track recording beeps or interval notifications?

Started by UKlocusfan, January 11, 2015, 19:39:16

UKlocusfan

Hi all,
I hope someone can give me an idea if this is possible as I can't find a way to do it myself.

Had Locus crash on me twice the other day whilst logging a walk although I am sure it was because I opened the browser and something just might have been memory hungry as Locus was fine for todays 5 mile walk.

But, when Locus used to crash it would restart itself immediately - but doesn't seem to do so this time despite me trying the keep Locus running as a service option in the settings.

Ideally what I'd like is an audible notification from Locus every half a mile so that I know its still running and logging as my nightmare is that I do a great walk but Locus crashes and so I dont have a log of it.

Now I've looked in the guiding setting but can't find anything specific and would really like a way for Locus to just give me a beep or reminder every so often so I know its running fine without having to take out my phone and look at it.

The perfect thing would be for Locus to speak the distane and a few other stats via text to voice every so often and I'm a little surprised this option isnt already built in as thats now car driving navigation works (I think lol).

Anyway, I hope I've explained this okay and would appreciate any advice or suggestions from anyone.

Thanks in advance.
  •  

Menion

Hi,

unfortunately I¨m not aware of any function that may helps here. Locus do not have any notification during track recording.

There is already a topic on notification on distance here http://help.locusmap.eu/topic/track-recording-beep-every-x-meter or generally a topic for "sport" here http://help.locusmap.eu/topic/training_manager_add_on , where such notification should also belong.

Weird is that Locus is terminated even in case of "Locus as a service" enabled. If you are using device with 2.x Android, then there are currently two major problems. One is that such devices gives really low amount of Ram memory to app for use, so crashed with "OutOfMemory" are quite common. Second is, that since next version Locus will run only on devices with Android 4.x, so even if I do any updates, it won't help you in this case, sorry.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

UKlocusfan

Thanks Menion,
I've checked out those links you kindly gave.
An interval beep for Locus would be superb to have as it does worry me a little that Locus is not auto-restarting after a crash (which happened twice in 1 day).
What used to happen was the app would crash then restart itself and because I have a sound file linked to it finding a satelllite, it would then set off the sound file upon restarting.  At that moment I would then hear it, take out my phone and see the track recording was paused and that linked with the sound playing made me realise Locus had restarted and so I simply unpause the track and the route is continued without missing out any of the distance.
However, it now just seems to crash and stay crashed and I'm a little worried about that.
Thanks for all your great work Menion!
  •  

the trekbuddies

track recording had crashed on me twice on two different devices in the last few weeks, i will get home hit stop save etc all will seam ok until you go and look at the track and find it short this is very disappointing  :(
  •  

UKlocusfan

Hey the trekbuddies.
I will be posting something on this forum in the next few days about advice for stopping Locus from crashing.  Maybe its worth you having a look at my post as it may help you as the worst thing is going to great effort to do a walk/hike/run/bike only to find that you've lost your gps route of it.
  •  

the trekbuddies

hi yes, it first happen a few weeks back gpx file was terminated normally, i got home and locus was showing my position correct, so one thing i did was to set locus to auto start track recording, thinking if it did stop it would auto start again ( this would help when i forget to hit record also!), today i was out the a different phone and different bluetooth gps reciever and the same happened again, i upload my rides to strava but prefer using locus to track as i use the bluetooth gps to save battery life, i also back up the .gpx and use in other apps (memorymap etc), i also sometimes geocache at the same time so locus is the best app to use but this track crashing is becoming a real pain   
  •  

Menion

hmm I'm surpsrised that rock-stable track recording is crashing. Guys, next time when this happen, only way for me to at least get idea what is wrong, is to create a log as soon after crash as possible. How to create a lot: http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:faq:how_to_create_debug_log

Thanks and really sorry for a troubles!
  •  

the trekbuddies

February 02, 2015, 21:03:59
Thanks I will do that next time it happens, I record rides most days it has only happened twice ( both times this year) the first time I thought it might be the GPS so I started using my other one, 69 rides have recorded without problem so its not a common problem

edit February 11, 2015, 14:36:47
...this happened again today, i was out on a ride and stopped to look for a geocache, upon stopping i noticed the map was not centered where i was, so i tapped the center to gps button and the map centered to my location but the track and blue arrow was further back down the road ( the track record had crashed , i then stopped and saved the track took a bug report ( which i cant access as it was too big to email ahhh) anyway when i got home i took another bug report this one was smaller (i guessing its since the last report was taken and may not contain any useful info) i will try to recover the first bug report but as the device is not rooted it may take some time, the bug report was #6649 for your ref and the last reported gps timestamp before the crash was 12:33:47

