Mapsforge 0.5

Started by fzk, December 05, 2014, 13:48:26

fzk

After a long period of stagnation the mapsforge project is now successful back for over a year. The current release is 0.4, the upcoming release 0.5 is coming soon. Each release has a lot of fixes and new features. Are there any plans to switch from the proprietary Locus mapsforge release 0.3 (?) to the "official" mapsforge release?

Klaus
  •  

Menion

I have not yet checked what news are in new releases of MapsForge libs, but I expect that lib will still be a slower then improved version I use.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Tobias

It would be great for compatibility reasons. With 0.4 not that much has changed for render themes, but that will be the case for 0.5 which is RC now. It won't be possible to provide all features for Locus then with my Openandromaps themes.

And there are already problems with Locus and maps with mapwriter 0.5, which has major improvements and is used on Openandromaps now.

If mapsforge 0.5 is still slower, it would be nice if your enhancements would be added to the official version, it's LGPL after all.

Best regards,
Tobias

developer of Elevate mapstyle for OpenAndroMaps
  •  

Menion

Modified code is available for everybody who wants. Anyway whole code is highly modified for Locus purpose. Because of this, I'll never be able to use official distribution.

Only in case, new version will bring more advanced features, I'll have to spend a few days and add improvements from Locus to new modified version.

About themes - I think, it should be a lot easier, to give me a list of tags that do not work in new Locus and are included in v 0.5, and I'll try to add support also for them to Locus.

And fact that new maps do not work on 100% in latest Locus is a big mystery for me. Format remains same.
  •  

Tobias

Quote from: menion on December 05, 2014, 17:19:47
Modified code is available for everybody who wants. Anyway whole code is highly modified for Locus purpose. Because of this, I'll never be able to use official distribution.
OK, my thought was if your improvements would be added, it would be usable for you too and easier to update.

Mapsforge is pretty active these days and there are already plans for 0.6:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mapsforge-dev/qgVmqSXiwKM
Performance is very high on the list, so maybe you could share there what you did for speed up.

QuoteOnly in case, new version will bring more advanced features, I'll have to spend a few days and add improvements from Locus to new modified version.

Here's the changelog:
https://github.com/mapsforge/mapsforge/blob/master/docs/Changelog.md
The biggest changes in 0.4 for end users would be:
- Support for device screen scaling (maps tiles have different sizes according to device dpi)
- Support for SVG files as map icons (what Locus already had)

QuoteAbout themes - I think, it should be a lot easier, to give me a list of tags that do not work in new Locus and are included in v 0.5, and I'll try to add support also for them to Locus.

That's one major change of 0.5, and it would be great if it would be compatible. Creating different theme versions could be a major headache, it's already a minor ;-)

Everthing below Rendertheme Version 4 is new:
https://github.com/mapsforge/mapsforge/blob/master/docs/Rendertheme.md
https://github.com/mapsforge/mapsforge/blob/master/mapsforge-map/src/main/resources/renderTheme-v4.xsd
priority and display (force-draw?) are already in Locus, but I'm not sure if it has the same values and function.
There are smaller underlying changes too, e.g. dy works now for symbols/captions on ways too.

Best regards,
Tobias
  •  

Emux

Modified code is available for everybody who wants.

Hi Menion,

I'm Emux one of the two Mapsforge maintainers (along with Ludwig).

We would be interested in Mapsforge modified code, how can this be accessible?

The tag matching bug seems to be solved in your version.
And any possible improvements (specially speed) would be welcomed.

I understand you have your own changes,
but all possible compatibility would certainly benefit the community.

Best regards.
Emux
Cruiser - Atlas
  •  

Menion

Hi Emux,

sure, no problem. Check attachment with current version.

I've adapted two years old MapsForge lib to Locus as much as possible, so it's not well compatible with current version. That's main reason why I do not contribute back. MapsForge will always try to be as universal as possible and I will always need something extra :).

Main changes in lib that may interest you:
- support for unlimited maps at once
- support for multi-thread (only rendering, not data mining)
- a lot of rewrote in rule checker, where lib firstly create optimized theme with only required rules
- checking of tags based on integers and not on strings
- hmm and probably another 100+ optimizations

Good luck
  •  

Emux

Thanks Menion!

We should certainly check the code.
Emux
Cruiser - Atlas
  •  

Menion

sure, no problem. If you will need some explanation to some changes, let me know.
  •  

Tobias

About themes - I think, it should be a lot easier, to give me a list of tags that do not work in new Locus and are included in v 0.5, and I'll try to add support also for them to Locus.

Hi Menion,
do you still intend to add support for mapsforge 0.5 themes?
At the moment I'm working on a new version based on mapsforge 0.5 possibilities of the Elevate theme for OpenAndroMaps, which of course doesn't work with Locus for now. Maybe it's good for testing:
http://www.openandromaps.org/en/oam-forums/topic/elevate-updates-and-test-versions-news#post-3858
Best regards,
Tobias
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: wilma.cray

Menion

Hi Tobias,

sorry for a late response.

Yes, I still think that support of major changes in 0.5 version should be useful not just for you (as a theme creator). So why not. Anyway I'll need some help. As this task is a longer one, I wants to do it step by step. So some important things first.

Best should be, if you should make just one theme for all apps right? Them may you write first (maybe first two) major things I should examine in new XML file and which you really desperately needs? Thanks
  •  

jusc

And what does it mean for all other themes?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Forum Fiend v1.3.2.
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

I think ... nothing :). All themes that works with Locus now, will stay in all cases 100% compatible. I'll take care of it, don't worry.
  •  

Tobias

Thanks for your response, I'm glad you're still into it.

Quote from: menion on February 20, 2015, 18:24:17
Best should be, if you should make just one theme for all apps right? Them may you write first (maybe first two) major things I should examine in new XML file and which you really desperately needs? Thanks

You're right, there is one major obstacle which makes it nearly impossible to convert 0.5 themes to Locus: stylemenus and categories with overlays, as described here:
https://github.com/mapsforge/mapsforge/blob/master/docs/Rendertheme.md#stylemenus

It opens up a lot of possibilities, so I made intensive usage of it in my new previews. But it needs a user interface with mapstyle and layer selection.
Other new tags may possibly be converted by a script as a workaround for the time being.

Quote from: jusc on February 20, 2015, 20:09:03
And what does it mean for all other themes?

Other apps which support Rendertheme V4 still support older themes (except Locus extensions of course), so backward compatibility is no problem.

Best regards,
Tobias
  •  

Menion

I was worried you'll need this :) ... hmm it will be task on a longer nights.
  •