Mapsforge 0.5

Started by fzk, December 05, 2014, 13:48:26

Menion

Thanks John, it is going to be more and more complicated. Train station and tram stop fixed. Anyway fountain is even more complicated and require some more time to implement support for this (anyway it is possible).

But, if it is only this one icon, then I suggest to recreate it without using of this reversed style. Is it possible?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

john_percy

Good progress! It's Tobias' icon really. In my version, I deleted the cloned part and duplicated the left hand side instead to get it to work with Locus. However Tobias added a transparent white outline which I hadn't previously but now have (see attached).
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Tobias

I also recreated it, as well as all other weird stuff - thanks for the overview, Menion! And congrats on improving the library.
The sources weren't probably made to be used as is (as there was also lots of unnecessary tags included), so it was a good reason to make all as clean and simple as possible.

@menion: I asked above about the priority tag, does it work as in mapsforge 0.5 (only integers, negative values have the lowest priority, positive values the highest)?
developer of Elevate mapstyle for OpenAndroMaps
  •  

Tobias

The new converted version of Elevate 3 for Locus has been released, thanks everyone for the help:
http://www.openandromaps.org/en/legend/elevate-mountain-hike-theme

One thing I realized that is fixed in mapsforge 0.5 and not yet in Locus:
dy doesn't work for POIs which are marked on areas/ways. For example if I have an alpine hut like this:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/38173874
Without dy I can only show a symbol or a caption, not both.

This works fine now with mapsforge 0.5, so I removed all workarounds for showing captions for POIs on ways at very high zoom levels. This was maybe a bit premature, as now some areas are clustered with captions without symbols in Locus. But maybe this is a feature of mapsforge 0.5 which can be easier implemented and benefit the rendering of the maps in general?
  •  

Menion

Hello Tobias,

hmm priorities ... do not know if they works in Locus, I'm worried that they don't. I've anyway made a first biggest step during last few previous days ...

Follow my steps:
1) add theme for last MapsForge library to Locus/mapsVector/_themes directory
2) select this theme in Locus (keep in mind this: http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=4601.msg37265#msg37265) - btw: are you using Locus as a common user or just rarely because of creating themes?
3) is theme working for you? If so, fine
4) tap on selected theme once more ;).

Testing feature, should works fine anyway. I wanted to test this on OruxMaps app, but I wasn't able to find some options to change content of active theme, hmm, quite confusing app for me when I never worked with it :).
  •  

Tobias

Quote from: menion on June 02, 2015, 20:43:31
Hello Tobias,

hmm priorities ... do not know if they works in Locus, I'm worried that they don't.
Oh, I thought you had them in your extension as priority is mentioned here:
http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php?id=manual:advanced:map_tools:theming
At least it shows no problems if I leave priority values as they are in the mapsforge 0.5 theme.

QuoteI've anyway made a first biggest step during last few previous days ...

Follow my steps:
1) add theme for last MapsForge library to Locus/mapsVector/_themes directory
2) select this theme in Locus (keep in mind this: http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=4601.msg37265#msg37265) - btw: are you using Locus as a common user or just rarely because of creating themes?
3) is theme working for you? If so, fine
4) tap on selected theme once more ;).
Congratulations, it works :-). At the moment I have very little time at hand but will test it more ASAP.
Two things I noticed: it makes sense to directly open the mapstyle/overlay menu, the same way when an external theme with Locus styles is opened. And if I change overlays for one mapstyle, they are changed for all mapstyles; this shouldn't happen, as my overlays have different id's for every mapstyle.

You're right, I'm not really an active Locus user as I've started with OruxMaps five years ago and am so used to it. But as I design the advanced themes for Openandromaps and we have lots of Locus users I try to fill their needs as well, so I'm here and have been using Locus a lot too :-)

QuoteTesting feature, should works fine anyway. I wanted to test this on OruxMaps app, but I wasn't able to find some options to change content of active theme, hmm, quite confusing app for me when I never worked with it :).
Yes, very different UI philosophies. You have to use the beta version as mapsforge 0.5 isn't in the playstore version yet: http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2560
Then hit the map button in the top row, "mapsforge theme" chooses the theme, "tweak mapsforge theme" changes mapstyle and overlays.
  •  

Menion

I discuss "priorities" with Petr and he confirmed that we tried this system to make labeling better, but it still do not work as we wanted. System was anyway left in Locus. But really, do not expect some better results in Locus.

Theme switcher - directly open a settings is not exactly what I think it is wanted. I'll anyway do some more UI improvements here, so it will evolve over time.

Issue with changing styles ... weird. Should not happen, I'll check it, thanks.

And Orux - ah, it needs some beta. Then it's wasting of time for me as I only wanted to see this system working to better understand what you and users expect. In the end, I did it by myself.
  •  

Tobias

Quote from: menion on June 05, 2015, 11:55:57
I discuss "priorities" with Petr and he confirmed that we tried this system to make labeling better, but it still do not work as we wanted. System was anyway left in Locus. But really, do not expect some better results in Locus.

Thanks for the information. Priority is really an improvement with mapsforge 0.5, label/symbol elimination can now be controlled pretty well. Maybe there's some code you can use.

