Using cached maps

Started by jusc, April 20, 2011, 08:34:01

jusc

(Maybe there is already a description or guide for this)
Is it possible to use or store cached online maps later?

For example:
You drive from A to B with an online map, let us say with zoom level 20. Later you drive back but with zoom level 21.
Next day you go from A to C with the same online map.

Is it possible to add new cached map tiles and store them together to your own map for offline use and if so, how?

Thanks J.
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

if you look on any map, it's automatically cached for offline use. You can also "precache" some map into online map storage (it's "shared mode" for download). Is this answer for you?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

jusc

not completly.
I think about this: If I ride a few days in an area using and caching  online maps. Can I store the collected map tiles p. e. at the end of day/week to "mymap".sqllitedb and next week I load this map as offline map, but add new (online) tiles if offline tiles are not stored yet, than I store the map again, so that the map will grow? Next time "mymap" can be used at start  as offline map and so on..

J.
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

I do not understand perfectly your system. And why you don't leave online maps (full of cached tiles) as is. So in mapsOnline directly. You will then use all cached tiles as offline and only new tiles will download and cache ...

anyway you can at any time copy map from mapsOnline, add it into maps directory and use it as offline ...
  •  

jusc

Quote from: "menion"anyway you can at any time copy map from mapsOnline, add it into maps directory and use it as offline ...

Thats what I looked for. And oh  :o  looking in the mapsOnline folder there are over 1,5 GB. Now I have to pay for a bigger flat and to buy a larger sdcard.   :mrgreen:
First question about:
If tiles are already downloaded will they automaticly updated while using online maps or must you delete them or even whole map if you want Locus to search for newest version (OSM) of tiles?

And next question. Is it possible to merge offline and online maps, or add offline to online maps from same source or even diffrent maps?
(If you wonder about this, please have a look to OutdoorActive map. In highest zoom levels OutdoorActive uses an older topo map from national sources, at least in Germany.)
So if you like google maps p.e. you could add higher zoom levels for geocaching from OSM Mapnik etc.
I think it´s already possible with MOBAC, but I have to try it.
J.
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

if they are already downloaded, they will not download again! So no map tile refresh available actually. Maybe today task? ...

merging is not also possible. There is no reason for this. You can download any area in some map and then same area in different zooms from another provider by "External map" mode
  •