maps on my SD - locus problems

Started by topcaser, April 01, 2015, 15:49:36

topcaser

Just another information (and additional problem). I use a Samsung S5 phone with Lollipop. I used to have the maps on my SD card but with Lollipop, locus tells me at startup that there are problems with that configuration. Is this one reason why the speed of my sensor is not shown on the dashboard?
  •  

Menion

This has most probably nothing to do with a values in dashboard. This problem is discussed in different topic, right?

What is problem with a maps on card? Do you have rooted device and unlocked SD card? Because of not, you probably know that data on card are read-only, so it should be a problem for all maps Locus use (except Vector maps)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

michaelbechtold

Wasn't there a new way in 5.0 that would allow to grant access to SD card for apps ?
The total SD mess is with Kitkat ...
  •  

Menion

Yes there is. I really hoped it will work, but ..

Google allow since Android 5.0 access (read/write) to files on SD card. But not in a way, Locus urgently need. It allows to do something like: Locus "call" to system - write this to this file. And system take care about this. Also Locus may call "system read for me this file and give me content". But it is not enough. Many files needs direct access by Locus itself (like vector maps, HGT files, etc.) and also such "calls" over system will slow down access to SD card a lot. So whole system seems to be completely useless for complex app like Locus. Unfortunately ...
  •  

michaelbechtold

OMG - what a crazy design ! TXs for explanation, Menion !
Fully understand Locus and alike cannot work with such crap functions.
I had hoped that 5.0 would simply allow full access for an app to a complete directory e.g.; ask user once, then open door. Shame on Google.
  •  

Menion

yes exactly this I hoped too when I firstly saw announcent that Google do something with this stupidity introduced in Android 4.4. Well ... let's root our devices, which is best possible way how to get rid of this crap feature.
  •  

Andrew Heard

Quote from: menion on April 03, 2015, 07:05:02
4.4. Well ... let's root our devices, which is best possible way how to get rid of this crap feature.
you can't hope or expect an ordinary user to root their device; I don't do that because it voids warranty
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Menion

I do not hope or expect it. I just noticed that it's best solution. I also do not have rooted device!
  •  

gynta

rooting KitKat and Lollipop
Are there any good tutorials for "Dummies" ?
Yes, I know - search into google or youtube! - but there are thousands :(
Do you have your own experience - and links?
This would also help Locus support in future  ;D
..and warranty? - I don't care  8)

popej

As I understand, each program on KitKat gets own directory on SD, where it can freely write its data. Quote from https://source.android.com/devices/storage/index.html : "For example, the app with package name com.example.foo can now freely access Android/data/com.example.foo/ on external storage devices with no permissions."

Is it false statement or there are other factors, that forbid Locus to follow this rule?
popej
  •  

Menion

Locus already follow this rule as one of options. Check menu > settings > default directories > Set root directory. And here choose mentioned directory. Then close Locus, move data manually and it should work.

Just be careful, when you un-install Locus, whole directory will all your files will be lost forever!!
  •  

michaelbechtold

Yes, and this is why I prefer to have the main directory on internal storage; only mass data like (vector) maps and SRTM on external SD.
Which rings another bell: configurable directories have been a GREAT enhancement. When it comes to SRTM, it is still troublesom: some GB of SRTM sits on external SD are there already, directory points there. Then you go to a new area, where you do not have SRTM yet - guess what ... GRRRR !!
It would make a lot of sense to try external first, if file not there, look at default dir, if not there, offer to download to default (which is writeable, if Locus setup is done smartly).
Some housekeeping (move from default to external SRM) stays a manual job every x weeks, no worries here.
  •  

popej

Quote from: menion on April 04, 2015, 01:54:19Locus already follow this rule as one of options.
Thanks. I was surprised by amount of complains (not about Locus), while there exist a solution for SD problem.
popej
  •  

topcaser

Sorry, did not follow this thread after splitting. Here some information what did not working:

1. After starting the app, a warning popped up which gave me exactly this hint, that the SD card is read only. But there is a check box to remove this message permenantly

2. After this message from 1. a further error occured that something is not been able to write. I don't know the exact message anymore. Nevertheless, I imported my settings from another device (which is running Android version 4.2) and the message was gone.

I did not try to record tracks, yet, but I assume that the track is stored on the internal memory. Therefore my problem is hopefully gone. I will give you a notice if something works strange.

Thanks for your wonderful support.
  •