UPDATE: ok so yesterday i did a longer ride, i ran 2 phones, nexus 5 with bluetooth gps in my back pack worked fine all day kept recording during calls etc all ok . second phone htc sensation (no sim card) bluetooth gps using navigation along a track , worked fine for the first 35 miles then navigation went quiet,i stopped press the power button, map was where i was, track record and navigation was back down the road, i un highlighted  map at gps, scrolled map, re select map at gps, the track jumped in straight line to where i was and navigation worked again 5 mins down the road the same again.
i stopped track record and saved ,re started again, stopped navigation and restarted to see if that would fix it, just down the road same thing again, so i set screen to always on to keep an eye on things, i noticed "device connection lost" or something like that so i think this  may be causing the track record/ navigation crashes as no gps stream is being received, exited locus waited a minute restarted and all was fine for the rest of the ride, so it seams exiting and re starting locus fixes it.
as i was on a ride i did not have time to investigate more, tomorrow i will run a logcat at the same time as locus on that device

edit February 14, 2015, 15:08:23
Yet another crash today bug report submitted and screen shot, same as the last time sudden recording crash,map at gps location but track/blue arrow back down the road, i paused track recording, track time was showing 5:14 unpaused track record time went back to 4:34 the time of the crash , no further recording was possible, exit locus, restarted, gps icon was white!, exited again waited a minute, restarted all ok, if you wish for me to do any more testing drop me mail to the addy i sent bug report from , in the mean time i'll use another app :(
  •  

Menion

Hi,

thanks for your logs. I'm checking a content and cannot find any single information about where may be a problem :(.

Only interesting information as see is immediately at start.

------ UPTIME (uptime) ------
up time: 8 days, 20:08:48, idle time: 2 days, 09:14:24, sleep time: 6 days, 14:01:15
[uptime: 0.1s elapsed]

------ MEMORY INFO (/proc/meminfo) ------
MemTotal:        1899548 kB
MemFree:           69228 kB

Looks like your device after eight days of running is completely out of memory. Interesting that your device is not able to free some memory from unneeded apps.

Anyway may you please try to restart device before you start track recording in Locus and test it? Because there might be some memory problems.
  •  

the trekbuddies

hi thanks for looking into it, the last 2 days tracks have recorded all ok, i will keep an eye on the memory usage , and thinking i haven't updated to lollypop due to the memory leaks!, my other phone htc sensation also suffers from the crashes but im aware that it has less memory to play with, it only happens on the longer rides which would tie in with the memory
  •  

Menion

oki. This is anyway generally really weird. It should not matter too much on how much memory your system has. There are some defined rules which say, which application may be killed and which not. And Locus with active track recording has really high priority so it should withstand almost everything. At least it worked in that way :/
  •  

the trekbuddies

bugreport taken just now
up time: 3 days, 06:32:04, idle time: 23:49:30, sleep time: 2 days, 08:26:28

MemFree:           57404 kB

reboot
bug report taken again
up time: 00:02:15, idle time: 00:02:23, sleep time: 00:00:16

MemFree:          329336 kB

so are you saying the track recording is being killed? or do you suspect its just running out of memory?
  •  

Menion

hmm even after reboot so low amount ...

Out of memory - no. This happen only in app itself and if such issue happen, you should see "Force close" dialog. A small window with "Application was closed bla bla bla ...". So it is not your case. What happen to you, should have two reasons I think.

One is some issue in native C++ code in app. In such cases, app really just "disappear" without any message. But 1) it should be in a log, 2) app won't restart when you turn display on.

Because in log is no information, just message from system that kill an app and because when you turned screen on, map screen appear (after some loading right?), it looks more, that system itself decided to kill this app.

Did you tried to enable menu > settings > misc > Locus as a service? Maybe it should give Locus even bigger priority and keep it alive? Damn, currently I have no idea what may cause this as I'm sure, Locus took still same amount of memory ...
  •  

the trekbuddies

"Map screen appear(after some loading right)"
No map screen was loaded, locus was running as such, map was cantered at GPS location, just blue arrow and track line was back down the road as screenshot https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8lgnpwj37eg1g0/Screenshot_2015-02-14-13-21-35.png?dl=0
edit February 14, 2015, 15:08:23
i paused track recording, track time was showing 5:14 unpaused track record time went back to 4:34 the time of the crash , no further recording was possible,
so it seams locus keeps running as in map is at gps position, but track record just stops recording/being displayed on the map
  •  

Menion

Hmm I still have no idea what to do with it, sorry.

Meanwhile I found this https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=79729 , with almost 3000! votes, crazy. Are you using Android 5 on your HTC Sensation?
  •