POI DBs not recognized

Started by michaelbechtold, January 22, 2016, 01:35:52

michaelbechtold

From earlier times I have many POI DB files along the OAM map files in mapsvector folder. In the past Locus recognised them all,  regardless of available map files and their names.
Since a while a POI DB file is only recognized if there is a map file with the same prefix name. E.g. austria.osm.map  and austria.osm.db will show you the austria.osm POI file in the selection list. If there is only austria.map,  you will not see austria POI file. This is obstructive and not justified. POI DB should work even with online maps and not a single offline map. Pls. do not take your users hostage of the Locus vector map store.
Thank you.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

•  

Menion

Hello Michael, POI db are currently made for "LoMaps" so I do not think that this is something unexpected.

Anyway time for improvements of POI db will come, hopefully soon.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

michaelbechtold

Yes, Menion, I know that you and team are working on that.
And my observation raised alarm bells.
In the past it used to be relatively open - maps and POI DBs were independent from each other. Now they are bound to LoMaps and start to be proprietary.
Also: MapsForge, and the OAM folks are working on POI improvements, too. I am not deep enough into this subject to judge if these things will be compatible, or if the eco system will be flying apart by uncoordinated, isolated activities ...

Do these three parties (Locus, OAM and Mapsforge) talk to each other regularly ?
  •  

Menion

They get bounds because database with points + maps, will have another part ... database with addresses and they needs to work together.

And three parts your mentioned ... nope, I'm not talking to anyone, because Locus system is for a quite long time on own road.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

michaelbechtold

Lonely heroes are nice in movies, but not in SW business :-)
At least not good for users/customers ...

Your current, beta POI DBs are working with online maps as well as with other sqlite map DBs. That means they are not locked into any of the Locus vector maps. Which is great.

Except the naming convention. Which is unneccesary - to say the least.

You do have all the mechanics to know which maps are "near" - just apply the same logic to the POI DBs - independently from the vector maps. I.e. the POI DB has to have its own "bounderies" included, which is trivial to achieve when generating the POI DB.

And as a corollary the POI DBs need to have their own download mechanics, i.e. paying for POI DBs only if you are using other maps.

•  

michaelbechtold

PS: or to support the upcoming POI DB mechanics that mapsforge is building.
I do not know details, but have seen a specific web directory with some files that point in this direction.

http://download.mapsforge.org/maps/multilingualpoi/

But that beast is not reachable any more.
  •