Locus addon for Pebble

Started by zigzag, May 04, 2016, 09:59:49

eldron

@zigzag
I installed the update of your locus addon app today and was surprised to see that the track distance is now working again. I thought the problem was on Menion´s side?
Anyhow, I am happy that it´s working again.
It was also great to see that you have decided to launch a pebble app that can display more information. I tried to download the app, but it says that I need the companion app and I get forwarded to the play store. The pebble store does not seem to recognize,that I already have your android app installed. Is this the reason why you stated that "This function is not working yet" or should I be able to download the pebble app? I tried re-installing the android app, but that didn´t help.

I would love to buy your app to support future development, so please launch a donation / pro version!
  •  

eldron

@zigzag
downloaded your latest version and it´s great. Customizable screens with all the information I need - just awesome.
There is just one information missing - the time. It would be great not having to go back to the watchface to see what time it is. Any chance that you could include the time as one of the options? Like that everyone could decide whether or not he/she wants to sacrifice screen space to have the time displayed.
I would still prefer to launch the pebble app myself instead of it starting automatically whenever i open locus, but that´s a minor issue.
Great work, thanks a lot. If there´ll ever be a paid version, I´ll be the first one to buy it.

•  

zigzag

Hi eldron,
The request accepted. :-)
Next version.
  •  

jusc

Hey guys,
is it possible to attach some photos, where others can see, how it looks on a Pebble?
Regards J.
  •  

gynta

eldron

@Zigzag
Now that was quick - only a few days have passed and the new version is already in the play store, incredible!
Thanks for adding the time and also the option to deactivate autostart.
  •  

blueberry63

THANKS A LOT for this fantastic app. This is exactly what I was searching for.

I have a question: would it be possible to start the Locus App and the track recording from the watch?

Regards
Blueberry63
  •  

eldron

Hi Blueberry,
I´m not aware of a possibility to launch locus from the watch, but it is possible to start the track recording from your watch, once locus is running. Just hit the "play" button and off you go.
  •  

blueberry63

OK, np. It was just an idea: duringcycling I have my smartphone in the back and I so it would be easier to start Locus and tracking  ;)

Nevertheless: thanks a lot
Blueberry63
  •  

eldron

@blueberry
Have you ever used tasker (or any other automation app)?
Together with the "Autoapp" pebble app you could create a task that can launch locus from your watch.
I use Automagic (prefer it to tasker) to launch stuff on my phone from my watch and it works just fine.
  •  

eldron

@zigzag
On my recent holiday (with a lot of hiking trips) i used your app a lot and it worked like a charm - thanks a lot once again!
Just before the holiday was over I saw that there was an update available and read that it included a navigation feature. I tried it straight away and it is just what I had been hoping for. Now I can finally use my watch to find geocaches!
I had tried all other navigation/geocaching apps available for the pebble, but they all had their problems / drawbacks. And then you came along and out all features I had been hoping for into one app :-)
Finally I can see the direction and distance of a cache, as well as the GPS accuracy and any other information I want to have displayed - without having to look at my phone.

I was also happy to see that you have now included a way to pay for your app - a donation+ purchase has just been made :-)

There is one more feature that would make the app absolutely perfect for me: If you could implement an option to make the watch vibrate when you get close to the current target point. So let´s say when I´m 50 meters away from the cache (or any other POI) the watch vibrates (ideally with a customizable vibration pattern).

And if you are interested in general feedback, there are a couple more things that I would see as an improvement:
1) I have set the app to sync the data every 15 seconds. But for navigation to a POI this makes no sense. I guess that´s why you implemented the option to press any button and get real time info for 20 seconds - a great solution. But for geocaching those 20 seconds are often too short. Any chance to have that timespan customizable or maybe to have an option that would activate the "real data" as longs as a point guidance is active?
I tried setting the refresh rate to 1 second in the options, but that does drain the battery rather quickly.
2) I have set the app to notify me when the GPS signal is very bad - another great feature. But when using it in towns it keeps notifying you whenever you enter or leave a building. That´s fine, but the GPS bad / GPS ok message stays until i press a button. An option to auto hide that message after let´s say 10 seconds would be great.
  •  

eldron

@Zigzag
Thanks ever so much for adding the Poi alert feature! Can´t wait to try it out on my next geocaching trip :-)
You have even changed the GPS accuracy alert system - awesome!
I also saw that you can now modify the refresh rate with a long button press, but couldn´t figure out how it´s supposed to work...?
A long press didn´t seem to be any different to a short press (tried all buttons) - after 20 seconds the sync stopped.

Thanks once again for creating such a useful Locus addon for the pebble watch.
P.s. Have you tried your app with the new pebble firmware 4.01? Because I won´t upgrade if there are any issues. On the pebble forum there is one thread about compass issues with the new firmware.
  •  

zigzag

@eldron

First, it is not POI alert, it is only target point alert, so only that target ponit can vibrate what you have chosen as guidance.

Refresh rate: press long one of right button for 1 sec, and you can see that the up button icon is a refresh picture. Now press the up button once or more and the refresh rate changed. 1 -> 15 -> 30 -> 60 -> 1 ...

I have Pebble classic, and there is no new firmware for it. But I think, this is a simple app with few feature, so it works with all watch. The new calculated compass function is always accurate when you are moving. (The 12 oclock is the forward direction.)
  •  

eldron

Quote from: zigzag on September 12, 2016, 22:09:28
Refresh rate: press long one of right button for 1 sec, and you can see that the up button icon is a refresh picture. Now press the up button once or more and the refresh rate changed. 1 -> 15 -> 30 -> 60 -> 1 ...
Thanks for the explanation. I have tried long pressing all of the buttons, but the up button symbol never changes, it always shows the up-arrow. I tested all sorts of combinations and long click durations, but to no success. I´m either not getting it right or it doesn´t work with the pebble time.

Quote from: zigzag on September 12, 2016, 22:09:28
I have Pebble classic, and there is no new firmware for it. But I think, this is a simple app with few feature, so it works with all watch. The new calculated compass function is always accurate when you are moving. (The 12 oclock is the forward direction.)
I´ll wait with the update until the compass bug in the 4.0 firmware has been fixed and then I´ll report back if everything in your app works or not.
  •  

zigzag

QuoteThanks for the explanation. I have tried long pressing all of the buttons, but the up button symbol never changes, it always shows the up-arrow. I tested all sorts of combinations and long click durations, but to no success. I´m either not getting it right or it doesn´t work with the pebble time.

Then your watchapp has not refreshed to v1.2. Delete and add it again.
  •