No Navigation Sounds?

Started by chbla, February 18, 2015, 10:53:30

chbla

Hi there,

I'm currently trying some of 0709's tcx files with the morse code tts file.
I noticed that I do not get any voice output apart from "Let's go" for all kinds of navigation.

I'm not sure what the problem could be but note that I am trying it without GPS reception by following
the track to simulate it. It works as far as the directional arrows show up in the top left, but no voice
if I get near a course point or a junction in the "on the fly" navigation mode (not sure how this is called, if I calculate the route directly in locus for testing).

If I enable the notification settings (Waypoints, Out of track, Next Point) in the Guiding Menu, output seems to work for Guiding Mode. But how do I enable this in Navigate?

Anyone got a clue?
  •  

chbla

0709 found it, it was the default setting for moving speed in the config file - apparently the default is 0 which does not trigger the Navigation stuff... I'm unsure though what exactly it is for
  •  

Menion

Hi,

did you tested navigation during movement out of house? Because when you just move with map with disabled GPS, speed of map center (which simulate GPS in this case) is ... well 0 km/h. So parameter in config file allows to set some speed for map center which may be useful in this cases - when you wants to simulate real movement with certain, defined speed.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Menion

Reason: basic users has no need to simulate movements of map center for testing sound notifications. So I see no reason why to set default value to any other then 0. Usage of this parameter is really just for testing on sofa ... or am I wrong?
  •  

Menion

Understand.

Anyway, please try to look on it from basic user - he starts locus, enable navigation and GPS is disabled in that moment (not common situation, but may happen), and after that he starts to move with map and Locus will speak some navigation orders even he still sit in car on one place and forget to enable GPS. I think, it should be really confusing. I see here a problem even a fact, that navigation react on move of map center.

Hmm solution should be disable this simulation mode at all (so even a move of map center when GPS is turned off won't have any effect) and add some extra settings "Enable simulation mode". I'll think about it. Maybe it should simplify this at all...
  •  

gynta

Quote from: menion on February 19, 2015, 13:04:01
...add some extra settings "Enable simulation mode". I'll think about it. Maybe it should simplify this at all...
Be careful, some user will think Locus can start a simulation :)

Menion

•  

chbla

I think that it should be there in the settings, not only in the configuration file :)

A simulation mode is always a huge benefit when playing around with GPS apps. Usually if you search for such an app
you are not outside or have perfect GPS reception. I think it would be a benefit if new users could try this immediately and see how the system reacts in a real scenario.
Having a simulation mode like this, where you can basically create the GPS input with the map center yourself, is a really cool feature in my opinion.

However, the parameter needs a bit more explanation, and I would remove the speed setting (in the user visible settings) so you can just toggle simulation mode and the map center reacts as a GPS sensor (more or less). I think that would be pretty nice. The speed setting adds unnecessary complexity imlho (or is there a scenario where you need different speeds for testing - does the system react differently?)
  •