Map sources removed from Locus - a disaster!

Started by svartbjorn, April 15, 2011, 13:13:34

svartbjorn

I understand Menion was forced by the map source providers to remove certain map sources from Locus, and that this is the reason behind the new release 1.5.2.
==>  But this is a disaster for Locus! What is left of map sources? Nothing - only OSM!

Is this going to be the future too? Aren't there any solutions to this? This is really, bad, bad news.
  •  

Menion

I know, but I don't think this is end to Locus, at least I hope this is not the end.

OSM are pretty good for normal usage. Also there is chance to add own maps sources to Locus. And finally, there is chance to contact map provider to allow displaying their maps in Locus (it's up to users).
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

regisstg

It should have been stated in the 1.5.2 update. I would never have updated.
  •  

regisstg

OSM does not even have secondary roads (at least in Canada, province of Quebec)
  •  

coolaun

I found locus free 1.5.1 here: http://handheld.softpedia.com/progDownl ... 12633.html

Now I have both the pro and the free version on my phone. I'll keep the pro version upgraded, but leave the free one at 1.5.1 so I can still download the maps.
  •  

Menion

nice, keeping older free version is very recommended solution ;)
  •  

femto

This is really a pitty! :evil:

I've over 1GB of map data on my phone but now I can't use it together with Locus.

This is more than disappointing and user should have be informed before installing the update.
  •  

Menion

but it's written twice in description on market. On info in main text and one in update text!
  •  

femto

Quote from: "menion"but it's written twice in description on market. On info in main text and one in update text!

Ok, but what about such idiots like me which have enabled automatic update??? :(
  •  

Betonar

Offline maps works like charm....
  •  

dzid_

Can we make some sort of underground repository of map sources. It would be the best if Locus has capability to add custom map sources in some file format. Officially it would be a feature for those who, let's say, has at home own server with maps but in practice we know..   ;-)  
The responsibility of downloading maps will be lying on users not developers.

It would be like making printscreens of maps and saving them with MS Paint. Paint itself doesn't violate any terms of use, right.    :)
  •  

coolaun

Quote from: "femto"
Quote from: "menion"but it's written twice in description on market. On info in main text and one in update text!

Ok, but what about such idiots like me which have enabled automatic update??? :(

If you're using the free version, just uninstall it and grab version 1.5.1 from here:
http://handheld.softpedia.com/progDownl ... 12633.html

If you're using the pro version, keep it with the upgrade but also download Locus Free from the above link. You can keep both Free and Pro on your phone, and Pro will read the maps you download using Free.
  •  

Menion

isn't here anyone experienced with law? I need to know what I can do as legal and what I can't.

For example, when I add on bottom of online map screen button "+", after click I show list of online maps and user then can click on map and add it to list. Before adding I'll just show terms of use of selected map providers and thats all. Is this wrong and also illegal? I'm lost in all this stuff. I'm just thinking how to make it easier to users add own maps. Actual method isn't much easy for basic users ...
  •  

jusc

The problem is the download or offline mode.
Everybody can use a "browser" to look at google, bing, outdooractive, osm and so on, will say using the online mode.
But if you begin to download or store a bigger aerea, that is even with Openstreetmap "not allowed", because of their server policies.
The problem is that, while downloading, tiles especially in higher zoom levels, must be rendered on the fly, because OSM is changing every day and there is no periodic tile store locating all wanted zoom levels at this moment. That means, that the Openstreetmap server are using al  lot of CPU time for rendering while user are downloading.

For example
a.
you find out for your bicycle roundtrip of 30 km within an area of 15 x 20 km, the zoom levels 12, 13, 14 (mobac) are best for your usage. So you use up to 300 tiles in online mode (worst case) while cycling, let us say in two hours.
b.
If you plan to make a tour and you are not sure what you really want, you may think offline mode is the better way for usage later on. Now you choose perhaps an area of 50 x 50 km with the zoom levels of 12 -16... You never know if these higher zoom levels could be necessary. You have to download??????  Up to 40.000 tiles  :shock:  only for your own but most without any usage . And what happens, if 10 users do it at the same time?
==> Openstreetmap is going to block massive downloads. (in mobac too)

Other maps like google are not allowed to copy. Maybe that means even to store, but in this point I´m not sure.

In my eyes, online mode is the same as sitting in front of a PC and should be allowed. For offline mode, we have to find a solution, perhaps dowload small areas and share them?

J.
Regards J.
  •  

femto

Hi jusc,

AFAIK, OpenStreetMap does cache the tiles on their map server. I've done some additions to the map and to see them immediately I had to send a special command to the map server to get my changes rendered.

IMHO, sharing will also be not allowed.
  •