MBTiles

Started by jlar, April 06, 2011, 17:56:47

jlar

What do you think about incorporating MBTiles support into Locus?

"MBTiles is a specification for storing map tiles in an SQLite database. The files are designed for portability of thousands, hundreds of thousands, or even millions of standard map tile images in a single file. This makes it easy to transfer tiles to mobile applications such as MapBox for iPad and makes it possible to use very detailed maps without and Internet connection."

http://mapbox.com/documentation/mbtiles-file-format

You have a great product & I'm a happy (paid) customer - thank you!
  •  

Menion

hmm interesting. This SQLite storage is same as I use in Locus. Only columns have different names. Have to check if there is more diffs...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Menion

How this works? can I download some sample map for my usage? cannot find something about it on web page ...
  •  

cseu

http://mbtiles.org/

On this page, under "Example" you can find a sample file of Haiti and a link to full specs of the mbtiles format.
  •  

Menion

uff I spend more then half a day searching for some problems and solution was finally so easy ... so MBT tiles works now. I'll release some testing version (probably today) so test please until final release ...
  •  

jusc

I tested version 1.5.2.1 with mbtiles of Haiti_terain-grey. It seems to work without any problem. Menion, great work as usual  :D

@jlar,
I wonder, how can European users work with mbtiles? Are there other tiles ready for use? Weekend is to short to fly to Haiti  :mrgreen:
The description is a little poor.

@all,
is anyone using mbtiles?

UPDATE:  using the Haiti_Roads.mbtiles from http://mapbox.com/tileset/haiti-roads about 1GB Lous is initializing al long long time. I killed the task and deleted the file...

J.
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

for how long did you tried this? I'll have to check, but it need same system as old sqlite maps, so 1GB should take around 5 minutes if I remember correctly. I'm downloading now ...
  •  

jusc

I canĀ“t say, for me it seemed to be more than 5 minutes. The smaller 350mb file was initialized after one minute I think. So I thought, the 1 GB file was perhaps corrupted
I can not test at the moment, maybe later today. Sorry.
But what is the advantage of mbtiles? Better compression?

J.
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

hmm not ... just jlar wanted this so I though it's a good idea. System of MBT is identical to Locus SQLite so no better compression or something like that. I don't know this service, but seems that you can create your own maps there. Still downloading, I'll test then and let you know ...

Hmm, so ... initializing takes me cca 1 minute. Quite fast I think. Anyway this map is really useless :). It only show some small areas on Haiti island. Even without background. By description on web, there is need for some overlay, so they want to merge few offline maps into one. Egh ... I'm not sure I want to implement this right now. So similar question as Jusc, is anyone use this service? Is useful in any way? looks nice but I have no taste to examine it in detail
  •  

jlar

I'm sorry it took me so long to reply - in fact, I only became aware of the news when I saw the changelog after updating Locus Pro. Been on the road travelling for weeks, will cook up some MBTiles and give this a try.

Thank you @menion for the support!  :)
  •  

jlar

@menion this is amazing! great work...custom, GIS maps on my Android>!?>! SOO HAPPY :) Thank you.
  •  

Menion

works fine? :) I'm glad to help!
  •  

jlar

works amazingly great, so smooth! i think this will gain *much* popularity.
  •