Backup manager - what does it backup exactly ?

Started by ohgood, March 08, 2015, 13:45:14

ohgood

I have backup manager turned on, for months now.

I have two Locus directories:
phone storage /mnt/sdcard/Locus

and

external sdcard (micro sdcard) storage /mnt/ext_sdcard/Locus

I tried to recover from both the /mnt/sdcard/Locus and the /mnt/ext/sdcard/Locus backups, but neither of them restored my waypoints  or tracks i've recorded over the years. The only way I got the data back was to WifiDirect the entire /mnt/sdcard/Locus directory from another phone, which I normally sync the directories between.

Questions:
Have I misunderstood the purpose of Locus Autobackup ?
Can, or does it backup waypoints and tracks, or should I be zipping the entire ~/Locus directory to a safe place weekly ?

If you would like to provide me the exact location of, and how to restore, the waypoint/tracks databases I would really appreciate that.

Thanks !

(and sorry for the long read) :)
  •  

Menion

Hi,

weird. You tried to restore backups from directory "backup/auto"? Because there should be stored automatic backups (not manual), that have to contains also point/track database. Files only in "backup" directory are manual backups you should do by yourself and there depend if you choose in Locus "Complete backup" or just "Backup settings".

Btw. content of backups may be simple check manually. It is simple "zip" file so feel free to open it in any archive tool. Databases for points/tracks are stored in data/database directory.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

ohgood

Quote from: menion on March 09, 2015, 08:24:30
Hi,

1 weird. You tried to restore backups from directory "backup/auto"? Because there should be stored automatic backups (not manual), that have to contains also point/track database.

2 Files only in "backup" directory are manual backups you should do by yourself and there depend if you choose in Locus "Complete backup" or just "Backup settings".

3 Btw. content of backups may be simple check manually. It is simple "zip" file so feel free to open it in any archive tool.

4 Databases for points/tracks are stored in data/database directory.

1 yes, i tried all of the files in /mnt/ext_sdcard/Locus/backups/xxxx   and they all reset the preferences of the application, but the 300 tracks and 3-4000 waypoints were not there. there were SOME tracks and waypoints, but about 10% of what should have been. i thought it was weird too, because I've used that before and it used to work, very well.

2 ok, i'll remember this

3 i'll remember this too

4 thanks ! i finally found this will looking through directories on another phone. i  copied those directories to my day-to-day phone, and BINGO all my tracks (minus a month or so) were back. in the future i will upload my /data/database* to Google Drive on a weekly basis, just in case.

again, thank you very much for the help. i've deleted the old /mnt/sdcard/Locus directory and started fresh with the imported (from other phone) database, and things are good again. it's really nice to know that everything can be transfered so easily, and there are no proprietary formats to slow things down.

soooo, thanks
  •  

Menion

You are welcome!

I'm anyway really surprised that in your backups aren't stored track/point databases. Really suggest to check files manually. Automatic backup that should be by default enabled, and which results are stored in Locus/backup/auto directory, should contain all settings and all points/tracks.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •