Train/Metro station icon

Started by Kona, February 07, 2015, 17:28:28

Kona

Train/Metro station icon.

As mostly these days I am a commuter then a hiker, living in and visiting big cities I found out as using offline maps with Locus Pro there are no Train/Metro stations icons on default db base, only train/metro stations names which are very hard to locate in terms of planning a trip in unknown environment.

As using default Locus city theme and zooming out we can find out for instance how many churches are in cities such London etc. but there is lack of main transportation links which are trains (including metro), when every bus stop is beautifully enabled.

Personally I am okay with places of worship but in my mind there are too many of them (places like London) on daily basis on default db file making a map less readable.

Is it any way to edit manually Locus Themes and get rid of church icon and bring to live Train/metro station one?

Using OpenAndroMaps Elegant City theme Stations are visible, same on online OSM maps.

Also, is it any chance to separate icon design for Rail and Metro? As they don't differ using db POI 'around you'.
But I assume as OSM don't separate it means you can't, can you?

I read poems and maps.
Locus Pro maniacal user.
  •  

john_percy

Metro/subway/underground stations should be differentiated from standard railway stations in the OSM database, but from experience this often not the case. Generally subway lines are differentiated from standard railway lines. See a screenshot from my Voluntary UK theme (current version at http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=2915.msg34582#msg34582 ) which shows the subway/underground lines in red (fainter because they are under ground here) and shows Brixton station as a red circle. The Elegant City theme you show also shows Brixton station, as a blue circular icon but doesn't show the (underground) lines at all. 

If you use the Locus maps and database, and do "transportation around you" it shows different icons for train stations and bus stops, though they are not easy to distinguish. If you want to make it easier to identify train stations, do "Transportation > Railway Station". See the screenshots below.

Finally, the Locus internal themes are available for download and modification from http://docs.locusmap.eu/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=manual:map_tools:locus_internal_themes.zip
Open (e.g.) Style City.xml and find the line
<rule e="node" k="amenity" v="place_of_worship" zoom-min="14"> and change the zoom-min to a higher number, say 16.
Find the line
<rule e="node" k="railway" v="station" zoom-min="14">
and change it to
<rule e="node" k="railway|station" v="station|light_rail|subway" zoom-min="14">

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

jusc

Quote from: john_percy on February 08, 2015, 00:56:20
Metro/subway/underground stations should be differentiated from standard railway stations in the OSM database, but from experience this often not the case. Generally subway lines are differentiated from standard railway lines. See a screenshot from my Voluntary UK theme (current version at http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=2915.msg34582#msg34582 ) which shows the subway/underground lines in red (fainter because they are under ground here) and shows Brixton station as a red circle. The Elegant City theme you show also shows Brixton station, as a blue circular icon but doesn't show the (underground) lines at all. 

Hi John,
one question, is the station of Brixton under ground too? Or is it the grey building? If stations are under ground too, we should make them a bit more transparent in our themes, if possible.
Regards J.
  •  

Kona

Quote from: john_percy on February 08, 2015, 00:56:20
...See a screenshot from my Voluntary UK theme (current version at http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=2915.msg34582#msg34582 ) which shows the subway/underground lines in red (fainter because they are under ground here) and shows Brixton station as a red circle

Hi John,

Your UK theme is great, right, all Tube (Subway) stations visible as red dots on the map, also same railway stations. I have checked it out in different cities and works nice. I am not sure why my view is different then yours here at Brixton Station, lack of dark grey building on my screen:

Same view with Voluntary UK theme:

Also I found out as it is possible to open chosen POI (Locus') highlighting Subway only or all Railway which show both off them but I would have all stations in default view then using POI db. Your theme is desired example of this need.

Thanks for sharing edit lines, I will do it, cheers.

Quote from: jusc on February 08, 2015, 17:09:43
one question, is the station of Brixton under ground too? Or is it the grey building? If stations are under ground too, we should make them a bit more transparent in our themes, if possible.

Hi Jusc,

The left red dot is 'Brixton Underground Station' (London Subway - aka London Tube, London Underground) which is obviously underground, yes.
The dark greyish rectangle is Station building at street level with escalators going underground to the platforms.

On the right of the screenshot you can find railway station Called Brixton as well in this case.

As subway systems mainly are underground in city centres, outskirts stations usually are overground being part of the same system. From my point of view if using Locus Theme we can see underground lines which show us subway system. Then stations shall be as much visible as possible in my opinion. It might be nice if we would differentiated Subway stations from Railway stations, specially in huge urban areas such London where using the same ticket on both systems is possible.

I read poems and maps.
Locus Pro maniacal user.
  •  

john_percy

Quote from: Kona on February 08, 2015, 21:17:09
I am not sure why my view is different then yours here at Brixton Station, lack of dark grey building on my screen:
My screenshot used the OpenAndromaps Great Britain map, yours is Locus maps England.

Quote from: Kona on February 08, 2015, 21:17:09
It might be nice if we would differentiated Subway stations from Railway stations, specially in huge urban areas such London where using the same ticket on both systems is possible.
As far as I can see, subway stations are not reliably mapped as such. The primary designation is "railway=station" for all sorts of railway stations, with a further  tag "station=subway" which generally seems to be missing in the mapping. At least it is in the stations that I have looked at. That's one reason I mapped the rail tracks differently.
  •  

john_percy

Quote from: Kona on February 07, 2015, 17:28:28
... I found out as using offline maps with Locus Pro there are no Train/Metro stations icons ...
This does indeed appear to be an undocumented feature (bug?) of the latest versions of the internal themes. Train station symbols are displayed if you use the outdated downloadable versions of the internal themes from http://docs.locusmap.eu/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=manual:map_tools:locus_internal_themes.zip.
  •  

voldapet

Quote from: john_percy on February 09, 2015, 09:55:00

Thank you guys. I can't remember why I removed the symbol for railway=station. It's bug but I'm sure that there was any reason for it. I've probably wanted to remove it because I wanted to get rid of red circle from railway platform. Who knows :)  Anyway I'll fix it.

As John already wrote some subway station may not be marked properly. There is another issue. The subway stations that are about 30m under ground can have different entrace in comparison with the the position of the station in the data (I'm not sure if I express correctly). However I'll focus on subway_entrace tag that would be helpful.

Iternal city theme is quite poor (ehm). Based on your sugestion:
-  to hide place of workship in lower zoom-levels
- little bit highlight the subway lines
- to differentiate railway and subway station
- to show subway_entrace

•  

Kona

Quote from: voldapet on February 09, 2015, 21:55:55
Internal city theme is quite poor (ehm). Based on your suggestion:
- to hide place of worship in lower zoom-levels
- to show subway_entrance

Hi,

Yes, it would be nice to have them all in all Locus themes.
As underground stations are slightly shifted away from the entrance, we are looking the street level location, personally I do ;) We can be surprised how far some platforms are from the entrance, true.
But the locations of Subway/Railway Stations on old Locus themes, Voluntary or OpenAndroMaps works fine to me, comparing to visited sites.

Subway Lines making visible is a great idea comparing to Railway tracks which are enabled at far zoom.

Locus themes with Locus maps are the best option to me, having plenty of information.
As other third party themes are good too, these are the top on my device, specially colour palette!
But as you said still few details are missing. I will post one example later on as can't remember now.

I read poems and maps.
Locus Pro maniacal user.
  •  

Kona

Quote from: voldapet on February 09, 2015, 21:55:55

Thank you guys. I can't remember why I removed the symbol for railway=station. It's bug but I'm sure that there was any reason for it. I've probably wanted to remove it because I wanted to get rid of red circle from railway platform. Who knows :)  Anyway I'll fix it.

As John already wrote some subway station may not be marked properly. There is another issue. The subway stations that are about 30m under ground can have different entrace in comparison with the the position of the station in the data (I'm not sure if I express correctly). However I'll focus on subway_entrace tag that would be helpful.

Iternal city theme is quite poor (ehm). Based on your sugestion:
- to hide place of workship in lower zoom-levels
- to show subway_entrace

I found Bridges Names are missing according to OSM, which is crucial in big cities as well.

