altitude error

Started by truetarta, April 11, 2015, 23:05:04

truetarta

Hi to all.
I tried to search in the forum but i haven't lucky.
Why after recording a track, in locus I read a valor of altitude that if I check whit my suunto isn't correct? For example on my last track locus indicated 1170 mt of ascent and my watch 886 mt.
For a test I have export the track on a gpx file and import it on wikiloc app: the altitude indicated for the same track generated by locus is 887!!!!
Were is my error?
Thank for the support
Tarta!
  •  

Menion

Error is that every app consider descent and ascent values differently. One take 1% as ascent, for another app, this is still a flat, etc. if you test another app with same track, result will be again different as there is no "standard" as I know.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

truetarta

Thanks form reply!
Yes OK I understand: but the question is that the data is recording only from locus, than export to other app that show the correct value.
Seems that Locus works fine for record the track but after show an incorrect value.

edit
And if is only a "sensibility" question is possible to calibrate it?
Anyway I don't think that is the problem because all my app (and instrument too) show the same quota from the same track
Thanks
  •  

Menion

hmm and all your instrument are from same manufacturer? What about for example this tool http://utrack.crempa.net/ ? Again same result?
  •  

truetarta

Ok!
So Locus indicate 1171 mt of ascent,
Wikiloc 888 mt
Maps 3d (app for iPhone) 849 mt
My Suunto watch 869 mt
Another crivit altimeter 858 mt
And your last URL indicate 1490 mt !!!!

I know from a relation about the track that I have made, that the elevation total is around 860 mt...

So... At this point, What I can do for calibrate the sensibility of locus?
Thank s Tarta
  •  

Menion

Hmm understand.

There is no calibration in Locus. Only what you may do is increase strength of "Altitude filter" in altitude manager (GPS screen > menu) and maybe also enable "Optimize GPS altitude", which help also if you have downloaded offline HGT files.

Anyway, both settings above do not change altitudes for already recorded tracks.

What you may do with current track, is to use "Fill altitude" feature from tools menu in track screen, which compute altitude values for all points from offline HGT files.

Too much information, right? Sorry. If something is not clear, ask me :).
  •  

truetarta

All fine! I understand!
;D ;D 8) ;D ;D
Tomorrow I'm on activity and I record a new track with this options and then I post the result.
I try the medium filter instead of the fine filter and the altitude GPS correction.
The only thing I still i don't understand is why the data is "inside" the file but some app interpret  it incorrectly.
Thanks a lot for support.

edit
OOOOO YES! 8) 8) 8)
Today I made a path that, by the scheduled data with locus, indicating a total climb of 877 meters.
I recorded it with locus and using the devices of Menion I got 876 !!!
It corresponds with my Suunto 879 !!!
So the solution is:
Settings >> GPS and Location
>> Optimize altitude GPS
>> Filter medium
And in the end to use the saved path >> Complete altitude
that's all!
Locus (and its support) is the best!
thanks
Tarta
  •  

Menion

I think that such precision is more luck then best settings :). Anyway hope that next ride it will be similar ;)
  •