QuoteTheme switcher - directly open a settings is not exactly what I think it is wanted. I'll anyway do some more UI improvements here, so it will evolve over time.
It would be good to pop up a mapstyle switcher as with your native Locus mapstyle system (like I had in Elevate 3.0.1 and John has in his themes), so that at least cycling/hiking/city can be chosen.

QuoteAnd Orux - ah, it needs some beta. Then it's wasting of time for me as I only wanted to see this system working to better understand what you and users expect. In the end, I did it by myself.
It's about the same with OruxMaps (and Atlas/Cruiser), they only have an additional button "check/uncheck all overlays" which is handy sometimes.

I just released Elevate 3.0.2 with overlay support in the Locus version, seems like everything works as expected - except that the selected overlays aren't remembered as mentioned above.
http://www.openandromaps.org/en/new-locus-version-with-support-for-switchable-overlays

Best regards,
Tobias
  •  

john_percy

Quote from: Tobias on June 07, 2015, 15:45:47
Quote from: menion on June 05, 2015, 11:55:57
QuoteTheme switcher - directly open a settings is not exactly what I think it is wanted. I'll anyway do some more UI improvements here, so it will evolve over time.
It would be good to pop up a mapstyle switcher as with your native Locus mapstyle system (like I had in Elevate 3.0.1 and John has in his themes), so that at least cycling/hiking/city can be chosen.

Working on elements used elsewhere in Locus, how about something like this, which pops up a maps style switcher with further settings via an icon on the right:

Clicking on the "settings" icon gives (as before) the details screen.

Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

balloni55

I just released Elevate 3.0.2 with overlay support in the Locus version, seems like everything works as expected - except that the selected overlays aren't remembered as mentioned above.
http://www.openandromaps.org/en/new-locus-version-with-support-for-switchable-overlays
thanks Tobias :)
my first impression:
- install with firefox didnt work, with original Samsung Browser no Problem :)
- i have locus installed to internal SD and my Vectormaps are stored on extern SD, Elevate theme was installed automatic to internal theme folder. So at first moment Elevate was not available until i´v moved it to external theme folder. Perhaps you can add this info to your instruction file ;) for new users 8)

On my device i have problems with following settings
- Hiking + puplic transport
- city + puplic transport network
- cycling + puplic transport
up to ZL 15 a blue " i " label and maptiles are displayed well :)
on ZL16 and ZL17 tiles where i-labels on top, didnt zoom :-[

one additional question, on screenshot are two labels beside, "Rathaus Nord" and "Rathaus Süd" why that, we have only one "Rathaus" :P
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Tobias

Quote from: balloni55 on June 08, 2015, 12:54:00
- install with firefox didnt work, with original Samsung Browser no Problem :)
Yes, that's a limitation of Firefox, maybe we should add that to the FAQ

Quote- i have locus installed to internal SD and my Vectormaps are stored on extern SD, Elevate theme was installed automatic to internal theme folder. So at first moment Elevate was not available until i´v moved it to external theme folder. Perhaps you can add this info to your instruction file ;) for new users 8)
I think that is a bug limitation in Locus when locus-actions are not using the custom folder you set in the preferences. I use a different setting which works - I added my maps folder on the external SD card via "add local maps" in the maps browser, so the theme folder is on internal SD and locus-actions with automatic install work as expected.

QuoteOn my device i have problems with following settings
- Hiking + puplic transport
- city + puplic transport network
- cycling + puplic transport
up to ZL 15 a blue " i " label and maptiles are displayed well :)
on ZL16 and ZL17 tiles where i-labels on top, didnt zoom :-[

one additional question, on screenshot are two labels beside, "Rathaus Nord" and "Rathaus Süd" why that, we have only one "Rathaus" :P
These are things that I can't influence, some functions of Locus - the blue "i"s and the "Rathaus Nord" popup are not part of the theme. I don't know why the maps don't render at the i-Labels - are you using the SVG theme?

Best regards,
Tobias
  •  

balloni55

Hi Tobias,
thanks for your answer
Quoteare you using the SVG theme?
no, i installed Elevate 240dpi
QuoteThese are things that I can't influence, some functions of Locus - the blue "i"s and the "Rathaus Nord" popup are not part of the theme
so i wait on menions comment ;)
Nice evening
Wolfgang
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Menion

Blue "i" points are points from DB POI from Locus. Fact that you see a blue "i" and not correct icon is probably because Locus is not able to find path to SVG/BMP icon. If this is the problem, expect huge amount of errors on background and slower map rendering.
  •  

Tobias

I just tested your screenshot, it works fine for me with the 240dpi version,

Quote from: menion on June 08, 2015, 20:19:44
Fact that you see a blue "i" and not correct icon is probably because Locus is not able to find path to SVG/BMP icon.

If the icon is missing maybe you haven't copied the "ele_res" when you were moving it manually to the external sd card. It is crucial that this folder is up to date, as some symbols have changed. Have a look here for manual installation:
http://static1.openandromaps.org/wp-content/users/tobias/installation.txt

@menion: Is there anything I can do with the xml file here to make it work with custom maps_vector folders?
http://www.openandromaps.org/wp-content/users/tobias/Elevate3_Locus.xml
  •  

Menion

Sure sure Tobias. locus-actions should be already aware of these options, but I planned to check it before next beta version! It will definitely work ... have to :)

EDIT: so it should be fixed now. We will see in next Beta version ;).
  •