please help converting...

Started by Alexander Hrncir, December 20, 2015, 22:10:17

Alexander Hrncir

Hi

I know this is maybe the wrong place, but I tried today the whole day to get osmosis started, but its simple not possible on windows 10.. one error occurred after another...

I would really like to use the OSM map offline in Locus, without downloading tiles for weeks and months, because of the damn limit by OSM....

I know there are many pros in this forum and I am requesting your aid in this matter, converting me the austrian map from .pbf to .map and make it possible for me to share it (Dropbox or whatever). I would be very thankful

http://download.geofabrik.de/europe/austria-latest.osm.pbf

regards

Thank you
  •  

gynta

QuoteI know this is maybe the wrong place...
yep & moved.

What's wrong with Locus Store vector maps or Openandro maps?

Alexander Hrncir

nothing, I bought the maps for Austria... except outdooractive of course

Map1eu: I use this map for hiking, when I need to know the routes and colours of hiking paths. But its not very harmonious and not very detailed (dont zoom in too much...)

LoMap: Its good, because its a vector map, dont uses much space and outside of towns, I like it. But the colours of big streets are too strong, esp. in town you can see it, the train line is ugy and you cant turn off POIs.. those were sucking on performance and 95% of time, I dont need and want to know, where a a church, a hospital, etc. is. The colours of hiking paths are many times just wrong.

outdooractive: simply to expensive, but doesnt convince me with design neither

OSM is simply more harmonious. I like the appearance of the foot patchs, the colours of streets arent too strong and still you know where those streets are... its more filigreed overall (like train lines), thou I miss terrain lines, for which I switch to mapsforge (LoMap)

And now since MapQuest changed their policy, the Locus function of downloading map tiles is simply useless, except basemap.at for satellite photos. 10.000 tiles for OSM are too less and as far as I understand OSM isnt a drawn map (so a vector map?), downloading a lot of pictures is quite stupid. But doesnt matter, you cant download OSM Classic at all.

Its alot a question of taste and since locus cant use pbf, I am sticked to mapsforge or have to hope, that internet is available and fast enough. It's unsatisfying overall.
  •  

gynta

Alexander Hrncir

I will test it on evening, if I like the one of openandro

As I said, its really much of a choice of taste, but thats me, I like beautiful maps with no strong colours which jump in your face.

If I like it, will keep on moving making more tutorials about Locus on youtube (thou I am new to this and need more practice and experience) and spread Locus in german geocaching community. Atm I am a little bit demotivated to make more videos and I will wait some time of developing and start sharing them, till I am satisfied with the tool (I have to test few things, which should be already in the tool or fixed, but I am satisfied for me, but that doesnt mean, its simply to convince others, many things are following [and thats good, but some changes will make the videos look old and accurate anymore and I have to do new one], which will make locus perfect) and also I have to work on my performance (of talking in videos =) ).
  •  

Menion

Understand. Anyway Alexander, I think that converting OSM data into maps is completely waste of time here. It generally does not matter from where you have your map file - what make difference here, is map theme you will use. So if you want less colored maps, download one vector maps, download themes for these maps and modify them to your needs. You will find a lot of information how to modify themes here on forum, or better directly on pages of MapsForge library. Good luck.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Alexander Hrncir

Thats a little bit what I meant. I read many topics in the last time, to be really known with the tool and the more I know it, the more it got difficult to me, telling other people of Locus.

One the one side, especially for geocachers: The geocaching tools (g4l, fieldnotes, etc.) itself work well and thou there are many things to prepare your Locus, to get started, in the end it makes your life easier.

But in the last time I read things from users who were asking about stuff, I really dont understand (like moding, and so on) and I am not dumb, just unused to this stuff. I was asking myself: Do I want to introduce myself with these things? I answered myself: I want to keep myself a simply user, because most of users are or will be too.

And most of the geocachers will be satisfied with whats inside of Locus and those who are more into moding and stuff, already did it when using other apps or devices and just have to do it now with Locus.

But there are also things, I will wait for.. like POIs on LoMaps.. even me as a simply user recognize, that these points arent part of the actual map... like extra database or a layer over the map. I dont understand, why I have to stick with this. And themes.. I dont know, could be easier too? I am really unused to it.

Doesnt matter, I will keep on researching and trying and finding the best solution to explain all the stuff to new introduced ppl as simple and as effective, as possible.
  •  

alexanderhrncir

Offtopic: I hope you don't understand me offensive in anyway. I really like the tool and I never want to use anything else and that's why I want to support it. But when recommending, it's always little bit difficult. Many options and adjustments to get started till u can go Geocaching is confusing really new ppl much enough and to make it easier, I wanted to make videos.

Those who are already used to advanced things are quickly convinced from Locus. Those who arent, tend to keep their easy stuff like c:geo , turn on and start, downloading a map is already hard for them (thats why I prefer and recommend LoMaps). But every single step further (like: you want save maps to your SD and got android 4.4... well...) is too much.

So I am sorry if am a pain in the neck sometimes in near future and ask for advanced stuff for simple ppl. In this case I just wanted a map like the one from Geocaching.com ... or the one from OSM..  I got it on my Garmin and also friends use it and I wanted to share it, if they'd like it on Smartphone too. But it's good, this way I learn more about alternate stuff :)

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mini 2 mit Tapatalk
  •  

Alexander Hrncir

thanks, andromaps saved the day
  •  

Menion

- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •