Mobile 'phone backup to Windows PC

Started by silvermapper, September 20, 2015, 16:55:46

silvermapper

I have a Moto G 4G 'phone. My concern is about restoring both Locus Map data and settings in case of damage to or loss of my 'phone. I thought it might be a simple case of copying the app's internal backup files to my Windows 8 PC for safekeeping. I would be able to copy one back to the same location in a new 'phone and restore. Wrong! I receive a 'Unspecified error' message when I try to copy the files. Is there a facility to backup online or must I use a dedicated backup app to succeed where I failed? I spent much time looking at such apps and gave up.
  •  

KaHeMu

Hi silvermapper,

do you have the same Google account on both devices? I did same procedure between phone and tablet often with good success but without any WinPC.

Regards,
KaHeMu
Zufall ist, wenn das Schicksal eine Maske aufsetzt, um nicht erkannt zu werden.  (Wepper)
  •  

silvermapper

KaHeMu
I thank you for your reply.
There is a specific facility in the settings of another app that I use, ColorNote, to online sync with Google, which I have done.  I am unclear how I might carry out that task with Locus Map, however.  I am all at sea, too, in ever finding such transactions in my Google account, itself, on my PC.
  •  

KaHeMu

How the topic above says first of all should be backup your Locus data on WinPC. Is it possible to save back at the same device and restore data in Locus? Second could be data transfer to other device.
The question about Google account wasn't for syncing but for the same key for Locus Pro. Imho there is no possibility syncing data within Locus Pro.
Zufall ist, wenn das Schicksal eine Maske aufsetzt, um nicht erkannt zu werden.  (Wepper)
  •  

silvermapper

KaHeMu
I have had experiences previously of differences between content shown in Windows Explorer on my PC and ES File Explorer on my 'phone.  Now I find I am able to copy the Locus Map backup zipped file using ES File Explorer while continuing to be denied that facility through Windows Explorer.  Such mysteries plague us all, probably.
I thank you again for your help.
  •  

Michal

Thanks KaHeMu for your help... Silvermapper, I think you've hit the point, however let me summarize how to backup your Locus Map data to a PC:

• Locus > More > Backup > select whether to backup settings or all data (incl. points, tracks...)
  • Copy your backup file stored in Locus directory/Backup to PC - via Dropbox, USB cable etc.
  • Maps have to be saved separately, they are not part of the backup process
When restoring data or moving to another device, make sure the device is registered under the same Google play account. Copy the backup file to Locus/backup directory, tap Menu >Backup > Restore and select your backup file
PR/support & UXW & copy, Locus team, Asamm Software, Prague
  •  

silvermapper

Michal
Well done!
It is so helpful if someone takes the trouble to list in detail steps to execute a particular exercise.
I almost embarrass myself, sometimes, at the many elementary questions I have asked on numerous forums.  I take comfort from believing that other users might find resulting information and answers useful.
  •  

WilfriedB

For the second step "Copy your backup file ... to PC" I love the Freeware utility "MyPhoneExplorer".
It connects Windows to Android via USB, WiFi, Bluetooth or infrared and not only allows full or partial backups (and restore), but also provides many functions such as synchronizing contacts and calendars, copy & paste between desktop and Android and others.
thanks
Wilfried
  •