Downloading maps

Started by chachi, December 29, 2014, 12:59:36

chachi

hello, when I download chunks of map in this case Mapquest Classic and these chunks are named certain things like the town for e.g does this mean that I am putting together slowly a puzzle by downloading the pieces? What's the point of naming each section you download if you're slowly compiling the country by download sections of it?

Also surely there must be a mirror where you can download the whole country or a state to prevent load on their servers. Downloading one state is agonizingly slow.

I'm planning to setup an old android phone which won't have 3/4g, hence the reason why I am hoping to get some states in Australia.
  •  

balloni55

QuoteAlso surely there must be a mirror where you can download
not mapquest, but nice vectormaps ;)
Open,
Locus/Menue/Downloads(Locus Store)/Land/Australia/....
for new users the first 3 maps are free for download ;D
have fun
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

chachi

Quote from: balloni55 on December 29, 2014, 13:35:24
QuoteAlso surely there must be a mirror where you can download
not mapquest, but nice vectormaps ;)
Open,
Locus/Menue/Downloads(Locus Store)/Land/Australia/....
for new users the first 3 maps are free for download ;D
have fun

Thanks for that, so within Australia I can choose states for e.g Victoria and under that there is Asamm SW, is this correct?

Update: I downloaded Victoria, seems ok, only thing I'm not sure about is main roads, freeways, highways only show numbers like S27 instead of actual names yet smaller roads are labelled their correct names, is this normal?
  •  

voldapet

@chachi
Offline vector maps are really in "folder" Asamm SW. I only notice that vector maps is better solution for downloading whole countries because have lower size then downloaded maps from "Online" section and there aren't any limits.

To your issue: I have to say: Thank you! You've found the minor bug in Locus internal themes. Primary, secondary and tertiary highways don't show the name of street/road. It'll be fixed in next release.

You can also try some theme for vector maps from community. Vector maps are rendered directly on your device and you can influence their appearance using themes. See http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:maps:change_theme_of_vector_map

Some themes for downloading: http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?board=40.0
  •  

chachi

No probs, thanks. Now if only there could be a view similar to Google's where you're following an arrow, is this possible? I can't seem to change the views.
  •  

VECTRA

Hi,

I am a new Locus pro user and I am disappointed by lossing the function "downloading raster maps" for a offline use since the new 3.8 version.
Do you confirm that is now impossible ?

I understand the licence problem with this use but for hiking or others uses, it is necessary to have a raster map like air photos and satellite images.

Have you a way to solve my problem ? Thanks !
  •  

voldapet

@Vectra
Please try to update on the latest 3.8.2 version. There were some issues in 3.8.0. However would you please give me more information which map (name) do you want to download (in case that update will not help)?
Thanks
Petr
  •