[APP] - version 3.3.X+ (updated 4.10.2014)

Started by Menion, October 03, 2014, 12:49:31

CaptKaos2

Quote from: aberfoyle on October 16, 2014, 03:12:05

1) The order of screens is not consistent.

3) A track name cannot be fully seen on the list screen if it is too long.  Only when the track is displayed on the map screen, is the name seen in full over two lines

2) Track List screen: The eyeball icon replacing the check box is interesting, but I'm thinking it might be better to keep the normal convention of check box, rather than introduce a new paradigm (I was confused)

Read this yesterday and was interested in your reply Menion.

1) Having been a user of Locus for a while, and the action of the back button IMO is correct, as you wrote " Locus works this way - map is center point of everything and every action that leads to map"

3) Not a problem with Locus, all tracks that I write are short names, eg Dart24 = Dartmoor Double Dozen cache route.

12) I personally like the new way of selecting/displaying Tracks and Points

CK
  •  

Menion

- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

michaelbechtold

@aberfoyle: 1) ... I can't imagine that "back" button take me to other place then to "Exit". If more people think, that Locus should keep a history of all visible screens and back button should go through all screens back, ...

Menion, I can :-)
Using Locus since years, accumulating more and more POIs and Tracks, I more often have one of those lists in front of me, select an item, and tap the map icon to get to the place. If it is not what I looked for, I have to navigate to th elist again, find the place where I was etc.
So a history to get back to the list position by hitting the "back" key would really help.
Cheers
Michael
  •  

balloni55

V3.3.1.2
Hello menion
congratulation for big and successful step of POI/Track label selection in settings!  ;D
Not freeze until now!!! ;)
one small idea, if a label from PIO is displayed, user has to click in map to hide it if he don´t want to work with it. So it would be  also a good solution to hide this label when map is moved away from this POI.

little wish, is it possible to display start and end dot of a track in different colour? 8)

On problem with track :-[
i can t open a photopoint in a track, it is also not possible to edit a photopoint´. In "edit on map" using the arrows the label for this point is not available ???
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

gynta

Quote from: balloni55 on October 18, 2014, 13:09:53
little wish, is it possible to display start and end dot of a track in different colour?
Really a little wish...
...but a great idea ! :)

jusc

Quote from: balloni55 on October 18, 2014, 13:09:53
little wish, is it possible to display start and end dot of a track in different colour?
Why not,  :D but you can set instead dots start/stop icons (symbols) in settings/ map objects & representation.
Regards J.
  •  

gynta

balloni55

LMC 3.70.0 AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Menion

•  

Menion

Quote from: aberfoyle on October 16, 2014, 03:12:05

9) In an actual track (not sure if I recorded it in Locus or from other software) I see my max speed is 30.8.  But, I have two laps showing higher speeds of 37 and 34 mph.  I set the laps to be shortest length possible.

Thanks for a track on email. You are correct. In case, you choose 100 m (328 ft) as a lap length, in these cases, result is as you wrote. Anyway I currently do not know what to do with it, because

1) max speed of track is just recorded value from GPS
2) average speed for a lap is computed simply by distance / time on lap

In your case, spaces between points are quite big and lap separator (328 ft) is really low. So in this case, probably due to bad GPS precision, change in location was quite big and result is this.
  •  

gynta

Menion

it was reaction on last post, so on balloni's post. I also prefer dots and because small track overviews already has two colors for start/end points, I'm going to check now, possibility to apply this also on a track on map

EDIT: done
  •  

Christian

I want to compliment aberfoyle for the assiduity and patience to write down all the li'l stuff. A software growing so fast as Locus needs some reflection on the details sometimes. Thanx for that. And i can confirm most of the items in his list.

The problem with long names in tracklist exists for one year.
Quote from: menion on October 17, 2014, 18:00:44
@aberfoyle: uff, you probably not yet know, that I don't like too long posts :)
3) I do not consider this to be a problem. Make your names shorter and another important information place into description (that should be also visible in list. At least part of it)

As you can see in this thread, menion promised to keep this in mind. So i'm waiting patiently.

Due to this problem I changed some times ago the syntax of the naming and renamed and shortened all my tracks in DB and on PC also - a lot of work. Now with version 3.3.0 i have 38 characters in one line on Galaxy Note instead of 33 before (smaller font size in list??) but most of the long names are still cutted. With 3.3.0 there is a small teaser from description visible in tracklist. Thats great and a little help! So i have to change all of the description to use this as a workaround for the missed second line.
But with this feature showing also the map thumbnail and some values (height meters are missed!) the list is tattered and tracks are difficult to find when a lot of tracks in the list. And i have a lot of tracks.
So i suggest to solve this new (small) problem and keep the tracklist scalable make a foldable container wich is closed by default and can be opened by tapping on the track name. This container can contain all the preview and values and the teaser of the description and other stuff still to come. The list is going to be a list again.

I guess new problems are generated when Locus is pimped by mini maps, thumbnails and more information because the area which can be used has still the same size. So be careful when pimping ;)

I'm old school: expecting compressed information, no trumpery, K.I.S.S.
So i'm a little bit afraid that Locus can become ... to big and multicolored. May be the young dudes expect it. Me not.
Functionality has the priority. And no software should force the user to do something he doesn't want.

Regards,
Christian

•  

balloni55

On device with small screen the right side of large label is under right side panel, with thick finger it is difficult to touch the arrow button and not the button of right side panel.

if i start to edit a track and open trackdetails, after click on back button the fields of trackedit are grayed and an orange popup window apeares.
View My Video
in attached track the first and last 800 m are the same street, see what happen if i try to jump from point to point
View My Video

LMC 3.70.0 AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

aberfoyle

Hi, thanks for checking into the max speed vs lap speed situation.  Using more realistic lap sizes I'm sure there is either less a problem or not a problem at all.  I was just playing with the extremes. :)

Also, I had a thought on how to get back to the track list position from which I went either to the map or to the information screen from a particular track. 

Can you add a function to the information screen that takes one back to the track list positioned on the track that is shown in the information screen?  This way there is no need to worry about the Android back arrow.  Since I already go to the information screen from the map screen (touch track), it is not a burden to then choose a function that lets me go back to the list from that screen.
  •