'Navigate to' start point overridden by current location

Started by silvermapper, September 16, 2015, 10:38:21

silvermapper

Locus Map manual states in Point To Point Navigation, "It is possible to change the location of the starting point as well." and "start point - coordinates pre-filled from your GPS position, can be further edited or some other starting point can be selected by the Location Selector."  I find, when attempting this, any start point I choose is overridden by my current location when the navigation is calculated - my home, usually, as this is where I experiment and plan with Locus Map.  This happens whether GPS is on or off.  I must be overlooking something.
  •  

john_percy

You have probably got auto recalculation turned on in the navigation settings. It makes sense to recalculate the route from where you actually are of you deviate from it. However that function messes up preparing routes from somewhere other than your current location.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Michal

Honestly, I can't simulate the problem even if I switch the auto recalculation on - Locus Map generates the route from the point I define and doesn't override it with my current GPS position. 
PR/support & UXW & copy, Locus team, Asamm Software, Prague
  •  

john_percy

Looks like I was wrong. Sorry. I have had the recalculation problem before but I can't reproduce it now.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Michal

Auto recalculate can be ON before start. But if you 1) calculate the route, 2) switch auto recalculation ON, then the current position overrides the planned start point.
  •  

Michal

hi Willy,

you're absolutely right. However, Silvermapper asked about Navigate to function and we tried to find out where was the trouble. Perhaps we were successful :)
  •  

silvermapper

John, Michal and 0709
I thank you for your interest and suggestions.
Please let me intervene at this point: I tried John's suggestion to uncheck Navigation>Auto-recalculation.  It works to a degree: the start point is now what I entered.  The grey box that appears on the left of the screen and towards the top has a question mark in it rather than the distance to the first turn.  The itinerary, however, is complete and the distance correct.  Two points, however: 1. 'Distance to target' is incorrect and 2. the line defining the navigation route is not always as I have specified - it might be a much narrower and fainter line, for example, either for part or all of its length - almost as though the current location is still trying to have a say in the matter.  This suggests the operation is not the proper answer.
I shall read in detail now what you all of you have written and post again in due course.  If, in the meantime you have any further thoughts, I should welcome them, of course.
  •  

Michal

Hi silvermapper,
the "grey box" shows the distance to the next turn in case your position is on the navigation route. If it's not, there's the question mark. Similarly, the distance is "incorrect" as Locus Map measures it from your actual position and navigation line might be narrower in places that are closer to your actual position than the starting point of the route.

However, seeing your questions, there's the question 0709 has implied - if you need Locus Map to make a route for you from a point A to point B (via points C, D, etc.), it's much better to use the "Add new route & measure" function. "Navigate to" is good for navigation from your actual position and the change of the starting point position is just additional.
  •  

silvermapper

Michal
I understand what you write.  I started this thread because Locus Map was not acting for me as the manual suggested it should.  If my setup was wrong and there was a straightforward correction or action to make it work, all well and good.  I am intrigued that it does not work on my 'phone but it is not hugely important; I can use GraphHopper Driving Directions to carry out the same exercise, for example.  I should bring this topic to a close now; I have a rather more important navigation question to ask in a new topic.
I thank you for your time.
  •