Difficulty in having offline map accepted

Started by silvermapper, August 02, 2015, 17:59:52

silvermapper

My current GB map is in Computer\XT1039\Internal storage\Locus\mapsVector.  I thought I would try to move it to my SD card.  I have copied a downloaded Great_Britain.map file from Windows Explorer to a new folder at Computer\XT1039\SD card\Locus Maps.  Going to Maps>OFFLINE>, tapping the 'plus' symbol at the foot of the page and 'Add external maps', 'ADD NEW FILE/ DIRECTORY', locating the folder and the file, I get, 'Problem with 'Great_Britain.map''.  I have had this issue previously, too.  I have copied the Great_Britain.map from its current Locus location, renamed and added folders, all to no avail.  Advice would be welcome.
  •  

gynta

try to insert the extSD in the pc card reader slot and copy a map from pc to the extSD into a folder (eg."x:\LocusVectorMaps\.."

silvermapper

gynta
I thank you for your prompt reply.
I created a folder Computer\XT1039\SD card\LocusVectorMaps (instead of Locus Maps as in my original post), and copied Great_Britain.map from my PC into it via a USB cable.  I received the same message.
So that I did precisely what you suggested, although I could not imagine there should be a difference,  I extracted the SD card from the 'phone (having deleted the .map file), placed it in a card reader and copied the .map file from Computer\XT1039\Internal storage\Locus\mapsVector (so that it is known to be the same file as I have been using successfully already) to Computer\XT1039\SD card\LocusVectorMaps.  I received the same message.
It should be so straightforward; I do not understand why I am having this difficulty.
  •  

gynta

Menion

hi,

please try to select parant directory of your map on SD card, not map itself. There is probably small problem in current public Locus version so selecting of file itself may cause troubles like you have.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

silvermapper

gynta and menion
Success!
I had made several more attempts this morning before I read your latest posts.  I wondered whether Locus objected to a second .map file of the same name being requested.  I added '_sd' to the .map file name.  That made no difference.  I played with the address paths and hey, presto! it worked.  I can confirm it is something to do with selecting the folder in which the .map file resides in the first instance rather than the file, itself, although I cannot recall the precise steps I took.  I was aware the 'DIRECTORIES' panel was blank.  I have tapped 'ADD NEW FILE/DIRECTORY' as my first move on previous occasions.  For me, at least, it seems the 'DIRECTORIES' panel must have an entry before proceeding with  'ADD NEW FILE/DIRECTORY', which I did not appreciate.
I thank you both for your advice.
  •  

silvermapper

gynta and menion
Bad news, I regret to write, but for your information in case it is of use: Having a 2GB micro-SD card only, in my 'phone, I wanted to replace it with a 16GB card.  I had copied the content of the 2GB card to the 16GB card yesterday evening.  As much as I tried, with this morning's experience and solution in mind, I was unsuccessful in having Locus accept the micro-SD card .map file.  Finally, I copied the whole 2GB card content to my PC and from the PC to my new card.  This seems to have worked.  It is a stop-gap solution, however.  I am fearful of what will happen when I wish to add a further .map file.   
  •  

Menion

Hi,

please wait on next official updated (probably in Thursday). There will be some small fixes around this, so we will then see if it works for you or not. Thanks and sorry for a complications!
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

silvermapper

My difficulty continues: having been successful finally in having my offline maps in my SD card recognised, my Great Britain map that I was using on a walk today simply disappeared.  What I must have touched, I do not know.  I believe I saw a rectangle subsequently with 'Loading' inside but no map reappeared.  I was fortunate that I continued to have the same map on my internal storage and was able to switch to that.  Now, no matter what I have tried, I cannot regain the SD card map, although my other map, 'Greece' remains available.  So far, I have:
Powered off the 'phone and restarted it
Unmounted the SD card with the 'phone off and remounted it (which has been successful in other matters)
Removed the .map file in 'PERSONAL MAPS', deleted it from the SD card in Windows Explorer and replaced it with the original that I store elsewhere, in case the file was corrupted.
I am never sure what is the proper process to load a map:
Tapping the map tab displays screenshot 'Maps' attached.  Great Britain on SDCARD1 is not present
Tapping the white out of blue cross gives me 'GET MORE MAPS'
Tapping 'Add external maps' gives me screenshot 'PERSONAL MAPS' attached
My only choice is to tap 'ADD NEW FILE/DIRECTORY' it seems, resulting in screenshot 'List of maps' attached
Touching 'Great_Britain.map' results in 'Problem with Great_Britain.map'
Touching the tick mark in the top panel results in 'Problem with LocusVectorMaps'
I am using Locus Pro version 3.11.3 since being presented with the update.
I should be so relieved if someone can help me out of this predicament.
  •  

voldapet

Hello,
honestly it's quite complicated for me to follow all your steps but please let's starts from beginning:
- Close Locus
- move maps on the SDcard into folder LocusVectorMaps
- please avoid the duplicity - do not have same map in internal memory and on sdcard
- open Locus > Menu > Maps > tap blue PLUS > Add external maps > remove ALL definitions > so the dialog PERSONAL MAP will be empty
- close Locus wait for 5 sec and start it again
- open Locus > Menu > Maps > tap blue PLUS > Add external maps > Add map > Select folder SDCARD1/LocusVectorMaps
- again close Locus > wait for 5 sec and star it.

Would you please send me the screenshot of your map manager after these steps
Thanks Petr
  •  

silvermapper

voldapet
I thank you for your reply.
I am very reluctant to remove the map on my internal storage after yesterday's experience.  I tried various measures this morning such as introducing a new folder and renaming the .map files.  Following various arrangements, and although I continue to obtain a refusal at first, the maps are accepted eventually, so all is well now.
I was interested to read what you write twice regarding closing Locus, waiting five seconds and starting again.
I do not know whether a .map file of the same name in two locations causes a problem - certainly, it is what existed on my 'phone.  It is a small matter to rename a .map file, in any case.
  •  

voldapet

Hi,
the reason, why I ask you for cleaning, were the duplicates. Your definition in "Personal map" mix external folders with files. Renaming maps is good approach you can see which map is loaded.
When it comes to my advice about closing Locus and waiting five seconds. This is approach how to restart Locus and force reloading of content in Menu > Maps. Locus reloads content automatically when you add new folder. I only wanted to be sure that content were properly reloaded.
Thanks
Petr
  •