Mapsforge 0.5

Started by fzk, December 05, 2014, 13:48:26

chbla

Well that's just a matter of abstraction. You can always separate things into default and advanced mode.
For me, the benefits outweight simplicity.
  •  

Tobias

Quote from: slarti76 on May 06, 2015, 15:13:21
I just hope that other theme developers will support the Locus solution soon. However, I'm not very optimistic about the Elevate themes, as the developer already implemented MapForge 0.5, and I'm not betting on them to support two different solutions at the same time...

You're right, at the moment it seems not very reasonable.
I first thought about adapting Locus styles, too, but then I would have three different versions to maintain, as there are other apps that still require regular 0.3 themes. Adding only Locus styles wouldn't be different to the variations I developed with several xml files, which are generated out of one base theme file. The only advantage would be to have only two files instead of four, as Elements can't be made in the same file.

I still hope that one day it will be easier again :-)

Best regards,
Tobias
developer of Elevate mapstyle for OpenAndroMaps
  •  

john_percy

@Tobias: No such word as can't!
Maybe not efficiently or not without unacceptable overheads, but it could be done, I'm sure. :)
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Tobias

@John: You're right, can't is wrong, it can be done, but the costs would be way out of proportion of the benefits. I'd invest the time better in a Locus conversion of Elevate 3 :-)
  •  

Tobias

Quote from: slarti76 on May 06, 2015, 15:13:21
I just hope that other theme developers will support the Locus solution soon. However, I'm not very optimistic about the Elevate themes, as the developer already implemented MapForge 0.5, and I'm not betting on them to support two different solutions at the same time...

Good news for you, I made a script which converts Elevate 3 with mapsforge 0.5 tags to Locus, with style switcher. Works quite well, only switchable layers had to be removed and some other stuff and will be released soon. The last big problems I have are with SVG icons and Locus, probably the release will be only with PNGs.

@menion - there are strange behaviours with some icons, it's probably the SVG render engine. Some tiles aren't even rendered because of that.
The icons work fine with the one mapsforge 0.5 uses: https://code.google.com/p/androidsvg/
The former one, https://code.google.com/p/svg-android/, was replaced because of similar issues. I attached a comparison with a PNG version.

•  

Menion

May You give me link on theme and map I may use for test? Thanks
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Tobias

Quote from: menion on May 21, 2015, 22:02:53
May You give me link on theme and map I may use for test? Thanks
Sure: http://www.eartrumpet.net/temp/Elevate3_Locus_SVG.zip
One thing I found - I converted most contours to shapes to make it possible to have white outlines. Maybe the shapes of the supermarket basket etc. are a bit too complex now.
Best regards,
Tobias
  •  

Menion

Thanks Tobias, I've changed SVG libraries and not seems to correctly parse all icons. I'll test it now during morning this change with Petr and if all will be OK, we will publish new version of Locus on Google Play today. So there should be no need to invest extra work to some PNG icons I hope.
  •  

Tobias

Thanks a lot, that was very fast.
Quote from: menion on May 22, 2015, 07:05:13
Thanks Tobias, I've changed SVG libraries and not seems to correctly parse all icons.
I hope you mean "now seems to correctly parse all icons."  :)
  •  

slarti76

Thank you guys, really great that you could "marry" the new Elevate themes with Locus. Looking forward to trying that out.
  •  

Menion

@Tobias: hehe, yes, "now" is correct word :)
  •  

Menion

Hmm unfortunately I have to revert new androidsvg lirbary and return back to previously used. New library cause similar issue you see with your own themes, but with our own themes. So seems that one or second lib has some issues with certain features of SVG files.

So we should test it and fix it during next days, but not a few hours before I wants to publish a new version. Thanks for understanding,
  •  

john_percy

I came across some of the limitations myself when working on svg files for Locus.
I have just now edited Tobias's s_supermarket.svg in Inkscape as a test. I split the two grouped layers (Ctrl-Shift-G), then ran simplify (Ctrl-L) on each path once before saving. After running SVGClean on the file, I uploaded it and it worked in Locus.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Tobias

Quote from: menion on May 22, 2015, 12:01:41
So we should test it and fix it during next days, but not a few hours before I wants to publish a new version. Thanks for understanding,

No problem, too bad that there isn't one solution for all ;-)

Quote from: john_percy on May 22, 2015, 12:34:53
I have just now edited Tobias's s_supermarket.svg in Inkscape as a test. I split the two grouped layers (Ctrl-Shift-G), then ran simplify (Ctrl-L) on each path once before saving. After running SVGClean on the file, I uploaded it and it worked in Locus.

Thanks John, I tried several things with Inkscape, but not simplify - would have been too easy ;-) That solves some problems. Just have to check now all symbols :-/
Seems like the library gets hickups with too many nodes.
  •  

Menion

Fine so current SVG in Locus works for Locus themes, but not for some icons from you. Hmm, second SVG has opposite effect.

I'm now testing your icons to check, what is wrong, and seems they are missing width and height parameters.

Nevermind, I've fixed this in SVG parser in Locus, so it will work in next 3.9.1 version ;).
  •