Looking for an high resolution smartphone

Started by jusc, March 13, 2016, 15:45:17

jusc

Can anybody recommend a "cheap"  high resolution smartphone with more than 500ppi?
It should be mostly used for theme developing, Battery lifetime, GPS quality is not so important.

Thank you in advance.

Regards J.
  •  

Menion

Hello jusc,

just asking : isn't enough for creating a themes, using some kind of emulator? Michal a few weeks ago wrote a nice post about it (not about creating a themes, but about using Locus on emu) : http://www.locusmap.eu/how-to-use-locus-map-on-a-pc/ . Maybe you find it useful and spare a few bucks.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

john_percy

My experience is that an emulator is fine for trying things out, but it cannot emulate different dpi resolutions at all successfully.
I know it "can" but either the physical size of the display window or the sharpness of the display has to be different from what you are emulating, and so what you see is not what you get.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

jusc

Thank you both,

for a short time I can use a S7 edge and I'm surprised how different per example my theme looks to my Note 2 with the S7.
So, it seems to be necessary to have themes with different resolutions as already offered by Tobias at Openandromaps.
I can surely try to use an emulator, but I fear it isn't the same as to test it with a real smartphone, as John wrote.
I found a solution for it with a script, that can increase the symbols, stroke-width and letter size and using MTP copy a short test with different smartphones doesn't take much time. But because a S7 is very expensive, I'm looking for a cheaper solution.  :D
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

Understand.

In this case, best possible ... well better most cheep solution should be using Android ADB emulator available directly in Android SDK library. It's made for developers, but it allows really simulate various resolutions and device parameters. More about it is here: http://developer.android.com/tools/devices/emulator.html . I personally use it really rarely, but it may simulate everything you will need.

Anyway I'm surprised that it's not possible to write single theme that will looks fine on all devices. Hmm, surprising. Mainly because even our internal themes (all of them) has just one config file. Truth is, that I didn't saw them on S7 device (or similar hi-res).
  •  

SwissPoPo

Quote from: menion on March 13, 2016, 20:27:07
Anyway I'm surprised that it's not possible to write single theme that will looks fine on all devices. Hmm, surprising. Mainly because even our internal themes (all of them) has just one config file. Truth is, that I didn't saw them on S7 device (or similar hi-res).

What? You are surprised? Please correct your map engine to respect the scale factor of the different devices, then you only need a single theme.
Many times I have tried to explain this issue. It seems without success.

To see it you need a hardware device. An emulator is useless.
  •  

Viajero Perdido

Have you looked at how John Percy has done scaling with his Voluntary UK theme?  I think it's his use of "dp" everywhere that is the secret ingredient, but he can explain better.

That's the only theme I've found that displays readably on my high-res screen (without resorting to a brute-force 2x magnification), and as you zoom into the highest zoom levels, it nicely magnifies things even more for extra readability.  As you might expect.
  •  

Menion

Quote from: SwissPoPo on March 13, 2016, 21:04:04
What? You are surprised? Please correct your map engine to respect the scale factor of the different devices, then you only need a single theme.
Many times I have tried to explain this issue. It seems without success.

To see it you need a hardware device. An emulator is useless.

Yes, I'm surprised. Twice. Second time,I'm surprised that I should not be suprised :). Please point me on your post together with small sample theme and ideally screenshot how it should look like and I'll check if in Locus rendering ending is any problem with current themes. I'm also surprised because as I wrote - all Locus themes (five various themes) are all based on single file.

@Viajero Perdido: what about internal themes? They also have some problems on hi-res devices?
  •  

SwissPoPo

Here: http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=4705.0

With a theme you can scale some elements of the map (icons, texts, lines), but you can scale areas (= the map itself).
For identical maps on different devices, ALL map elements must scale the same way.
  •  

Viajero Perdido

Quote from: menion on March 13, 2016, 21:09:26@Viajero Perdido: what about internal themes? They also have some problems on hi-res devices?
I haven't looked at them for a while, but now I see that the internal themes do indeed scale nicely, much like Voluntary UK.  But I do find features just a bit small for my liking at the various zoom levels (on my Nexus 5, which is 445dpi I think) with the internal themes; I would need glasses to read street names etc.

Ignore my previous post; I don't think I know what I'm talking about.   :P
  •  

jusc

Nice discussion.  ;D
I´m still looking for a cheaper phone. Or is the discussion about vector maps on high resolution phones at least at this time obsolet?
Regards J.
  •  

jackyikone

I would suggest you to use Samsung Galaxy note 4. I was personally using it. It has some issues like its cpu overheats, battery time little less but its resolution is good. and other problems are not that problematic. It would be in reasonable price.
  •