Above:
- Show Train and Subway stations

When can we expect internal themes changed? :)
I read poems and maps.
Locus Pro maniacal user.
  •  

voldapet

Hi,

Good point with names of bridges - implemented.
Fixed subway stations and bridges with names will be available in next Locus version (release probably next week).

•  

Kona

Hi,

If themes updates will apply next week it would be great to solve this issue also:
Parks/Fortifications area in some cities.

Verona/Italy fortification. Locus City theme and OSM online.

Poznań/Poland missing fortification 'patch'. Locus City theme and OSM online.

I was few days ago in Verona - Italy, Locus themes show 'as it is' on OSM, but in Poznań - Poland there are missing some 'layers/patches' of the area, which are present on other third party themes using same Locus Store map, and OSM online as well.

So I'm confused where is a problem, I guess different OSM input?
For Poznań area I found this is Locus theme issue, if I'm correct.

BTW is it any chance for new vector map of Poland as current one is pretty outdated?
I know I can use third party one compiled almost every week, but they don't work with hiking Locus theme, no tourist trails, tracks appear.

Thanks
I read poems and maps.
Locus Pro maniacal user.
  •  

voldapet

@Kona
well, fort in Poznan has tag layer=-1 it means that it lays under ground. For this reason is park (the green area) rendered above the fort. You can even see the name of fort because position of labels is not influenced by layer tag.

We're facing to the some problems with tunnels or water streams. We use some workaround for mentioned elements but not for the building or forts.
The only way is to make forests or parks little bit transparent. On the other hand transparent forest areas cause another issue in Slovakia. Some forest areas are overlapped and result is different colour for overlapped regions. So it's little bit complicated to solve it. I mean it is possible but it could cause another complications...
  •  

Kona

Quote from: voldapet on March 06, 2015, 13:29:07
@Kona
well, fort in Poznan has tag layer=-1 it means that it lays under ground. For this reason is park (the green area) rendered above the fort. You can even see the name of fort because position of labels is not influenced by layer tag.

We're facing to the some problems with tunnels or water streams. We use some workaround for mentioned elements but not for the building or forts.
The only way is to make forests or parks little bit transparent. On the other hand transparent forest areas cause another issue in Slovakia. Some forest areas are overlapped and result is different colour for overlapped regions. So it's little bit complicated to solve it. I mean it is possible but it could cause another complications...

Yes, I understand what you are saying, true.
But this one works fine using third party themes with Locus map:

Locus City Theme,                                       Elegant City XL,                                     Voluntary UK
Locus Vector map - Poland

Seems like that beige colour patch is overlapping the green area only when using Locus Themes.
I read poems and maps.
Locus Pro maniacal user.
  •  

jusc

Quote from: Kona on March 06, 2015, 14:31:02
Yes, I understand what you are saying, true.
But this one works fine using third party themes with Locus map:

Locus City Theme,                                       Elegant City XL,                                     Voluntary UK
Locus Vector map - Poland

Seems like that beige colour patch is overlapping the green area only when using Locus Themes.

The question is, what do you want to see.
In my VScale theme it looks like in Voluntary theme, you see the green park with grey historic building (fort) at layer -1.
Normally this should be wrong, because layer -1 should be underground and invisible on maps.
The only correct theme for this seems to be the Elegant theme.
But I like to see a bit of underground nevertheless.  ;D

Regards J.
  •  

Kona

Quote from: jusc on March 06, 2015, 16:28:44
The question is, what do you want to see.
In my VScale theme it looks like in Voluntary theme, you see the green park with grey historic building (fort) at layer -1.
Normally this should be wrong, because layer -1 should be underground and invisible on maps.
The only correct theme for this seems to be the Elegant theme.
But I like to see a bit of underground nevertheless.  ;D

Hi,

As we can't see green area and the Fort contour in Locus theme, on others two are visible, on Elegant it looks as merged (probably you mean this saying as Elegant is correct) but still Fort is visible on my screen. I assume fort is high transparent there.

So I wish to be able to see that yard as on any third party theme which work fine.
I read poems and maps.
Locus Pro maniacal user.
  •