Categories for tracks just as for points

Started by svartbjorn, April 20, 2011, 08:56:10

svartbjorn

Points are organized in categories, which is very convenient. It would be just as convenient to have tracks organized in categories.
  •  

Menion

this topic was discussed here a lot of times before I think. To be true, I actually do not want to change this. Actual system seems for me pretty useful. You always not have in phone so much tracks as points. You can also set types to tracks and use filter on them. Also, why to have older tracks in app? Isn't better to export them out of app and keep then in computer? Also when some support for web services that store track come, will this be still useful (categories for tracks)? I don't think so. What about others? I vote for actual system ;) (and hope that others too because I'm little bit lazy in this case)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

anon1

Consider the following use case. I downloaded tracks for many hikes I want to do, but they are in different national parks (each with its own map). When I go to any one park, I would like to see only the hikes for that park. I can "select all tracks" and then go to the park map: this will show all hikes on that map, but it seems to slow down Locus a lot. I can attach the park name to the beginning of each track's name so that they all are listed together in the track list, but the track names tend to get clipped. If I could add my own track types, I could have one type/category for each park, and filter by this.

At present, I have just mentally assigned existing track-type names to certain parks ("Exported" is "Yosemite", and so on). It works, but it could be nicer.
  •  

berkley

I personally record about 10 tracks per day and i have zero points...

But i come clear with actual versions. But... If there would be a change to tracks, i'd like to see the possibilty to do "tags" for each track.
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

golgot

+1 for me.

I'd like at least the hability to add my custom tracks categories... Up to know, I do some intellectual translation, like Plane = Motorbike... :)
  •  

Menion

Plane is almost same as Motorbike, isn't it? :) Hmm looks you really want categories for tracks. Isn't here someone who saves me? It so much work on system that already works fine ... hmm :/
  •  

golgot

For me it's not really a problem, I also use navigation item for kayaking.... :) And I don't plan to buy a plane yet.... :)

It's just when I show all features of Locus to my friend, that everybody say ("why did set plane for that????")

And sure that motorbiking is the same as plane. I'm already able to take off, fly and crash (landing is not so easy!)   :evil:  :twisted:
  •  

marlar

Categories for tracks would be very convenient. +1. Sorry Menion :-)
  •  

Menion

Sorry guys, no. I have other privilegies to do and don't see good reason for this. Anyway added to my todo list, so maybe later. About creting custom track types - i'll think about it
  •  

marlar

No problem. It is by no means critical.
  •  

elmuSSo

I would really like to see the Train category:) I really use them often.
  •  

rijackson741

I would like to add my vote for this too, and I have attached an example of why. I was thinking about tracks as trail maps, and the attached file is a very small example I created to test the idea. The tracks were recorded in Locus, and then edited and assembled into the attached kml file in Google Earth. You can view it in Google Earth. Why would I want such a trail map? It can be overlaid (in principle, in practice not at the moment in Locus of course) on any map, either offline or online, and you can guide on the trails. It is also much less work to create a trail map this way than it would be to draw them all on satellite images or topo maps, etc. I can't import this into Locus in any useful form though, because when I try I get 9 separate tracks created. That is not really very manageable, and this is just a small test example. A more realistic example (such as a set of Yosemite trails created by cooperation between several people) could easily have a hundred sections.

But Menion, in an earlier thread you mentioned that you had an idea for a "Trip" (//http://forum.asamm.cz/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=645&p=3466&hilit=+trip+which+will+#p3466) in addition to tracks and points, which would be a collection of a track and POIs. Could such a concept not be extended to a more general idea of "collections", which could be trips or trail maps as above, or something else? Actually, then I could include POIs in the above trail map file too  :D
  •  

rijackson741

Quote from: "rijackson741"I was thinking about tracks as trail maps, and the attached file is a very small example I created to test the idea. The tracks were recorded in Locus, and then edited and assembled into the attached kml file in Google Earth. You can view it in Google Earth. Why would I want such a trail map? It can be overlaid (in principle, in practice not at the moment in Locus of course) on any map, either offline or online, and you can guide on the trails. It is also much less work to create a trail map this way than it would be to draw them all on satellite images or topo maps, etc.

This now works with the new Map Items import  :mrgreen: It imports all the tracks (without putting them in the tracks database, which is exactly what is wanted in this case!) and displays them with their names, etc, and I can guide on them (at least, it says I can; I have not actually tried it yet). There is one small bug though. If I go back to the Map Items manager, it does not show it as a loaded map item, so I can't turn the tracks off except by exiting Locus  :(
  •  

Menion

hehe ... map item manager (and also mapItems directory) are created mainly for kmz files then contain GroundOverlay tag ... but looks like I'll have to extend it :) .. anyway try "Remove temp map items" if this also remove displayed tracks, it should work ..
  •  

rijackson741

Quote from: "menion"try "Remove temp map items" if this also remove displayed tracks, it should work ..

Thanks for the tip. That works  :)

Edit: And I only just noticed the other thread on the same topic!
  •