Map sources removed from Locus - a disaster!

Started by svartbjorn, April 15, 2011, 13:13:34

Menion

I also agree. Osm maps are cached, but are regenerated once a time I think (maybe once per 7 days?) ..

Terms of use for google maps say: Use our maps. They are free for you, but you can use them only through our API on website. There is no chance to use them outside web site. I wrote question on google here so anyone can refresh my question to give it more priority. Also downloading of OSM maps is allowed but only two threads at one time, no more. Also reduction of mass download is suggested.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

berkley

Hey Folks,

forget about all the worries. Upgrade to 1.5.2 and read this: http://bit.ly/ffiDRm

Cheers, berkley
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

marlar

Berkley, it works as a charm :-)
  •  

berkley

I know :P

Please push the thread on XDA. Please put it on the comments on the markets. Please spread the good news to the rest of the world. Please support Menion.
It's up to users like you and me to let Locus live. Comparable apps don't care about the violation of terms of usage from map providers. I really don't wanna know why. Menion's reaction is comprehensible. I understand it!
But we all have to count with negative comments on markets. This means less users are going to install (or buy) Locus. This means less income for Menion. And this means less improvements on Locus. And I really don't have to explain what that means...
 :ugeek:
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

royrose

Berkely,

Thanks so much. Your method works great. Like you, I love this app. I tried a bunch of others and none worked as well for me as Locus does.
  •  

marlar

Berkley, maybe it is even possible to make a simple App that does the same? Maybe not all users are confident with managing files on Android.
  •  

dzid_

Yeah - Locus Unlocker
:)
  •  

femto

Hi berkeley,

thanks a lot for the fine file!

I'll owe you a beer or two! ;)
  •  

berkley

I'm definatly coming back to the beers sometime :D

I know it would be a nice thing, if there was an app that makes the copy and paste. But every developer who makes this app, would get affected by the same problem why Menion removed the online maps...

And for everybody who says thanks to me... I'm gratefully doing this job. That's just a minimum of thankfulness. This app is nothing than great and i'm really interested what features are coming next.
So... don't say thanks to me! Say thanks to Menion!!!
Search before posting!!!
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

too much thanks on one person so stop with this :). I'm not wondering that many apps on market use illegal map content. Without distributing payed locus, this should work also for a while. I'm just wondering that there are some apps that are PAYED and use illegal content as well, like maverick and some others. Hmm nevermind. Enjoy map adding and Locus itself. I have still some plans with it and still taste to work on improvements so stay tuned. And Berkley ... you have my biggest thanks for your invested time in days where you have almost no free time. Good luck on field! ;)
  •  

berkley

OK now... everybody said thanks to each other. :P
Search before posting!!!
OnePlus X
  •  

tipichris

Hi Berkley

Any clues how to add the maps that aren't in your providers.xml file? The one I really used a lot is missing, and their URLs don't use {x} and {y}, but some other thing I mentioned at viewtopic.php?f=21&t=45#p2458
  •  

Menion

improved version is supported now, also for quadkeys. I can create also some support for another types if anyone wants and give me some specification ...
  •  

Anyone with interest in and reverse-engineering skills to produce the XML lines for Eniro maps?
  •  

Menion

eniro maps are pretty simple for 1.6.0 Locus version ;)

anyway I'm goding to be little angry. I wrote to around ten of map providers (some of them twice) and only one response (which? surprise for later). Grr .. I also wrote to Sygic developers to allow global call and starting navigation on defined coordinates (from Locus for example ;) ) and also no response. Are all guys on support mails sleeping or what? Hard work ...
  •