Possible to edit Points on PC?

Started by TSellers, October 05, 2014, 17:57:04

TSellers

I have a points file with 55 entries in it. I made the mistake of adding text after the Point number. I should have only placed the number in the Icon & Name field, then the details about the point in the description.

I know I can edit the points in Locus on the Android device, but that is painfully slow and tedious. Is there a way I can open the file that contains the points after I transfer it to a Windows PC, and edit it with a Windows program before moving the edited file back to the Android device?
  •  

berkley

Yes, you need to find your waypoints database on your device. It's a SQlite database. A decent while ago I was working with a plugin in Firefox to edit these files,  unfortunatly I forget the name for this plugin.

Always remember to backup your files!!!
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

hmm it's possible to edit point's name as Mathias wrote, but it's not possible to edit it's description. File is stored as Locus/data/database/waypoints.sqlite. Anyway if you need to edit more then name, I really suggest to export points as GPX file and edit points data in text file. Then import points back to Locus.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Christian

The add-on for Firefox is called Sqlite-Manager (https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/sqlite-manager/) and its very comfortable to use. But better use a copy of the waypoint database.
For editing textfiles on PC i recommend Notepad++.
Hth,
Christian
  •  

TSellers

Thanks everyone. It sounds then like Menion's suggestion would be the way to go, because I want to take the text that I currently have in the Name field, and move it to the description field. I get the impression that I can then use Notepad++ to edit that file before moving it back again in it's new and improved flavour.

(Although I am doing this for my job, I am using my personal device with Locus. Now my co-workers are all complaining that their Gov't issue Blackberries cannot do what I am doing with my ancient SGSII and Locus.)
  •  

Christian

If you edit with Notepad++ please note that your entries should not contain these characters:
< > & " '. If you want to use it have a look at http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_syntax.asp -> Entity References.
Otherwise the syntax is not valid and re-import will probably fail.
Christian
  •  

TSellers

Thanks for the Head's Up on that. I did an edit and then imported the file back. I then exported it as a GE file, the text changes all seemed to work, but the pictures were no longer present for some reason.
  •  

berkley

Hmm maybe we can help you a bit better when you give us some sample files. Before and after your edits.
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •