running locus on a multicore device (advantage of multiple cpu cores)

Started by bongo, September 30, 2015, 08:56:22

bongo

when running locus (with the gsak addon) on a multicore device, how many cpu cores is locus (with gsak adddon) able to use?

i wonder which device will be the better solution for running locus

- quadcore 32 bit Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 MSM8974AC v3 (4x Qualcomm Krait 400 at 2457 MHz (galaxy S5, G900F))

- octacore 64 bit Samsung Exynos 7 Octa 7580 (4x ARM Cortex-A57 MPcore + 4x ARM Cortex-A53 MPcore at 1600 MHz (galaxy S5neo,l G903F))

thanx your your help!
  •  

Menion

Good day bongo,

I'll write here my humble experience. I never saw any huge differences between my own devices. Till few days I was still using nice device Note 2 for almost all trips (till it drop from motorbike right before car). And all was working really well, fast, fluently, no problem. And this device was 3 years old. Compare to it, my wife use Samsung Galaxy S5 and it looks same.

When I think about phone, I believe it is a lot better to think in terms of "what I want to use it for", then about it's power. Waterproof, battery, size of display, internal memory, SD card? And number of points in benchmark ... is it really interesting?

And Locus and more threads ... well. Hard to say. Map tiles should be rendered on more threads at once, but in reality ... even I do not know :)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •