to collect stats how Locus users use themes and option. That give us better view.
  •  

balloni55

question to "Track preview"
- after i click on "Track preview" > preview open :)
at this moment  this preview.jpg file is stored in locus/Export :o why? can´t see the benefit :-[ and folder content grow unobserved
if user want to store this "preview file" he can share it via file browser to folder destination he want.
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Menion

Good day balloni,
well I need to store file somewhere before display. So without longer thinking I've considered this as "export" and result was "export" directory.

But you are correct that in most cases, you do not need to handle with this file directly. So if there is no one against it, I'll change it to some temporary directory in cache, where file will be automatically deleted later. Thanks
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: menion on July 29, 2016, 15:05:36
Good day balloni,
well I need to store file somewhere before display. So without longer thinking I've considered this as "export" and result was "export" directory.

But you are correct that in most cases, you do not need to handle with this file directly. So if there is no one against it, I'll change it to some temporary directory in cache, where file will be automatically deleted later. Thanks
This reminds of something I wanted to ask for a long time: Why are the images created by "Share screen" also saved in data/media/screenshot? Sharing means I do something with them, so if I want to save them, I can do that. But like this, I regularly have to clean the data/media directory, which apart from that doesn't contain any temporary data.
I know that you have to create the file first before it can be shared, but don't you agree that it makes more sense to do that in a cache dir, too?
  •  

Menion

Hmm good point. Btw. surprised that someone still use this feature :). I'm united system with new "Track preview", so exported images will be stored in locus/cache/export (which is from time to time cleared) and also before "share" will be visible small screenshot "preview" dialog. Thanks
  •  

slarti76

Quote from: menion on August 02, 2016, 10:56:46
Hmm good point. Btw. surprised that someone still use this feature :).
Please don't think about removing it! :)
It's perfect for making overviews - for example, I made a great overview with all tracks from my Japan trip. You first select just the tracks and points you need, lock the right zoom and then export the screen - voilà! Perfect e.g. for photobooks. I would even like to see it extended with an option to choose the resolution. Actual screen resolution is ok for me, as I have HD phone, but higher is even better. But I understand if the feature is not used very often, it's too much effort.
Anyway, don't remove it...
  •  

Menion

Hehe, don't worry, it's not planned for now ;). When You use it for this case, don't forget to try new similar feature optimized just for tracks .. tap on track, bottom "share" button > track preview.
  •  

Bucky Kid

Hello
did I overlook something? I don't find in current version the top panel button counter, ie. it can't be changed.
Looking up in Settings > Maps > Panels & Buttons > Set function panels
  •  

Menion

Hi Kid, did You tried simply drag buttons from "right" part to "top" part? ;)
  •  

Bucky Kid

•