Map orientation by compass - missing the quick on/off

Started by svartbjorn, April 14, 2011, 21:48:02

svartbjorn

Some versions back the satellite screen had two command buttons at the bottom: "GPS on/off" and "Compass". Why did Compass disappear? That was a quick way to turn on/off map rotation by compass. Now I have to tap myself though Menu/Settings/Sensors/"Use hardware compass" and check/uncheck that box and back to map view. That is 5 steps.

Suggestion: The Rotate button at the bottom menu today has two sub menu commands: "Rotate map" and "Show view".
Could this be changed to the following 4 commands:

- "North up"
   - "Bearing up"
   - "Rotate by compass"
   - "Show view"
  •  

Menion

this button was removed because by few emails and responses, this was more confusing for users that useful. Almost no one know that enabled compass allow rotation by hardware compass and disable by bearing from GPS. Menu in settings is clear enough. I'm not sure if your solution is more clear that button before :).
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

svartbjorn

Ok.
"North up" and "Bearing up" are terms used in all car navigation programs, so they should be common terms at least.
I can live with the settings menu. Just an idea.
  •  

golgot

Another idea, maybe much more complicated, the possibility to set something like : below xxx km/h use compas, above, use bearing... For me it will be perfect (I always switch during biking because I prefer bearing in movement and compas when I'm completely lost, looking for my track) :)

Svarbjors, What difference you make between
"North up"
"Bearing up?"
  •  

svartbjorn

- "North up": map north aligned with top of you phone ("up")
- "Bearing up": you bearing/heading aligned with top of your phone. Some systems use the term "Track up".

I do not think it is a good idea to have limits for automatic switching between the different modes. I have never seen that before, and have problems seeing the usefulness of the map suddenly switching to a different orientation mode. It will be only confusing, since you don't know what the current mode is without really studying the map's behavious. With the menu and commands I suggested, it would have been very quick to change mode and you would know the actual mode.
  •  

golgot

Hmmm, I made a mistake (copy paste error):
The question I wanted to post was : What different do you make between
 "Rotate by compass" and
 "Show view"

But now, I've opened Locus and now I see what does "show view" mean ! :) :)

Concerning automatic switching, The use is very simple : at 0 Km/h, bearing can not work (it's just impossible since bearing come from delta in GPS localisation) but compas is working great. During movement, Both should give the same orientation, but when I'm biking, I can assure you that bearing if far more stable and precise than compas. So I think it make sense to switch between compas and bearing...  The switch must only be between "Bearing up" and "Rotate by compass" of course. Is it clear? Am I stupid?
  •  

Tusor

I miss this option, too. I was using the GPS bearing in Car because the rotation by compass was not correct (I mostly was driving 45° in the screen ;) ). But while geocaching the rotation by compass was quite useful. As svartbjorn suggested I would appreciate the possibility to switch directly with the rotation button. My suggestions for the naming:
- north up
- rotate by compass
- rotate by gps bearing
- show view
Does anyone actually use the last one?
And for all the people not knowing what this means: Maybe a good manual could help ;) I think that is one of the biggest drawbacks of Locus: It has a lot of really good features, but you do not know how to use them. I am still fiddling around with the AR plugin, but that is a different story.

@golgot: You use your phone while biking? I would like to do that, too. Do you have a recommendation for fixing the phone to the bike?
  •  

Menion

guys this is good idea I have to say but it have one problem. It's that rotation by compass or bearing is also used on Compass screen, and maybe will be a later too somewhere else. So rotate by this or that is a global variable for whole locus. Alternative is also to keep current settings in settings (maybe not) and also give back old button on GPS screen but with some better description. What you think?
  •  

Tusor

I would go for the menu in the rotation button because it is the fastest way to switch between the possibilities. And as I see from golgots post I'm not the only one who would need such a quick switching.
Maybe the button for switching would be placed well directly on the compass screen (maybe with direct connection to the setting in the settings?)
  •  

svartbjorn

I keep my suggestion of putting this into the rotation button on the main screen, because this is where you make the descission to change the mode. Also, there is a nice posibility to show the chosen mode by changing the rotation symbol. Today this is an arrow symbol in the middle with two curved arrows around it. What about:
- "North up": a big "N" in the symbol with an arrow pointing up
- "Rotate by bearing": a track symbol with an arrow pointing up
- "Rotate by compass": a compass symbol with the two curved arrow around it (like the two arrows today)
- "Show view": an eye with the two curved arrow around it (like the two arrows today)

Maybe this isn't easy to implement? Just an idea.
  •  

Tusor

hand up for this idea
  •  

Menion

svartbjorn and tusor, it's not a big problem to do this I think, but problem is as I said before, that rotation is needed also for compass screen and I'll use it later on some more also. So one central switch is by me better. Switch on gps screen was by me fine, but it wasn't clear enough for many people. So when there will be any other description on button, I should put it back into gps screen. What you think? Also your "north up" means like no rotation? Do not forget that when you rotate by hand, symbol also change to green backgrounded arrow to notice that map is rotated by hand
  •  

svartbjorn

- Menion, if you prefer to put it in the GPS screen, that's fine too. I just thought the other solution was better from a user point of view. May be you just could include the description that today is in the Settings/Sensors/"Use hardware compass".
- "North up" = no rotation. Correct (just as this is used in car navigators)
- Question: who wants this rotation by hand feature? I have looked at this, but can't think of why I would ever want to do that. The phone is never fixed to something that doesn't move or turn, so why rotate maps by hand?
  •  

golgot

Hands up for me too. No problem for me if change is made also for compass (if I can change there and if actual mode is clearly explained)

Concerning bike holder, I've buy it on eBay (pm me if you want the model). It's only for desire z but I'm sure you can find one for other models . I always add :
 - a silicone protection (fortunately the bike holder is designed for use with such a protection)
 - a waterproof plastic bag in case of rain (you can still use touch screen)
 - a cable tie, to avoid the phone jump.
  •  

Menion

hi guys. I added compass button back on gps screen finally. After long thinking, it seems best solution for me. After click, small toast dialog show for a while with same text as in settings, so everyone will see what it do. I'll release testing version during next few days, so you can test it. You'll see (if you do know this solution from older version), if this fits your needs ...
  •