LoMaps, offline addresses

Started by voldapet, March 08, 2016, 12:07:50

Andrew Heard

Quote from: voldapet on May 18, 2016, 21:56:57
However you can send me some mistakes and I'll check them.
I think for now it's OK for me. You have done a fantastic job. In fact for me the Offline Address Search + BRouter GPX waypoints are best new features in last year. Thanks.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

michaelbechtold

I agree 100% on those 2 topics!

Gesendet von meinem LG-H850 mit Tapatalk

•  

gynta

Hello Petr
We talk about "house number sorting" in march 2016. do you remember?
I think alphabetical sorting arrays will be work. Let's try
Currently we have a wild mixed list.

voldapet

@gynta
Thanks, I've already noticed it and want to discuss it with menion today. Sorting of house num is performed  in application.
  •  

eldron

Just like Michaelbechtold I would really appreciate the possibility to just download the address database without the map. I am more than willing to pay for this, but I don´t see why I should download a few GB of map data to when all I want is the POI/address database.
Let´s say I am abroad and limited to a low bandwith allowance or a super slow Wifi and want to download the address database, it would be a real hassle to have to download the whole map as well.
If you don´t want to separate the database purchase from the map purchase - maybe you could make the database downloadable separately within in Locus Store once one has purchased the map?

EDIT:
I was just wondering, if I use a vector map for the whole of Germany (openandromaps), but I can only get the database for south and north - how could I use both databases at the same time with just one map of Germany? I obivously can´t rename both database files to match the map name.
  •  

Menion

Quote from: gynta on May 19, 2016, 19:32:15
Hello Petr
Currently we have a wild mixed list.

done
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download

michaelbechtold

Quote from: eldron on May 20, 2016, 11:57:26
Just like Michaelbechtold I would really appreciate the possibility to just download the address database without the map. I am more than willing to pay for this, but I don´t see why I should download a few GB of map data to when all I want is the POI/address database.
Let´s say I am abroad and limited to a low bandwith allowance or a super slow Wifi and want to download the address database, it would be a real hassle to have to download the whole map as well.
If you don´t want to separate the database purchase from the map purchase - maybe you could make the database downloadable separately within in Locus Store once one has purchased the map?

EDIT:
I was just wondering, if I use a vector map for the whole of Germany (openandromaps), but I can only get the database for south and north - how could I use both databases at the same time with just one map of Germany? I obivously can´t rename both database files to match the map name.
You can take a map from Tuvalu or alike, 10 kB or so, and copy/rename it to the missing part. Then Locus will offer you the POI in the selection list. Of course no match geo wise ;-)

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

•  

gynta

Quote from: menion on May 20, 2016, 13:07:57
done
looks good in v3.17.0.2

Andrew Heard

Quote from: gynta on May 20, 2016, 19:48:10
Quote from: menion on May 20, 2016, 13:07:57
done
looks good in v3.17.0.2
+1 very nice
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

voldapet

@michaelbechtold  @eldron and separated offline address DB
I can understand you. I would also appreciate separated DB but this is only my personal point of view  and I don't like it from global point of view. 90 percent user (definitely more) do not know anything about POI db or Adress DB. For them is everything only MAP. Whole system about LoMaps is complicated (upadte, versions, themes) now and I don't want to make it worse with separated DB. ...I'm sorry but I have different opinion.
  •  

michaelbechtold

You have support for different levels of experience in more than one spot in Locus since years. So there is no place to hide behind your argument. People who understand use it,  people who don't, won't. And when it comes to cost, you will see people are even able to learn :-)

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

•  

voldapet

You're right and menion would tell how many hours we spent arguing about number of features, settings, features that use absolutely minimal num of users, features for geeks, etc.. I have different attitude to lots of things then menion. But  we have the same opinion that LoMaps should be one package, one map package that contain everything what digital map should contain. I would even set that Locus would automatically download needed altitude data (hgt files) that covers downloaded LoMaps. 
  •  

michaelbechtold

Quote from: voldapet on May 24, 2016, 08:49:46
You're right and menion would tell how many hours we spent arguing about number of features, settings, features that use absolutely minimal num of users, features for geeks, etc.. I have different attitude to lots of things then menion. But  we have the same opinion that LoMaps should be one package, one map package that contain everything what digital map should contain. I would even set that Locus would automatically download needed altitude data (hgt files) that covers downloaded LoMaps.
Well, forcing people to pay for stuff they do not need to get stuff that they cannot get in another way is an ethical question! And has nothing to do with geek versus mainstream.

Gesendet von meinem LG-H850 mit Tapatalk

•  

eldron

@ Voldapet
thanks for your explanation. I can understand your point of view and I totally agree with you, that a lot of the features discussed on this forum are only interesting to a very small percentage of Locus users. But I would also guess that although some locus features are only interesting to some users, it´s often those users who are willing to pay for the Pro Version and for those extra features in the Locus store.
I do respect you decision, but is it really that much effort to offer the POI database seperately in the Locus Store? I am guessing that you have to create the POI database separately anyway, before merging it with the map file.
Normal users could still just download the All-in-One map package. But for me (and surely a lot of others who use openandromaps or other maps) it means that I need to download several GB of data that I don´t need (using up bandwith and also storage space on my phone). Let´s say I want to have POI data for Germany, France, Spain and England - that would be almost 5GB of Map data that I don´t need.
As stated before - I am more than willing to pay or this data. Even the same as for the whole map package - I just don´t need the maps. 
  •